Author Topic: What are the five worst U2 songs?  (Read 46958 times)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
Re: What are the five worst U2 songs?
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2010, 07:02:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone else keep going "  :o  ???  :P  :-X  :o " every time they see some of their favorite songs pop up in a bottom 5 list?  I have to constantly remind myself, "Everyone's tastes are different.  It's okay.  It doesn't mean anything...."  ;D

Yes, I do cringe when some of my favorite songs are described as being horrible... :) But I try to think that the songs I dont like, someone else does. However, when I dont like a U2 song, I generally just don't like it. I dont blast it. I just dont like it. I have no need to rip it apart and describe how terrible I think it is. Mostly, I think that often a song just doesnt resonate with me, more than strongly disliking it for any other reason. Or I dont like the music. Like Mofo--I dont care what the words are, the music just irritates me. However, other people love it. To each his own, I guess. But I still contend that Breathe is a fricking brilliant song--with or without cuckatoos. (Which, btw, I think is a great line, so there. He was using a colloquialism. Relax, people.)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2010, 07:15:38 AM »
Does anyone else keep going "  :o  ???  :P  :-X  :o " every time they see some of their favorite songs pop up in a bottom 5 list?  I have to constantly remind myself, "Everyone's tastes are different.  It's okay.  It doesn't mean anything...."  ;D

I got a heart attack when The Fly was mentioned in one.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2010, 07:22:26 AM »
I prefer to focus on the positives rather than the negatives - that's just my nature. ;D

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2010, 08:10:28 AM »
Mostly, I think that often a song just doesnt resonate with me, more than strongly disliking it for any other reason. Or I dont like the music. Like Mofo--I dont care what the words are, the music just irritates me.

Hey MarsGirl!  Good thoughts.  I wanted to pick this one part and say something.  It hit me when you said the music in Mofo just irritates you.  I totally concur!  Believe me, I'm all for experimentation and stretching musically, but maybe the biggest reason I don't enjoy Mofo is because it's like an anti-melody work, and for me U2's biggest strength across the board are their musical and vocal melodies.  For me, I think that's why Mofo seems like a non-U2 song, devoid of that element.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2010, 09:48:24 AM »
In no particular order, they're all hated about the same

1. Stand Up Comedy
2. Trip Through Your Wires
3. Mofo
4. God Part II
5. Miami

(I could just have a list of songs like Red Light, The Refugee, and With a Shout but those would seem like obvious answers)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2010, 09:58:50 AM »
A lot of the songs mentioned on this thread proves that U2 fans are not lacking a sense of humour.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2010, 10:13:39 AM »
Mostly, I think that often a song just doesnt resonate with me, more than strongly disliking it for any other reason. Or I dont like the music. Like Mofo--I dont care what the words are, the music just irritates me.

Hey MarsGirl!  Good thoughts.  I wanted to pick this one part and say something.  It hit me when you said the music in Mofo just irritates you.  I totally concur!  Believe me, I'm all for experimentation and stretching musically, but maybe the biggest reason I don't enjoy Mofo is because it's like an anti-melody work, and for me U2's biggest strength across the board are their musical and vocal melodies.  For me, I think that's why Mofo seems like a non-U2 song, devoid of that element.

I agree. The songs that resonate best with me are the ones that are complex, making me feel like I'm floating away in a river of sound... I love songs like Breathe and Drowning Man which make use of non-traditional rock instruments (cello, violins). I like to focus on one instrument and listen to how it adds to the overall song. I like to hear things with "multiple ears." If the song is good enough, I can pick out every instrument, yet also hear how it fits into the whole. Music that makes me want to move (Crazy Tonight) or inspires me to sing even though I have a lousy voice (Breathe, Drowning Man, With a Shout) is the music I love the most.

I like REM but I have trouble listening to a whole record because the melodies are often kind of strange, rubbing me the wrong way in the same way Mofo does... like the music isnt whole with itself or something.

And, lastly, as a person with an English degree, lyrics are highly important to me. I love the study of words. So a great song is one with both great words (words that move me) AND great music to follow. I don't love the song as much if one or the other element is missing. I can love a song for its sound alone, but what makes my favorite is the one that has both the music and the lyrics that move me.

Offline DrDoom171

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2010, 11:36:56 AM »
Songs I dislike by U2:

1.  Man and a Woman
2.  Mofo
3.  4th of July
4.  the "Fez" part of Fez-Being Born (I like the "Being Born" part just fine)
5.  One Step closer to knowing

Songs that make me sad  :( to see on this list as they are all some of my favorites:

1.  Unknown Caller
2.  Please
3.  God Part II
4.  The Fly

Offline dferry09

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Gonna go where the bright lights and big city meet
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2010, 07:23:50 PM »
1. A Man and a Woman
2. Grace
3. Wild Honey
4. Miami
5. Magnificent (this is a new entry. decided today its a bit dull. chorus is ok, but, nah)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2010, 07:26:10 PM »
Subjective opinion or whatever, but I feel deeply sorry for people who hate Mofo, they're really missing out.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2010, 07:37:06 PM »
Everyone knows "Wild Honey" is a terrible song

Speak for yourself. I love that song.

Anyways, as much as I hate making a worst of list...I will.

1. Elvis Presely And America - No matter how hard I try, I can't find anything good in this "song". I gave up.
2. Scarlet - Bores me to tears.
3. Grace -
I can enjoy this song on certain days, but most of the time I stop ATYCLB after New York

I can't think of two more.

Two of my favorites  :D :D :D  Oh I see Wild Honey here too. I like that one as well  :D :D :D

Well , the old timers here know I suffer from bad song disease!  ;)

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2010, 07:46:33 PM »

I'd believe that, except for the fact that you're a big fan of U2 and Gavin Friday and not Taylor Swift, etc   ;D

Offline vertigo 77

• Stateless
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »
1. Sweetest Thing-just from the first paino chords I push >
2. All Because of you
3. Yahweh
4. Playboys Mansion
5. Wake up Dead man-I was listening to it and just seem too blasphemous about the resurrection to me.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2010, 08:14:52 PM »

I'd believe that, except for the fact that you're a big fan of U2 and Gavin Friday and not Taylor Swift, etc   ;D

Why thank you crossing_go !

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2010, 08:56:52 PM »
In no particular order, they're all hated about the same

1. Stand Up Comedy
2. Trip Through Your Wires
3. Mofo
4. God Part II
5. Miami

(I could just have a list of songs like Red Light, The Refugee, and With a Shout but those would seem like obvious answers)

Great list right there.

Cheers,

J