Author Topic: what's the main meaning of "Moment of Surrender"  (Read 2982 times)

Offline 9clock

• Stranger in a Strange Land
what's the main meaning of "Moment of Surrender"
« on: August 09, 2009, 08:01:45 AM »
I like this song very much ,but can't figure out the real meaning behind the song. the lyric is complex for me, what does it mean? anyone could help me to analyze?

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: what's the main meaning of "Moment of Surrender"
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »
As I read it, it's about a man who's on his last legs in desparation- I believe Bono said it was a drug addict. He can't even recognise his own face in his reflection, (I could see in the reflection / A face staring back at me) he is shunned and ignored by the world (I did not notice the passers-by / And they did not notice me), he's suffering just by living (The 'stations of the cross'), he doesn't even want to live any more (Counting down till the pain would stop) and finally, at the titular 'Moment of Surrender', he gives up completely.

BUT it's not all bad, because his 'story' continues into 'Unknown Caller'. :)

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 12:33:46 PM »
it's about surrendering your soul to the ATM machine.  :P  ::)  is it really that difficult to get the real meaning? it's a gut honest song really.

Offline AndyHusney

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 12:46:51 PM »
I don't really think this guys story continues into Unknown Caller. Moment seems more like some sort of addiction or something, while Caller is more of a psychedelic drug thing. THAT'S when things talk to you. Like your phone, for example. I think Moment is just about giving up on life really, being at the Moment of Surrender where nothing matters and you're just done, for whatever reason.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 01:57:19 PM »
Well, Andy, Bono himself said UC is a continuation of Moment of Surrender, with the guy on the verge of suicide when he begins getting text messages from the 'unknown caller' - God, a friend, whatever. But everyone's interpretation is of course individual!

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 02:28:50 PM »
for those of us that are spiritual, the moment you surrender yourself to God is a beautiful one. when you call out for something that is bigger than you and bigger than anything material in this world. God will answer but not usually how you think, or want, or even when. but it will happen. so this guy in the song MOS is on heroine and everything has gone wrong. he sounds just broken and invisible. and instead of doing himself in, he surrenders himself to God.

And it is carried on into Unknown Caller, yes. or it's certainly related. Because Unknown Caller is an answer to this guy's plea. God didn't directly type a text message, lol. But through the odd text message God answered. The message was the wake-up call for this guy and it told him what he needed to do and provided him comfort. Restart Reboot yourself move all the sh@t in your life to the trash. Force quit - stop all this nonsense. stop doing all the same things that got you into this mess. stop abusing yourself. it's the moment he is 'born again' so to speak. and this is a common theme in U2 songs. also in Fez/Being Born. Where at the beginning Edge's singing is imitating the sound of a baby. symbols of purity, of newness, of an un-programmed life, etc. We have all been programmed to an extent and we have to clear that bad programming and rid ourselves of viruses. arm ourselves with some strong anti-virus software, etc. this is a very modern spiritual album. one of U2's most spiritual albums.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 01:34:58 AM »
Yes I agree that this is one of U2's most spiritual albums-quite a remarkable one. I don't think a lot of people see it that way though.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:32:14 AM »
it's interesting and i think it says a lot of positive things that this band has become even more spiritual. that they haven't just held onto faith but they've let it evolve in them. i'm not personally the church going sort that i'd sometimes like to be, i just don't feel comfortable because for me spirituality is more personal, but i do have a strong faith that i wrestle with quite often. music is pretty much the church i belong to. and i often find a real connection w/spirituality through the music of U2, and Bach among others. It's a feeling in the music, and sometimes the words, but the music and the way it vibrates through your spine and your heart is where it's at.

i guess if some folks don't get the spiritual meaning of this album, i guess it's okay. it's a little bit of a shame though. still if someone isn't getting the spiritual message from the lyrics, as long as it stirs something inside, and they're filled with positive energy - that is also such a great thing. that's the essence of great music in my book, whether people want to call that spirituality or something else, they're hopefully getting something from it.

White as Snow is also an incredibly spiritual song...i would think that there would be no doubt whatsoever of the meaning(s) and the message of this album, with images of purity, the lamb, infinity, the heavens, the moment of surrender, being born to sing 'his' praises, God answering in mysterious ways in the song unknown caller (mysterious ways is also a spiritual song if you didn't hear it that way...'on your knees boy!'... she/God moves in mysterious ways!').

these guys filter nearly everything they do through their faith. beautiful.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:34:42 AM by Mr. BonorFLYd »

Offline AndyHusney

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »
I guess I don't read everything ol' Bono says. I just sorta assumed, I guess from reading the descriptions of songs in the Rolling Stone album preview, way back when. I believe it said he is on some sort of drug and his phone is talking to him. But hey, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:12:53 PM by Joe90usa »

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 04:39:15 PM »
spirituality can be a drug. same with music.  :) and also some cultures, shamen use a drug to connect with spiritual visions.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:46:06 PM by Mr. BonorFLYd »

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 05:42:16 PM »
Nice posts, Mr. BonorFLYd.  I think you are right on the money.  That's exactly how I have heard and interpreted these songs. Spirituality anchors this album, and informs its lyrics.  i agree that you don't have to be a spiritual person to enjoy the album, but it does add an extra dimension for those of us that are.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 10:05:14 PM »
hey thanks! i've always liked this about U2. they're not afraid to sing about what they believe in. and yes, part of the brilliance is we can listen and enjoy it on different levels because there are often different ways to interpret the lyrics.