Author Topic: Possible Croke Park - Dublin Dates  (Read 3710 times)

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
Possible Croke Park - Dublin Dates
« on: January 04, 2009, 11:34:03 AM »
the GAA have updated their 2009 event listing.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There are some entries in there which raised my eyebrow so to speak !

Next May there are 4 events with no dates, entitled "Proposed Stadium Event tbc", (I read a rumour about 4 Crok Park dates  while back)Also, in July there is an entry for July 19th entitled "proposed concert date".  Of course if they play Croke Park(capacity 80,000) there will probably be 3 to 4 gigs. (They did an incredible 3 last time out). These gaps in the stadiums busy schedule are strong possibilities. Brit pop act "Take That" have a concert already booked in for June 13th.

It should also be noted that Bono said when talking about the O2 Dublin, that they would have to play there, and play there more than once. This would be the ultimate U2 concert as having been there recently, it's the best indoor venue I have ever been in, and I include several big venues I have been in, like Madison Square Garden, Fleet Centre Boston and Wachovia in Philly, The claim that the O2 was custom built for music and not sporting events is 100 % correct.

All of this this got me thinking about where they will tour first - The U.S. as normal, or Europe ? - who knows, it's possible they will change things around this time.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Re: Possible Croke Park - Dublin Dates
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:14:25 PM »
Dang ... you're stealing material from my OTR tonight. ;)

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 06:54:47 PM »
Dang ... you're stealing material from my OTR tonight. ;)

What do you know that you're not telling us m2?   ::)  I guess we'll just have to wait...

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 07:52:54 PM »
Oh, nothing ... just planning to mention that link and say what FAYF said pretty much. :)

daveyg

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:14:15 AM »
All of this this got me thinking about where they will tour first - The U.S. as normal, or Europe ? - who knows, it's possible they will change things around this time.

Over the years I've seen U2 live, Ireland always seems to be somewhere slap centre of the tour somewhere. Just the general thing I've noticed. But assuming the Croke Park dates are in fact U2 dates (*Homer Simpson dance*), it looks like they will be kicking off their tour this side of the water with their Irish leg either first or at the top few gigs of the tour. Strangely, I prefer catching them towards the end of a tour when they've ironed out some antics on stage.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:15:57 AM by daveyg »

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:25:49 AM »
Yeah I prefer to see the band after they've already done a tour leg too.  If those "proposed events" are U2 they could be opening the tour in Ireland for a change!  That would be pretty manic!

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 09:53:21 AM »
It's still very much speculation at the moment so lets wait and see.

Regarding Irish gigs:
If they end up doing the O2 Dublin(14,000 max capacity), the demand will be phenomenal, and they will get their ar**s kicked like they did in 1989. Croke Park is the most likely place for them to play over here, so it's a question of what slots are available, in the stadiums schedule, and there are not that many openings.

Any time is a great time to see U2, at the start or end of the tour !

silvrlvr

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 02:57:37 PM »

It should also be noted that Bono said when talking about the O2 Dublin, that they would have to play there, and play there more than once. This would be the ultimate U2 concert as having been there recently, it's the best indoor venue I have ever been in, and I include several big venues I have been in, like Madison Square Garden, Fleet Centre Boston and Wachovia in Philly, The claim that the O2 was custom built for music and not sporting events is 100 % correct.

It would be marvelous to hear a band in an arena designed for music, rather than sports. All those places can kill a good concert, although the Palace of Auburn Hills seems to be an okay venue.

I wouldn't be surprised if they played some kind of special gig at O2 -- maybe a charity concert, where they could charge steep prices for the tickets and then it could be telecast. Just dreaming out loud here, but it sounds like they would like to play there.