Author Topic: MGMT  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
MGMT
« on: January 06, 2009, 12:40:07 PM »
Anyone listen to MGMT’s “Oracular Spectacular” this year?  I kind of dug it right away, but a lot of it seemed to repetitive and throwaway to me at first.  However, I still like its shiny beats and was happy to see it on a lot of “Best of 2008” lists this year.  Not sure if I’ll still like it in 2018, but it had some surprising staying power for me throughout the year.

I was just realizing the other day that there’s some parallels between MGMT’s and U2’s debut albums: both talk a lot about growing up and loss of innocence.  The big difference is U2 was singing about spirituality and loss earnestly, whereas MGMT sings about partying ironically. 

Anyway – they’re a good, synth-based, dirty pop fix if you’re looking for one.

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
Re: MGMT
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »
I love their song Time to Pretend…….it is very infectious. Makes me want to go dancing!  A very simple song but it works for me

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:08:05 AM »
I am not a big fan but they are popular in the UK

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »
Not to toot my own post, but MGMT is mentioned in this LA Times artile on "Get on Your Boot's."  And it's a great, great review.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 04:51:12 PM »
Great article.............thanks for sharing!!!

Revolver7

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:26:07 PM »
MGMT seems like one of those bands that I may like someday...I just haven't really dug into them yet!

Boom Cha!

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:58:19 AM »
I've never heard anything from this group yet. I want to, because of The Killers. Brandon Flowers says he wrote Neon Tiger trying to write like MGMT.

Offline Chas

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »
Oracular Spectacular is a good album imo. Time To Pretend and Kids are the two best songs on it imo.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 10:01:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anyone listen to MGMT’s “Oracular Spectacular” this year?  I kind of dug it right away, but a lot of it seemed to repetitive and throwaway to me at first.  However, I still like its shiny beats and was happy to see it on a lot of “Best of 2008” lists this year.  Not sure if I’ll still like it in 2018, but it had some surprising staying power for me throughout the year.

I was just realizing the other day that there’s some parallels between MGMT’s and U2’s debut albums: both talk a lot about growing up and loss of innocence.  The big difference is U2 was singing about spirituality and loss earnestly, whereas MGMT sings about partying ironically. 

Anyway – they’re a good, synth-based, dirty pop fix if you’re looking for one.

I just came across this thread I started about MGMT from a long time ago, in a forum far, far away.... "Not sure if I’ll still like it in 2018..." I said in 2009.  And I still think Oracular Spectacular is a pretty SPECTACULAR album.  I'd probably rank it in my top 10 albums of the 21st century, actually.

I also really like Congratulations.  But I had a hard time getting into the MGMT album itself, besides a couple of songs.  I didn't mind "Little Dark Age" (song) for a few weeks this fall, but I confess that I haven't listened to it much since mid November. 

We'll see how Little Dark Age (album) sounds (supposed to come out soon).  I'd love to see them not be allergic to "pop" -sounding songs again.  Because even the most poppy "pop" -sounding song from MGMT is still a pretty f***** up affair.