Author Topic: 'Walk On' Support Thread  (Read 202901 times)

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
  • There is no Them, only Us
Re: 'Walk On' Support Thread
« Reply #5325 on: December 09, 2012, 04:33:01 AM »
jen,

Very upsetting to see how your sister has used her illness as a means of controlling situations and others. I give you a tremendous amount of credit for not contributing to her behaviour. I also give you creidt for realizing that some people who have this illness are truly in need and do want to get better. I agree it is very difficult not to hold others accountable for the actions of a few.

Have you visited the Depressed People's thread on the forum? It is a place where those of us who have experienced depression and living with those truck by it can go and talk. I strongly suggest checking it out if you haven't done so already.

In the meantime I hope that you find the strength to handle your sister and her illness and that she finds the strength to address it as well.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #5326 on: December 09, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »
jenniferh,
I am sorry you have this burden but that you also are a loving person and have
given so much to your sisters support...I pray you will find a way to get threw this
and her too...((hugs))

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #5327 on: December 09, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »
Beli, Ocean - thanks

I have been to the depressed people's thread. I'm a bit wary of it because I have noticed some peoples behaviors over there that bother me and I question their motives. (One of the reason's I did not post this warning post on that thread is because I am sure it will offend a few people.) I've learned to identify people's motives, but it is a bit more difficult when you are not able to engage them in person. So I hope I am wrong in my thinking.

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #5328 on: December 10, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »
Jen, I completely and totally understand. I am so sorry you all have had to go through this.
Is your sister older or younger than yourself?
I don't take your words as harsh but as the warning you meant.  It is a good warning to us all.
I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #5329 on: December 12, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »
jen, I have bipolar disorder and diligently go to therapy and take my medications every day without fail. Full-blown type 1, the kind that is stigmatized and gives people the creeps...and I'm going to go back to school for a career change in January. People who meet me can't tell unless I specifically give them information about my experiences dealing with my condition. I've had people say, "No way!" when I "come out" about it. My last and hopefully final hospitalization was almost ten years ago (only one prior to that), and that was before most of the medications that help me were on the market and FDA approved for my condition. Not all of us are dangerous. In fact, most of us aren't. There is hope for those of us who are treatment adherent.

And then there is my ex, who also has it, and refused to take meds and only occasionally went to therapy. He is an ex for many reasons, but many if not most of those reasons can be boiled down to problems caused by his refusal to take medication. His life and the lives of everyone around him would be a lot easier if he treated his condition. I couldn't take it anymore, so I can definitely see where you are coming from. He basically had this idea in his mind that everyone around him was the cause of his problems, and/or had the responsibility for solving/controlling his problems, and that is very, very difficult to deal with. He started getting manipulative and emotionally abusive towards the end, and I pulled the plug on the relationship.

That said, there is something called anosognosia, which is when a mentally ill person lacks insight into the fact that she or he is mentally ill. Half of schizophrenics have this; I don't know what the percentage is for bipolar - it's not as high as for schizophrenia, because most of us have some asymptomatic periods, and then can look back and see that we were ill, and proceed to treat it accordingly from that point forward, while some never gain that perspective, and no one knows why. The hard part for both the patient and the loved ones is that whether or not one has anosognosia is not volitional. It's luck of the draw and not something anyone would choose.

And there are some, like my ex, who acknowledge the diagnosis but think they are above treating it - treating is OK for other people, just not them - he'd tell you he was bipolar if asked, but beyond that, did nothing to treat it. He had a "this is WHO (not how) I am and people just need to deal with it." He basically over-identified with his condition to the extent that it became his defining characteristic. It sounds like your sister may be in the same boat. I feel for you, because it's easier to dump a boyfriend than a sister.

Offline jabw10

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #5330 on: December 13, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
((HUGS)) prayers & strength to you, jen... it sounds like such a tough situation :(  seriously can't imagine how i'd fare if it were my sibling.  just so painful & frustrating...

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #5331 on: December 14, 2012, 01:44:01 PM »
Prayers to all the families involved in the Connecticut elementary school shootings today

Offline jabw10

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #5332 on: December 14, 2012, 03:58:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Prayers to all the families involved in the Connecticut elementary school shootings today
Agree  :'(

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #5333 on: December 14, 2012, 06:01:02 PM »
Agree  :'(
Me too. So, so sad.

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #5334 on: December 21, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »
I feel like I constantly post about my mother's health here, but would just like some good thoughts for her today...she's been having problems with her pulse ox readings today (the degree of oxygen saturation in her blood), so I'm a bit worried. She's a little short of breath and hasn't been able to do physical therapy this week. I'm hoping she doesn't have anything serious going on and of course, hoping she won't have to be in the hospital on Christmas.

Looks like she'll be going to the hospital this evening for a bunch of tests. Don't know if she'll be admitted or not.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:32:12 PM by uplate6674 »

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #5335 on: December 21, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »
So sorry Uplate! I will keep her and all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Definitely hoping they can figure things out quickly and that you all will be able to have a quiet Christmas at home.
Please keep us posted.

Offline Belisama

« Reply #5336 on: December 22, 2012, 05:00:12 AM »
Uplate, thinking of you and your mother. Please keep us posted.

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #5337 on: December 22, 2012, 07:43:17 AM »
Mom was admitted to the hospital for pleural effusion (sp?) last night (water in lung tissue). No definite signs of pneumonia or embolism, but is being treated with meds for both conditions to stop them before they start. Early congestive heart failure is also a possibility, but the doc said the test they had for that came back with very low numbers (mom ranked at 50, when someone with the condition usually has a number in the thousands)...still, we will see.

The emergency department was a short-staffed nightmare from hell, but the floor she's on now seems nice, from what I could see at 2am. Why does it take so long to be taken to your room when they know you're being admitted?

The resident said last night that she'll probably be home by Christmas if everything clears up :)

Offline Belisama

« Reply #5338 on: December 22, 2012, 07:54:43 AM »
Uplate,

I am really hoping your mother gets well soon and is home for the holiday.

HUG

Offline jabw10

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #5339 on: December 22, 2012, 09:02:43 AM »
uplate - sorry the hospital scene was such a hassle :( 
glad your mom's settled in now, though, and i hope she does get to come home for christmas!  :)