Author Topic: VANCOUVER??  (Read 6549 times)

ireland61290

VANCOUVER??
« on: September 19, 2009, 04:00:04 PM »
Anyone? Any meet ups established? Can't wait to explore the town.

Offline Lady B

• Refugee
  • Cool down mama..........cool off
Re: VANCOUVER??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »
Hi there!

We're coming from Seattle for the show..........don't know of any meetups planned just yet.  Are you a local, or traveling too?

Last show of this leg...........should be a good one  :)

ireland61290

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 08:54:22 PM »
Yeah I'm traveling up from the portland area!

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
  • Too much is not enough...
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 09:28:15 PM »
I'll be going with two other U2 fan friends. It will be our first U2 concert even though we've been fans for a while. We got seats for this first time around, would love to try GA once we have a feel for it. We would love to meet other local U2 fans!

ireland61290

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:57:34 AM »
yeah we got seats on the side, sections 117/118. should be good seats..

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 06:13:16 PM »
Hubs (not a fan, but coming along because I am!) and I will be there from Saskatchewan.  We should pull in the day before, but we'll be leaving the day after.  A couple of friends are e-mailing me the particulars of some good restaurants etc. in the downtown area.  I'm not familiar with Vancover at all.

Oh - we're GA, so I'll be in line early on show day!

Offline Witsa

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 06:50:57 PM »
I will be there - GA as well.  Haven't seen anything planned as of yet.

I'm ok in downtown - well around BC Place & GM Place from having gone to hockey & football games.  I'm such a creature of habit... always take the seabus over to North Vancouver to the Lonsdale Quay - gorgeous view of Vancouver.
(My grand mother used to live in North Van, love the seabus)

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 06:55:36 PM »
LOL!  Witsa, I just posted in the PHX/LV thread, asking whether you're still going to Vancouver!

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 02:05:15 PM »
Bumpage.

EF is now joining the party...

My goodness this is insane...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

daveyg

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
I should have planned this better! We've always wanted to go to Vancouver and we've decided we'll try make it next year...... had I planned it better I would have made it over this year! dooooh

Offline Witsa

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 03:03:54 PM »
**happy dance** so excited to meet ElJay & EF!!

I'm so freaking out about Vegas - anticipating everything that can go wrong...
(I've already had screw ups - but am determined to see U2 on my birthday!) 

Everything is prepaid, so I can almost relax.  I still have to sort out Seattle to Van. 
Went to a travel agent near home, and he wouldn't sell me a ticket for air canada for seatac to yvr!!
told me to use the quick shuttle and told me to have a good day! I swear my jaw hit the floor.  I may just cancel my southwest ticket from Vegas to seattle (was only $58+txs) and book vegas to van.  I have to get over to van island to visit family.

and get my new bday present from mom...

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

:-*

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »
Don't bypass the Quick Shuttle idea, it's only about $50 CDN and it is about a 4.5 hour trip, it will drop you at the Holiday Inn on Howe which is right by the hotel ;)

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 04:40:29 PM »
I should have planned this better! We've always wanted to go to Vancouver and we've decided we'll try make it next year...... had I planned it better I would have made it over this year! dooooh

:(

Well, Edmonton isn't too far away if U2 plays there!   You could take a side trip to Jasper... ;)

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 05:49:34 PM »
By the way, it's my duty as a Canadian to warn those of you who have never been to Vancouver about the downtown East Side.  There is a big tourist attraction in a neighbourhood called "Gastown" on the waterfront, however do NOT venture East of it during the day but ESPECIALLY at night.  And I'm talking within a BLOCK, it becomes very dodgy, very quickly. 

It is the scourge of Canada, the saddest thing I've ever seen in our country.  It is full of heroin addicts, beggars, prostitutes, discarded needles, etc.  I will also say that rather than harmless, many of them are VERY aggressive as they are usually strung out and are looking for money.  I'm not even kidding, it is AWFUL and sad, and you don't need to be there.

You have to watch walking from BC Place as well, because if you veer off in the wrong direction you are not very far from that area either.

Here is a map of where the heck you want to stay out of.  BC Place is the larger white oval on the bottom left of the map.

Cambie Street to the west, Clark Drive to the east, the waterfront to the north and Venables Street/Prior Avenue to the south, with Hastings Street running down the middle of the neighbourhood and Hastings/Main being "Ground Zero" for the worst of the worst.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:58:41 PM by EdgeFest »

Offline Witsa

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »
I remember 2 friends and I going to a hockey game @ the old pacific colleseum, then walking to my hotel near stanley park after - along e. hastings and right thru the rough area. 

DUH! the stupid things you do @ 19, thinking of a beer @ the hotel instead of safety.  I was fine, but its gotten much worse since then. no way would I venture into the shady areas now.  thankfully they got rid of that tent-city that was near the Main St skytrain station a few summera ago... that was a bit scary.

Don't bypass the Quick Shuttle idea, it's only about $50 CDN and it is about a 4.5 hour trip, it will drop you at the Holiday Inn on Howe which is right by the hotel ;)

I seriously thought about it, but I wouldn't get into Van till 8pm-ish on the 24th Oct., and HAVE to be on the last ferry to Van. Island @ 9pm  preferrably the 7pm sailing.  It takes an hour fr. downtown to get to the ferry. My ride up to Campbell River (my Dad) is meeting me on the other side.  2 hr drive from there. will be on the island till the 27th.

:(

Well, Edmonton isn't too far away if U2 plays there!   You could take a side trip to Jasper... ;)

and if they play Seattle as well, could be a decent adventure!