Author Topic: Bono the tax evader  (Read 5384 times)

Offline DaveB

• Babyface
Bono the tax evader
« on: January 10, 2009, 01:57:45 PM »
Come on all you U2 fans...it's time to take Bono off of his pedestal and tell the truth.  I love U2's music like all of you but this article is quite damaging.  Here's the link:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: Bono the tax evader
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 02:33:14 PM »
In responce to that article, The Edge explained in Q Magazine:

"Someone made a great comment about this: "You know, this is a great thing - think of all the musicians ended up going bankrupt and dying in poverty!".....A band that actually can look after their affairs and manage their situation well over a period of time is very unusual. It's progress!"

Bono says:

"We pay millions of dollars in tax, but we don't pay more than we have to"

In my opinion, if you earn money then shouldn't you have the right to maintain that amount of money and spend some on yourself? Bono is campaigning a lot, getting flak from it, getting the band in a more vulnerable position - he does deserve to spend something on himself no?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 02:56:28 PM by Nielsen »

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 02:47:19 PM »
Honestly I don't want to go there. Business is business is all I have to say.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 05:03:50 PM »
I'd probably do the same thing if I were Bono.

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:26:05 PM »
Two responses:

1. The whole "article" (which offered nothing really new) came across as some kind of right-wing smear.

2. I buy U2 records. That's all. What am I expected to do about Bono and the band's tax situation abroad? Think to myself they're a bunch of rich hypocritical bastards? OK. There are worse people in the world, including many conservatives here in the States. I'll lose approximately 0 hours of sleep over it.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 03:08:14 AM »
I think its good they did it! The taxes are worse in Ireland then in England I thought they where bad here!

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 03:13:23 AM »
At least the VAT is down to 15%  :P

1 tax reduced....gazzilion (is there such a thing?) taxes to go >.<

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 03:20:18 AM »
At least the VAT is down to 15%  :P

1 tax reduced....gazzilion (is there such a thing?) taxes to go >.<

Why do you think I havent got a job yet?

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 02:50:57 PM »
I'm a stout defender of Bono's activities but I do see the hypocrisy in this. To urge the Irish government to help more with African poverty and then decide to withdraw huge amounts of tax money to them looks a little dodgy. I can understand the flak they recieved for this, even though they get excessively criticised in other instances. Hope this doesn't turn into a big argument thread  :(

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »
I'm not going to argue about it because it has nothing to do with Boy, October, War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop, All That You Can't Leave Behind, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb or No Line on the Horizon. I don't care.

Offline wild honey

• Babyface
  • Change is inevitable, struggle is an option.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »
People (all people) have the right to make money, spend money, give money away and protect money.  It's all about balance.  Personally, I don't care about their money.  As long as they share their gifts and talents (whatever they are including there creative abilities) and put them to use in a positive way they can do whatever they like with their money.   8)

Offline bonogrl from Boston

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I had the feeling it was out of control
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 08:55:08 PM »
Personally, if I could avoid paying taxes myself I would.  My hard earned money is going to the government for what are supposed to be good reasons (such as education, road maintenance, and the fire/police) however it is ending up being mismanaged by the corrupt people who are in charge of the budgets around here.  So now we have cuts in educational funding, horribly managed roads, and a disastrous project called "The Big Dig"-which is going to cost the people of Massachusetts many more tax dollars for years to come.  This supposedly wonderful project went billions of dollars over budget.  I know it's not right to avoid paying taxes and may be viewed as being greedy, but maybe U2 feels the same way about how their tax dollars are being handled in Ireland.  However, not being from there I could be totally and completely wrong about that.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 09:21:46 AM »
"in the days when you were hopelessly poor, I just liked you more" - Morrissey

Well, it seems to be the usual way to go for rich people so I guess it's something we, regular people, can't understand. Until we're very rich, that is.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 10:34:57 AM »
I don't care what he does with his money, if he wants to tax-shelter it, fine.

BUT.........

Don't go preaching to my government about how they should be spending MY tax money either.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 04:09:36 PM »
I don't care what he does with his money, if he wants to tax-shelter it, fine.

BUT.........

Don't go preaching to my government about how they should be spending MY tax money either.

You hit the nail on the head there, U2 have always flown the flag for Ireland and actually criticised other stars for their cosy little tax havens. But financially it makes sense for them but they can't ever ask the Irish govt for any help again. The Dutch govt however, that's another story.......