Author Topic: What does your U2 collection look like?  (Read 224500 times)

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
Re: What does your U2 collection look like?
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2009, 06:07:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The main U2 collection (first DVD, second row: Love is Blindness Video Collection, which includes the contents of The Unforgettable Fire Collection and the Numb video single):

Okay 2nd row, first in from the left on the photo of this post, what's that? Is that band sanctioned?

I'm not 100% sure (I did get it on Amazon, but that's not a 100% assurance) and, frankly, if I had to vote, I would say I doubt it.  However, it contains nothing but videos from the band, all of which are available nowhere else on DVD (and some only on analog tape--"Numb" and "Love is Blindness"); since videos are made by the band, it passes my "sanctioned by the band release" qualifier, whether the actual DVD release is or not.

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2009, 03:17:31 PM »
I've been a U2 fan for about the last 2 decades so naturally I've accumulated quite a bit of their music over the years. While my collection isn't enourmous, I have:

all of their studio albums plus:
Under A Blood Red Sky
Wide Awake In America

CD singles of:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Fire
The Unforgettable Fire
Pride
Angel Of Harlem
When Love Comes To Town
Discotheque (2 versions)
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Lemon
Staring At The Sun (2 versions)
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Even Better Than The Real Thing remixes
If God Will Send His Angels
Mysterious Ways
Desire
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
The Fly
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Please
Last Night On Earth
One

vinyl:

With Or Without You single
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For single
Where The Streets Have No Name single
October
Wide Awake In America

misc:

U2 7
Melon
Island Treasures
U2 Go Home DVD
Best Of 1980-1990
Best Of 1990-2000
2 interview CDs
U2 Unplugged (bootleg)
U2 Singles Collection

There's still tons more that I need to get. What's in your U2 collection so far?

Can't exactly tell but I got quite a few bootlegs, when the Net wasn't so well-known... And I have got all Pop's singles  ;D

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2009, 06:15:42 AM »
Sigh...found another omission (man, what was I drinking when I tried to organize all of this for you guys?): Red Hot + Blue--Special Edition (With U2) (1 DVD/1 CD).  When my new Jah Wobble (w/The Edge) CD gets here from England (hopefully today), I'll try to post one last misc. photo of these few forgotten stragglers...

Offline sneaky neil

• Stateless
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2009, 06:28:41 AM »
I have:
-All U2 albums
-All box sets, greatest hits
-Every DVD, VHS that was released
-Every single ever released including all multiple versions (except for U23 and a few of the earliest singles)
-Some promo and rare CD singles
-Roughly 70+ concert bootleg CD's from all tours
-A number of odds and ends

In total, there are about 300 actual CD's (this does include some concerts that are on 2 CD's)

I still have to fill those holes in the singles collection.

Offline George

• Stateless
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Now it's time to rhyme!
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2009, 04:52:14 AM »
My collection, excluding compilation or solo appearances (20000 character limit prevents this).  Favourites are in red.

YEAR   TITLE                                          FORMAT             TYPE            AVAILABILITY   NOTES
1980   Another Day                                    vinyl - 7"         single          commercial     Ireland
1980   11 O'clock Tick Tock                           vinyl - 7"         single          commercial     Ireland
1980   Boy                                            CD - 5"            album           commercial
1980   Boy                                            vinyl - 12"        album           commercial     Ireland
1980   A Day Without Me                               vinyl - 7"         single          commercial     Ireland
1980   I Will Follow                                  vinyl - 7"         single          commercial     Ireland
1980   I Will Follow                                  vinyl - 7"         single          commercial     US
1981   October                                        CD - 5"            album           commercial
1981   Fire                                           CD - 5"            single          commercial     Austria
1981   Fire                                           vinyl - 7" * 2     single          commercial     UK
1981   Fire                                           vinyl - 7"         single          promo          UK
1981   Gloria                                         vinyl - 7"         single          commercial     Ireland
1982   A Celebration                                  vinyl - 7"         single          commercial     Ireland
1983   War                                            CD - 5"            album           commercial
1983   New Year's Day                                 CD - 5"            single          commercial     Austria
1983   Sunday Bloody Sunday                           CD - 5"            single          commercial     Austria
1983   Two Hearts Beat As One                         vinyl - 7"         single          commercial     US
1983   Two Hearts Beat As One                         vinyl - 12"        single          commercial     UK
1983   Two Hearts Beat As One                         vinyl - 12"        single          commercial     US
1983   Live/Under A Blood Red Sky                     CD - 5"            live l.p.       commercial
1983   I Will Follow [live]                           vinyl - 7"         single          commercial     US
1983   I Will Follow [live]                           vinyl - 7"         single          promo          US
1984   Under A Blood Red Sky                          VHS                video           commercial
1984   The Unforgettable Fire                         CD - 5"            album           commercial
1984   Pride (In The Name Of Love)                    CD - 5"            single          commercial     Austria
1984   Pride (In The Name Of Love)                    vinyl -  12"       single          commercial     New Zealand
1985   The Unforgettable Fire                         CD - 5"            single          commercial
1985   The Unforgettable Fire                         vinyl - 7" * 2     single          commercial     UK
1985   The Unforgettable Fire                         vinyl - 12"        single          commercial     Australia
1985   Wide Awake In America                          CD - 5"            e.p.            commercial
1985   The Unforgettable Fire                         VHS                video           commercial
1987   The Joshua Tree                                CD - 5"            album           commercial
1987   With Or Without You                            CD - 5"            single          commercial     Austria
1987   I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For     CD - 5"            single          commercial     Austria
1987   Where The Streets Have No Name                 CD - 5"            single          commercial     Austria
1988   Rattle And Hum                                 CD - 5"            album           commercial
1988   Desire                                         CD - 5"            single          commercial     Austria
1988   Desire                                         vinyl - 12"        single          promo          UK
1988   Angel Of Harlem                                CD - 5"            single          commercial     Austria
1988   3D Dance Mixes                                 vinyl - 12"        e.p.            promo          UK
1989   When Love Comes To Town                        CD - 5"            single          commercial     Austria
1989   All I Want Is You                              CD - 5"            single          commercial     Austria
1989   Rattle And Hum                                 VHS                video           commercial
1989   Rattle And Hum                                 DVD                video           commercial
1990   Night And Day                                  vinyl - 12"        single          promo          UK
1991   Achtung Baby                                   CD - 5"            album           commercial     ** The first CD I ever bought **

1991   The Fly                                        CD - 5"            single          commercial
1991   Mysterious Ways                                CD - 5"            single          commercial
1991   Mysterious Ways                                CD - 3"            single          commercial     Japan
1991   Mysterious Ways                                vinyl - 12"        single          commercial     UK
1991   Mysterious Ways                                CD - 5"            single          promo          US (Ultimatum Mix)
1992   One                                            CD - 5"            single          commercial
1992   Even Better Than The Real Thing                CD - 5"            single          commercial
1992   Even Better Than The Real Thing - Remixes      CD - 5"            single          commercial     US
1992   Even Better Than The Real Thing - Real U2      vinyl - 12"        single          commercial     UK
1992   Even Better Than The Real Thing - Remixes      CD - 5"            single          promo          US
1992   Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses              CD - 5"            single          commercial
1992   Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses              CD - 5"            single          commercial     UK II
1992   Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses              CD - 5"            single          promo          US
1992   Salomé                                         vinyl - 12"        single          promo          UK
1992   Achtung Baby: The Videos, The Cameos And A...  VHS                video           commercial
1993   Zooropa                                        CD - 5"            album           commercial
1993   Numb                                           VHS                single          commercial
1993   Numb                                           CD - 5"            single          promo          US
1993   Lemon                                          CD - 5"            single          commercial     Australia
1993   Lemon                                          vinyl - 12"        single          commercial     US
1993   Lemon                                          CD - 5"            single          promo          US
1993   Lemon                                          vinyl - 12" * 2    single          promo          UK
1993   Stay (Faraway, So Close!)                      CD - 5"            single          commercial
1993   Zooropa                                        CD - 5"            single          promo          US
1994   ZooTV Live From Sydney                         VHS                video           commercial
1994   Melon                                          CD - 5"            album           fan club       ** Oh, the ;D when this arrived in the mail **
1995   Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me           CD - 5"            single          commercial     US
1995   Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me           CD - 5"            single          promo          US
1995   Original Soundtracks 1                         CD - 5"            album           commericial
1995   Miss Sarajevo                                  CD - 5"            single          commericial
1995   Miss Sarajevo                                  CD - 5"            single          promo
1995   Your Blue Room                                 CD - 5"            single          promo
1997   Pop                                            CD - 5"            album           commercial
1997   Discothèque                                    CD - 5"            single          commercial
1997   Discothèque                                    CD - 5"            single          commercial     UK I - slimline
1997   Discothèque                                    CD - 5"            single          commercial     UK II
1997   Discothèque                                    vinyl - 12"        single          commercial     US
1997   Discothèque                                    vinyl - 12" * 3    single          commercial     UK
1997   Discothèque                                    CD - 5"            single          promo          proper
1997   Discothèque                                    CD - 5"            single          promo          David Morales unique remix
1997   Discothèque                                    vinyl - 12"        single          promo          US
1997   Discothèque                                    vinyl - 12" * 3    single          promo          US
1997   Staring At The Sun                             CD - 5"            single          commercial
1997   Last Night On Earth                            CD - 5"            single          commercial
1997   Last Night On Earth                            CD - 5"            single          commercial     UK
1997   Pop Muzik                                      CD - 5"            single          promo          UK
1997   Please                                         CD - 5"            single          commercial
1997   Please                                         CD - 5"            single          promo          US
1997   Please                                         CD - 5"            Single          promo          UK
1997   Please PopHeart Live EP                        CD - 5"            e.p.            commercial
1997   If God Will Send His Angels                    CD - 5"            single          commercial
1997   If God Will Send His Angels                    CD - 5"            single          commercial     Germany 2-track
1997   Mofo Remixes                                   CD - 5"            single          commercial
1997   Mofo                                           vinyl - 12"        single          commercial     UK
1998   PopMart Mexico                                 VHS                video           commercial
1998   The Best Of 1980-1990 & B-Sides                CD - 5" * 2        compilation     commercial
1998   Sweetest Thing                                 CD - 5"            single          commercial     I
1998   Sweetest Thing                                 CD - 5"            single          commercial     II
1999   The Best Of 1980-1990                          VHS                video           commercial
2000   Hasta La Vista Baby!                           CD - 5"            live l.p.       fan club        
2000   All That You Can't Leave Behind                CD - 5"            album           commercial
2000   Beautiful Day                                  CD - 5"            single          commercial     I
2000   Beautiful Day                                  CD - 5"            single          commercial     II
2000   Beautiful Day                                  CD - 5"            single          commercial     Australia II
2000   Beautiful Day - Remixes                        CD - 5"            single          promo          Mexico
2001   Walk On                                        CD - 5"            single          commercial     I
2001   Walk On                                        CD - 5"            single          commercial     II
2001   Stuck In A Monent You Can't Get Out Of         CD - 5"            single          commercial     Australia I
2001   Stuck In A Monent You Can't Get Out Of         CD - 5"            single          commercial     Australia II
2001   Stuck In A Monent You Can't Get Out Of         CD - 5"            single          commercial     France
2001   Elevation                                      CD - 5"            single          commercial     I
2001   Elevation                                      CD - 5"            single          commercial     II
2001   Elevation                                      CD - 5"            single          commercial     UK 2-track
2001   Elevation                                      CD - 5"            single          commercial     UK tour edition
2001   Elevation                                      CD - 5"            single          commercial     UK I
2001   Elevation                                      DVD                single          commercial
2001   Elevation                                      vinyl - 12"        single          promo          UK
2001   Stuck In A Monent You Can't Get Out Of         CD - 5"            single          commercial
2001   Walk On                                        CD - 5"            single          commercial     Australia I
2001   Walk On                                        CD - 5"            single          commercial     Australia II
2001   Walk On                                        DVD                single          commercial     UK
2001   Elevation 2001 - Live From Boston              DVD * 2            video           commercial
2002   7                                              CD - 5"            e.p.            commercial     US
2002   The Best Of 1990-2000 & B-Sides                CD - 5" * 2        compilation     commercial
2002   Electrical Storm                               CD - 5"            single          commercial     I
2002   Electrical Storm                               CD - 5"            single          commercial     II
2002   Electrical Storm                               DVD                single          commercial
2002   Electrical Storm                               CD - 5"            single          promo          US
2002   The Best Of 1990-2000                          DVD * 2            video           commercial
2002   Staring At The Sun                             vinyl - 12"        single          promo          UK BIR remixes
2003   U2 Go Home: Live From Slane Castle             DVD                video           commercial
2004   How To Dismatle An Atomic Bomb                 DVD + CD - 5"      album           commercial
2004   Vertigo                                        CD - 5"            single          commercial     single #1
2004   Vertigo                                        CD - 5"            single          commercial     single #2
2004   Vertigo                                        DVD                single          commercial     single #3
2004   Vertigo                                        vinyl - 12"        single          commercial     single #4
2004   Early Demos                                    digital - iTunes   e.p.            commercial
2004   Live From Boston 1981                          digital - iTunes   live l.p.       commercial
2004   Live From The Point Depot                      digital - iTunes   live l.p.       commercial
2004   Unreleased & Rare                              digital - iTunes   album           commercial
2004   Live From Under The Brooklyn Bridge            digital - iTunes   e.p.            commercial
2005   All Because Of You                             CD - 5"            single          commercial     Canadian
2005   Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own        CD - 5"            single          commercial     Canadian
2005   Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own        DVD                single          commercial     UK
2005   Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own        CD - 5"            single          promo          US
2005   City Of Blinding Lights                        CD - 5"            single          commercial     Canadian
2005   City Of Blinding Lights                        CD - 5"            single          commercial     UK #1
2005   City Of Blinding Lights                        CD - 5"            single          commercial     German
2005   City Of Blinding Lights                        CD - 3"            single          commercial     German
2005   City Of Blinding Lights                        DVD                single          commercial     UK
2005   City Of Blinding Lights                        vinyl - 12"        single          promo
2005   All Because Of You                             CD - 5"            single          commercial     UK I
2005   All Because Of You                             CD - 5"            single          commercial     UK II
2005   All Because Of You                             DVD                single          commercial     UK
2005   Vertigo 2005 - Live From Chicago               DVD * 2            video           commercial
2005   Communication                                  CD - 5" * 2        live l.p.       fan club
2006   Zoo TV Live From Sydney                        DVD * 2            video           commercial
2006   The Saints Are Coming                          CD - 5"            single          commercial     Canadian
2006   18 Singles                                     CD - 5" + DVD      compilation     commercial
2006   18 Videos                                      DVD                video           commercial
2006   Zoo TV Live                                    CD - 5" * 2        live l.p.       fan club
2007   Window In The Skies                            CD - 5"            single          commercial     Canadian
2007   Window In The Skies                            CD - 5"            single          commercial     UK I
2007   Window In The Skies                            DVD                single          commercial     UK
2007   PopMart Live From Mexico City                  DVD * 2            video           commercial
2007   The Joshua Tree                                CD - 5" * 2 + DVD  album           commercial     remastered
2007   U2 Go Home Live From Slane Castle, Ireland     CD - 5" * 2        album + video   fan club
2008   Boy                                            CD - 5" * 2        album           commercial     remastered
2008   October                                        CD - 5" * 2        album           commercial     remastered
2008   War                                            CD - 5" * 2        album           commercial     remastered
2008   Live/Under A Blood Red Sky                     CD - 5" + DVD      album + video   commercial     remastered
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 04:57:08 AM by George »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2009, 08:45:28 AM »
Well i think GpII and myself just got owned, massively. GREAT collection George!

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2009, 09:02:21 AM »
Well i think GpII and myself just got owned, massively. GREAT collection George!

In one sense, yes, but a) I loathe vinyl so I'll never challenge anyone on that front and b) I see no listing of any side projects of the band members, of which I have loads so I feel the challenge has been met, but I haven't been "owned" yet...  8)

Offline sneaky neil

• Stateless
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »
Yeah, I have never cared for vinyl or cassets, so I don't even bother.

Offline George

• Stateless
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Now it's time to rhyme!
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2009, 12:59:23 PM »

In one sense, yes, but a) I loathe vinyl so I'll never challenge anyone on that front and b) I see no listing of any side projects of the band members, of which I have loads so I feel the challenge has been met, but I haven't been "owned" yet...  8)

My intention is not to "own" anything, except for U2 stuff.  I really did have no more characters to post, so I will explain the collection here.  My goal is somewhat like GP2's.  I want to have an original copy of every U2 track in it's cleanest form.  This means that if the track is available on CD, I want that.  If it is not, then I must have the vinyl or cassette version.  I don't really play those.  Instead, I will obtain, somehow, a digital version of that track, but I must own the original item.  I actually bought a turntable just to play the various U2 items I have bought.

I originally began to collect all things U2-related, such as the Bono/Gavin Friday collaboration on In The Name of the Father, or the various forms of Adam and Larry's version of Mission: Impossible.  I realized that not only does this collection not really interest me (except for these two items, which seem much more related to the band themselves), but it is also very wide ranging and would carry an enormous price tag.

As my collection rule goes, I have no interest in alternate artwork or anything like that.  It's all about the music - having a real copy of every track.

Regarding appearances on compilations, I have the following items which include unique U2 tracks:

Soundtracks:
  • Batman Forever
  • Captive
  • The End of Violence
  • Faraway, So Close!
  • Gangs of New York
  • In The Name of the Father
  • The Million Dollar Hotel
  • They Call It An Accident
  • Until The End of the World

"Various Artists" Compilations:
  • (RED)WIRE Volume 1 Issue 2
  • 1 And Only: 25 Years Of Radio 1
  • A Very Special Christmas
  • Alternative NRG
  • Amazing Grace
  • America: A Tribute To Heroes
  • Café del Mar: The Best Of Compiled by José Padilla
  • Common Ground
  • Folkways: A Vision Shared
  • Hold On - BBC Radio 1FM Sessions
  • Inner City Blues - The Music Of Marvin Gaye
  • Instant Karma: The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur
  • Just For Kicks
  • Live For Ireland
  • New Musical Express Readers' Poll Winners '84
  • Out Loud
  • Pavarotti & Friends Together For The Children Of Bosnia
  • Peace Together
  • Red Hot + Blue
  • Songs Of Jimmie Rodgers, The: A Tribute
  • Special Brew
  • Sun City
  • The Radio 1 FM sessions
  • Tibetan Freedom Concert
  • Tower Of Song - The Songs Of Leonard Cohen
  • We're A Happy Family - A Tribute To Ramones
  • What's Going On

I know I have some videos with unique content, like the Superbowl DVD, the Saturday Night Live DVD, The Old Grey Whistle Test DVD, and We Know Where You Live Live! DVD.

Most unfortunately, I have only spend about 2 months in the past two years with my collection: it lives in Canada, but I'm working in Dubai.  Yes, I ripped everything, including DVD audio, to my computer before I left.  This means I cannot photograph anything.

I think I need to spend maybe $1500 and I'll have completed my collection.  Yes, the items I'm missing carry big price tags (which explain why I'm missing them).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:02:38 PM by George »

InThisHeartland

« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2009, 01:39:55 PM »
Good god!

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2009, 03:16:30 PM »
I have 29.3 GB of U2 on my external hard drive at work.  That's not counting all the video DVDs that I have at home.  And I'm always looking for more shows.  I'm planning on getting EVERY show from the next tour.   I have over 70 of the shows from Vertigo.

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »
*looks at George's collection*

:o

Holy f&#%!

Offline dferry09

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Gonna go where the bright lights and big city meet
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2009, 03:45:04 PM »
I have all the studio albums.
Vinyls of Where the Streets Have No Name and With or Without You
DVDS: Slane, Zoo TV from Sydney, Vertigo from Chicago, Popmart from Mexico, Rattle and Hum Movie, Under a Blood Red Sky, Joshua Tree Classic Albums, U2 DVD Collectors box set (which is sh**)
Singles: Walk On, Vertigo, Elevation. Stuck in a Moment.....,

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2009, 08:35:52 PM »
Soundtracks:

* Batman Forever
    * Captive
    * The End of Violence
    * Faraway, So Close!
    * Gangs of New York
    * In The Name of the Father
    * The Million Dollar Hotel
    * They Call It An Accident
    * Until The End of the World

i used to own BF, but sold it and years later miraculously found the HMTMKMKM single, and was ecstatic!! I also bought MDH, and RH+B, i wouldn't mind owning ITNOTF, and i don't needs GONY because the song appears on the best of 90-2000

Yea, i don't care about vinyl or cassette either, and i'm not gonna waste my money on a cd that has 1 U2 song and 14 songs i'd never listen to again, unless i've already made the mistake of buying it.

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2009, 09:05:05 PM »
i don't needs GONY because the song appears on the best of 90-2000

Bad call, my friend--the version of "Hands That Built America" on the GoNY soundtrack is a different (and far preferable, IMO) mix to the one on THE BEST OF 1990-2000.