Author Topic: What does your U2 collection look like?  (Read 196000 times)

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
Re: What does your U2 collection look like?
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2009, 07:54:42 AM »
Here's the first wave of maxi-singles (sorry, it's a little blurry).  First CD, first row: ANOTHER TIME, ANOTHER PLACE bootleg.  Second CD, third row: SECOND HOMECOMING bootleg.  Third CD, fourth row: SALOME: THE [AXTUNG BEIBI] OUTTAKES.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 07:56:59 AM by God, Part II »

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2009, 07:54:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hmm, I just noticed I forgot to add Saul Williams' THE INEVITABLE RISE AND LIBERATION OF NIGGY TARDUST! to my Owned CDs list, which features a phenomenal cover of "Sunday Bloody Sunday"; though the liner notes do not refer to any sampling of the original U2 track, the opening drum salvo sounds so identical to the original that I can't fathom why Trent Reznor and Saul would put in the effort to replicate the sound so exactly when they could just sample it (maybe as a return favor for Reznor's remix of "Vertigo"), so I vote that it's an uncredited sample.

When I first made my listing, I went strictly with my CDs; it never occured to me to reference the other U2 stuff I own.  I have a couple of T shirts, a few books (including the must-owns U2 BY U2, the RATTLE AND HUM movie book and U2: THE ROLLING STONES FILES), the official RATTLE AND HUM theater marquee poster and the following official DVDs (note, there is some duplication with the previous list for CD/DVD combos):

46664: The Event (With U2's Bono and The Edge) (2 Disc)
America: A Tribute to Heroes (With U2)
Bloody Sunday (With Live Performance of U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday")
Live Aid (With U2) (4 Disc)
Live 8 (With U2) (4 Disc)
Make Poverty History: The Concert (w/U2's Bono & Edge and Pearl Jam Duet)
MTV Video Music Awards: Rock (With U2 Performance)
Old Grey Whistle Test, The (With U2)
Patriots: Super Bowl Champions 36 & 38 (w/U2's 2002 Halftime Performance)
Saturday Night Live: 25 Years of Music, Vol. 5 (Including U2)
Shelter From the Storm: A Concert for the Gulf Coast (With U2)
U2 and 3 Songs--'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' Sp. Ltd Ed. (1 DVD/1 CD)
U2: 18 Singles--Deluxe Ltd. Ed. w/Vertigo '05, Live From Milan (1 CD/1 DVD)
U2: 18 Videos
U2: Achtung Baby: The Videos, The Cameos and a Whole Lot of Interference from ZOO TV [LaserDisc]
U2: All Because of You (DVD Single)
U2: Best of 1990-2000, The
U2: Best of 1990-2000, The: 'The History Mix' (Limited Edition Promo DVD)
U2: City of Blinding Lights (DVD Single)
U2: Classic Albums: 'The Joshua Tree' (Eagle Vision Version)
U2: Elevation 2001, Live From Boston (2 Disc)
U2: Go Home, Live From Slane Castle, Ireland--Limited Edition Digipak
U2: Joshua Tree, The--20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (2 CD/1 DVD)
U2: Live (From Rockpalast, West Germany, 1983)
U2: Love is Blindness Video Collection
U2: Popmart, Live From Mexico City--Deluxe Limited Edition Digipak (2 Disc)
U2: Rattle and Hum [Blu-ray]
U2: Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (DVD Single)
U2: Under a Blood Red Sky--Deluxe Edition (1 CD/1 DVD)
U2: Under a Blood Red Sky, Live at Red Rocks [VHS, with unedited performance of "The Electric Co."]
U2: The Unforgettable Fire Collection [LaserDisc]
U2: Vertigo (DVD Single)
U2: Vertigo 2005, Live From Chicago--Deluxe Ltd Edition Digipak (2 Disc)
U2: Window in the Skies (DVD Single)
U2: Zoo TV, Live From Sydney--Deluxe Limited Edition Digipak (2 Disc)

I also, courtesy mainly of a friend of mine I've lost contact with who was into accessing torrents online (I'm not smart enough to grasp the concepts), I own several bootleg DVD-Rs, such as my prized U2: Rattle and Hum Outtakes [4 Disc DVD-R Bootleg], that I haven't yet properly catalogued...there, I think that truly nails my current collection.  I have a copy of Jah Wobble's I COULD HAVE BEEN A CONTENDER (which features The Edge on the track "Snakecharmer") en route to me as we speak from England, so my collection continues to grow...

Crikey - I've got loads of U2 vinyl (age thing!!) and pretty much every thing they have released.

Anyone mentioned Captive - sound track the Edge did in the 80's?

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2009, 07:57:51 AM »
Anyone mentioned Captive - sound track the Edge did in the 80's?

Yeah, go look back at my main list on Page 1.

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2009, 08:02:13 AM »
Second round of maxi-singles.  Third CD, second row: LIVE AT THE ZOO STATION bootleg.  Third CD, third row: MORE MELON bootleg.  First CD, fourth row: Passengers: "Miss Sarajevo" maxi-single.

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2009, 08:04:43 AM »
Third round of maxi-singles.

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »
Fourth round of maxi-singles.  Second CD, first row: "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of" [limited Edition French Import Maxi-Single].

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2009, 08:13:54 AM »
Fifth and final round of maxi-singles.  Fourth CD, first row: "Original of the Species" [UK U2PRO6 Import Single].  Also includes, from second row on: Children of the Revolution: First Recordings 1978-79 [Early Demos Bootleg], And Here is the Young Man, 1 and Only: 25 Years of Radio 1, Common Ground: Voices of Modern Irish Music, Now That's What I Call Music! 1982, New Year's Dub [UK SERR030CDPRO Promotional Import Maxi-Single], New Year's Dub [Australian Import Maxi-Single], The Sun Does Rise (Rarities Edition #14418) [EP], Re-Wired [Promotional Single], Anam [North American Cover], Band Aid Special and Do They Know It's Christmas? [German Import Maxi-Single].  More to come some other day...

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2009, 08:23:55 AM »
WOAH to all those pictures! WOAH!

confusion - do you not own Boy/Oct on CD?

i have basically all of that. But now you've got me wanting to take more photos to post. AND ONE UP YOU!!! haha....not really!

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2009, 08:28:19 AM »
confusion - do you not own Boy/Oct on CD?

Read the post on my first photo.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2009, 10:47:43 AM »
 :o  Wow!  :o

Very, very impressive! Now that's U2 obsession!

Thank you for going through all the trouble to post the pictures.

Q: How many years did it take you to build this fabulous collection?

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2009, 11:14:11 AM »

Keep in mind, I'm not done posting pictures; there's plenty yet to come, as well as all of my U2 DVDs.  I'd say we're only 40%-45% if the way in so far.  The collection began in 1987.

Offline brrrger

• Wanderer
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »

Keep in mind, I'm not done posting pictures; there's plenty yet to come, as well as all of my U2 DVDs.  I'd say we're only 40%-45% if the way in so far.  The collection began in 1987.

That's pretty amazing. How much money do you think you've spent in your lifetime because of U2? It's still money well spent, of course. How much would you sell it for?

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2009, 11:35:30 AM »
Sigh...just noticed another omission--I need to update my DVD list to reflect that I own DARFUR NOW, the end credits of which are overlayed with "Love is in Need of Love Today", a duet between Bono and Stevie Wonder.  Picture of that forthcoming, too...

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2009, 11:37:38 AM »
How much money do you think you've spent in your lifetime because of U2?  How much would you sell it for?

First question--never thought to track it...a lot, to be sure.  Second question--no figure would satisfy.  I want my collection not for its worth or collectibility but because I simply want immediate and the highest quality access to every single song Bono, Edge, Adam and/or Larry ever breathed on.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2009, 03:08:39 PM »
Mines a bit of a sad story, and too long, but I'll try and narrow it down and not bore you all to death!
Ive been an obsessed U2 fan since 1983, and became a collector in 1987 after the JT was released. By 1993 I had a massive U2 collection. Every single and album on every format possible from every country and every color vinyl possible, about 10-15 items of these were signed by either the whole band or incividuals depending who I had met at the time. I had over 500 magazines and books, pieces of the berlin wall, an inflatable Trabant, photographs, gold discs, silver discs, many band awards, lithographs, live radio shows and much, much more. I was 24 in 1993, had a good job, and I had been left a large amount of money in a relatives will, oh, and I was single.
Then, Christmas that year a I met a girl who eventually agreed to marry me. Stupid me should have realised things would go wrong - she hated U2, with a passion. She spent all my money/savings - loved the high life, and then I lost my job. As it turned out I was her 7th fiance!!!!!!! and all she was after was my money. Hey, I was in love so you make sacrifices right? In order to help pay for the house SHE wanted, she made me sell my U2 collection, for a lot less money than it was worth at the time. She left me 3 months after we got the house. I was in financial ruin, and homeless, and without my prized U2 collection  >:(
The only item from my collection that I had managed to keep was my favorite U2 cap/hat. The reason it's my favorite is that Bono gave it to me during a show. Sheffield Arena (UK indoor leg of ZooTV). Bono would come out for Bullet The Blue Sky wearing the black cap with a red star on the front for this song - at the end of the song he gave it to me - my seat was front row next to the catwalk! My ex fiance did not know that Bono gave it to me, she just thought it was a cap I had purchased.
So, my collection was gone. I rebulit my life, I am just about recovered now fianancially, and have been slowly re-buliding my U2 collection - including every album and most singles on nearly every format. My main line of collection though has changed somewhat. After seeing U2 live 40 times in my life, I have become obsessed with their live shows - I collect bootlegs, and have over 500 shows now, with over 60 from 1978-1982. My wife likes U2, but is no way obsessed with them, but she undertands and fully supports my passion (can't wait to take her to a show this year  :))
There must be a moral to this story somewhere.
Oh, and I still have the cap Bono gave me - its still my prized possession!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:16:52 PM by Zoostavox »