Author Topic: Next tour to top Vertigo!?  (Read 5945 times)

Offline tacoisahotburito

• Stateless
Next tour to top Vertigo!?
« on: January 11, 2009, 05:06:20 AM »
But I didn't like the Vertigotour, if you compare it to Popmart or The Elevationtour. There was to much talking and the stupid humanrights video and disappointing setlists. I'm talking for the European outdoor part here ..

I'm going for the music and the music only! Who else would like that Bono talked less?

An Cat Dubh

Re: Next tour to top Vertigo!?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 01:39:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
But I didn't like the Vertigotour, if you compare it to Popmart or The Elevationtour. There was to much talking and the stupid humanrights video and disappointing setlists. I'm talking for the European outdoor part here ..

I'm going for the music and the music only! Who else would like that Bono talked less?

I agree. (Much) less talking needed, actually none at all - just sing Bono SING! The lyrics in U2's music speak for themselves, they get the story across just fine, no need to ruin the flow of a live show with live-link up's (Zooropa's Sarajevo link enyone?) or videos - or blindfolded routines during Bullet!

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 02:54:34 PM »
Come on, you've got to have a bit of showmanship! Sorry to tell you, but Bono WILL talk a lot on this tour, everyone knows it. As long as the chat's interesting I'm all for it. The long drawn-out affair before One on the last tour was very boring though, I'll admit. But imagine ZooTV without McPhisto's chat? It would have taken away from the show.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 03:48:06 PM »
Come on, you've got to have a bit of showmanship! Sorry to tell you, but Bono WILL talk a lot on this tour, everyone knows it. As long as the chat's interesting I'm all for it. The long drawn-out affair before One on the last tour was very boring though, I'll admit. But imagine ZooTV without McPhisto's chat? It would have taken away from the show.

I agree with the shownamship, yes it should be in there, McPhisto was all about showmanship and it fit in with the show, Bono was in character. However, a 10 minute break in the music rips the heart out of a show! And that is what it was - 10 minutes (sometimes longer on those Sarajevo link-ups), and that eamaple you give - the drawn out bit before one - that used to run well over 5 minutes sometimes!
I can tell you - Larry HATES it!!!!! His face during some of those Bono-rants......if looks could kill!

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 06:06:14 PM »
I can tell you - Larry HATES it!!!!! His face during some of those Bono-rants......if looks could kill!

Yeah, wasn't it Larry that would time Bono's speeches during the last tour?   ;)

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 08:26:07 PM »

Yeah, wasn't it Larry that would time Bono's speeches during the last tour?   ;)

Yes he would - apparantly before each show Larry would remind Bono not to talk over his 'allotted' time  :) Im sure he did on many occasions too, Larry was so upset with him sometimes it was funny to watch.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 03:55:19 AM »

i don't think it would be hard to top the vertigo (greatest hits tour) unimaginative setlists,to many songs being over played.i do think they can improve on that.the staging was great indoor and outdoor but very few shows managed to blow me away like on previous tours

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 05:01:44 AM »
I suppose talking for too long can get as boring as playing the same songs over and over. Fans are usually up to date on what Bono is supporting, so I don't see the need to dwell on it too much. After all as a concert going fan I pay to see U2 play, not preach.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 05:32:52 AM »
I thought the setlists were good for the last tour. Of course you'd expect the classics to all be there, but there was also the stuff from Boy, and Miss Sarajevo. They also played Gloria on occasion. The only disappointing thing for me was the almost total neglect of Zooropa and Pop. The First Time was played a handful of times, so was Discotheque. But that was it. Hopefully they'll include more of the 90's stuff in the next tour. And I think they might, the new album apparently being more experimental and all.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 05:32:46 PM »
Interesting to hear a bit of criticism about the Vertigo tour, I thought the shows in the States were much better, having listened to a lot of boots there seems to be a better vibe there plus a lot more setlist changes.
I went to four shows in Europe, three in June and then one in Nice in August and there was only one song I hadn't heard already which was Miss Sarajevo ! Not much evolution there for two months of touring.

I am getting a bit tired of looking over the fence at other bands and seeing what they do.
Metallica have the right idea......
"In the meantime, if you want a determindedly single minded show, which sees Metallica melding their challenging new album with obscure classics (from “Jump In The Fire” to “Until It Sleeps”, neither of which have been performed in 8 or 9 years), then this is for you. This is Metallica for themselves. "
Or Springsteen who plays about 1000 different songs every tour !!

I can dream.......

Offline analogk

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My picture of Edge in 2005.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 04:46:37 PM »
I'm thinking the upcoming tour will have at least 7 or 8 new songs in the setlist.  Mind you I haven't heard the new album yet, but I'm thinking the band will really want to promote the album.  The songs that should be dropped from the tour setlist are the following (I'll probably get mixed responses to these selections):

1.  Pride
2.  Sunday Bloody Sunday
3.  Bullet the Blue Sky
4.  Elevation
5.  All Because of You

Pride has been played on every tour since The Unforgettable Fire tour.  Think its time to put it to bed.  As for Sunday Bloody Sunday, its great live, but another song could be played in its place.

Bullet has been played on every tour since The Joshua Tree tour.  The best live version of the song is on the Zoo TV tour.  Edge's great solo made the song more fierce.  Since then the song has lost its intensity on each of the tours that followed.  Bring back the great solo and maybe it deserves a place in the setlist. 

Elevation is alright, not one of their best songs.  I like the original version of All Because of You.  It was called "She's gonna blow your house down, which originated during the Joshua Tree tour and was worked on again during the Achtung Baby sessions.  The final album version on HTDAAB is too processed and the live version was okay.

The rants from Bono on the Vertigo tour were way too long espeically before "One".  The opening of "Streets" should go back to the red backdrop and then bright lights when the song opens.  No more flags of Africa.  I have a bootleg of the first night of the Vertigo tour in San Diego, CA.  It's so annoying to hear Bono ramble on about Africa during the opening of Streets.  It killed the momentum of the song.

Songs that should be added after a long absence are Ultra Violet, Seconds, and Numb.  All 3 are great songs.  Plus the band did release remastered versions of the first 3 albums.  Why not play a rare one from one of those albums? Remember, they did play "The Ocean" on the last tour.  I would think they'd want to promote the remasters too.

Songs I'd like to see played again are "The Fly" and "Zoo Station". Definitely a long shot for this tour, but I didn't get to see either of those songs played last tour.

What songs would you like to see dropped for the upcoming tour?

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 04:56:15 PM »
I'm thinking the upcoming tour will have at least 7 or 8 new songs in the setlist.  Mind you I haven't heard the new album yet, but I'm thinking the band will really want to promote the album.  The songs that should be dropped from the tour setlist are the following (I'll probably get mixed responses to these selections):

1.  Pride
2.  Sunday Bloody Sunday
3.  Bullet the Blue Sky
4.  Elevation
5.  All Because of You

Pride has been played on every tour since The Unforgettable Fire tour.  Think its time to put it to bed.  As for Sunday Bloody Sunday, its great live, but another song could be played in its place.

Bullet has been played on every tour since The Joshua Tree tour.  The best live version of the song is on the Zoo TV tour.  Edge's great solo made the song more fierce.  Since then the song has lost its intensity on each of the tours that followed.  Bring back the great solo and maybe it deserves a place in the setlist. 

Elevation is alright, not one of their best songs.  I like the original version of All Because of You.  It was called "She's gonna blow your house down, which originated during the Joshua Tree tour and was worked on again during the Achtung Baby sessions.  The final album version on HTDAAB is too processed and the live version was okay.

The rants from Bono on the Vertigo tour were way too long espeically before "One".  The opening of "Streets" should go back to the red backdrop and then bright lights when the song opens.  No more flags of Africa.  I have a bootleg of the first night of the Vertigo tour in San Diego, CA.  It's so annoying to hear Bono ramble on about Africa during the opening of Streets.  It killed the momentum of the song.

Songs that should be added after a long absence are Ultra Violet, Seconds, and Numb.  All 3 are great songs.  Plus the band did release remastered versions of the first 3 albums.  Why not play a rare one from one of those albums? Remember, they did play "The Ocean" on the last tour.  I would think they'd want to promote the remasters too.

Songs I'd like to see played again are "The Fly" and "Zoo Station". Definitely a long shot for this tour, but I didn't get to see either of those songs played last tour.

What songs would you like to see dropped for the upcoming tour?

I agree analogk, great post. I would also like Beautiful Day dropped.

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 06:48:08 PM »
I will keep my opinions of Bono's political stuff to myself BUT I absolutely love love love love love the story about Edge coming out of the spaceship "It's better" I die every time I listen to the bootleg when he says that speech.  And I love when he introduces the band and banters a little.

Offline analogk

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My picture of Edge in 2005.
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 06:57:16 PM »
I will keep my opinions of Bono's political stuff to myself BUT I absolutely love love love love love the story about Edge coming out of the spaceship "It's better" I die every time I listen to the bootleg when he says that speech.  And I love when he introduces the band and banters a little.

Bantering with the crowd is cool with me, but the soapbox rants are a different story.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 06:58:31 PM »

Bantering with the crowd is cool with me, but the soapbox rants are a different story.

Agreed!