Author Topic: Average attendances POP-MART V 360  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Average attendances POP-MART V 360
« on: October 02, 2009, 04:34:58 PM »
I am amazed at how many tickets U2 have sold on their 360 tour since I had fears that they would be playing to half empty stadiums especially in North America.  On the POP-MART world tour, the last all stadium tour U2 undertook, they played to an average of 42,500 people each night but on this current tour up to and including Giants Stadium they have averaged just over 72,000.  What is the reason for this huge difference since I don't think the 360 show is any better than POP-MART and NLOTH has sold fewer copies than POP?

Offline silvrlvr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Three things I need you to know -- three!
Re: Average attendances POP-MART V 360
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 04:48:19 PM »
The main difference is that the Claw allows them to sell more tickets. But there have been empty seats/spaces at the three concerts I've been to. Nothing has sold out. You could even get tickets for Chicago 1, at the last minute, and the house in Toronto was papered with 25,000 RiM employees.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:23:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The main difference is that the Claw allows them to sell more tickets. But there have been empty seats/spaces at the three concerts I've been to. Nothing has sold out. You could even get tickets for Chicago 1, at the last minute, and the house in Toronto was papered with 25,000 RiM employees.

Ticketmaster always releases tickets the day of the show. There will always be empty seats at shows because stub hub and other scalpers are never able to sell all the tickets they buy. In technical senses, they are sold out. However, it doesn't matter what event....concert, football game, basketball....you can always walk up to the ticket booth the day of and get tickets. It's a secret I'm surprised more people don't know.

Some of the next few shows in the U.S. won't be sold out, but they've still sold a lot and they're playing in smaller markets. Judging by stadium size and ticket sales, it looks like there will be around 60,000 people in Norman, OK, possibly more. Absolutely no way that would have happened during Popmart.

What is the reason for this huge difference since I don't think the 360 show is any better than POP-MART and NLOTH has sold fewer copies than POP?

Although I like the new album, I feel like the 360 tour is leaning on the success of HTDAAB for it's large number of ticket sales.

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 01:02:18 AM »
U2 360 TOUR: TOTAL STATS TO DATE

GROSS: $240,765,324
ATTENDANCE: 2,311,120
Average Gross: $7,523,916
Average Attendance: 72,223
Average Ticket Price: $104.18
Shows: 32
Sellouts: 32

Huge numbers for the first 32 shows of the tour!

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 01:30:03 AM »
Well for one you have the $30 ticket option, two more fans than ever, three fanatics like myself who travel city to city to see them, four... i dont know, you actually have a good point.... good post.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 10:53:12 AM »
I am amazed at how many tickets U2 have sold on their 360 tour since I had fears that they would be playing to half empty stadiums especially in North America.  On the POP-MART world tour, the last all stadium tour U2 undertook, they played to an average of 42,500 people each night but on this current tour up to and including Giants Stadium they have averaged just over 72,000.  What is the reason for this huge difference since I don't think the 360 show is any better than POP-MART and NLOTH has sold fewer copies than POP?

In Popmart, people decided to wait it out and catch U2 in their next tour if they didn't like POP or the tour concept.

In 360, U2 are coming on the heels of 2 commercially successful albums (ATYCLB and HTDAAB) that re-established themselves as the band of the land, and while NLOTH has tanked - fans are now flocking to see the phenomenon that is U2 because this may be their last tour of this scale, and also given U2's age now.

It's more of like "let's catch U2 now just so we can tell our kids we saw them" or "let's catch U2 so at least we can say we did during this lifetime." 

Cheers,

J

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 11:01:06 AM »

In Popmart, people decided to wait it out and catch U2 in their next tour if they didn't like POP or the tour concept.

In 360, U2 are coming on the heels of 2 commercially successful albums (ATYCLB and HTDAAB) that re-established themselves as the band of the land, and while NLOTH has tanked - fans are now flocking to see the phenomenon that is U2 because this may be their last tour of this scale, and also given U2's age now.

It's more of like "let's catch U2 now just so we can tell our kids we saw them" or "let's catch U2 so at least we can say we did during this lifetime." 

Cheers,

J

I would actually accept this if POPMart didn't come on the heels of four commercially successful albums in JT, RnH, AB and ZOOROPA, which cemented them as band of the land.  And while the debate can rage on and on whether or not and why NLOTH has "tanked", it currently stands at 69 on the Billboard chart after 30 weeks, and it is signified as one of Billboards' greatest gainers in airplay and sales this week.

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 11:20:57 AM »

Cheers,

J

I agree with that, but I don't get why people think that U2 is done soon because they are getting a little older.  "OH NO! Larry Mullen Jr. is 48 years old!!!"  Springsteen is 60, Mick Jagger is 66 (even though they only play greatest hits now), and plenty of other artists are still touring in their mid to late 60's.  Every member of U2 is still in their 40's.  There is no reason for anyone to be worried until about twelve years from now when the Live Nation contract expires.  And even then, I think we will still see U2 touring..just less frequently and more scaled down.