Author Topic: Vancouver Meetup - Tuesday, October 27th @ 8pm - Doolins Irish Pub  (Read 16649 times)

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
Re: Vancouver Meetup - Tuesday, October 27th @ 8pm - Doolins Irish Pub
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 06:19:29 PM »
I guess it depends on what time we all leave Doolins! :D

I hope to be there before 8 a.m.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 06:37:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
@EdgeFest: way to thourouhgly freak people out about the Downtown Eastside. I'm immune and desensitized to it 'cause I'm in Gastown at least once a week, but ya, I guess if you're from out of town and you wander into that neighbourhood it could scare the crap out of you. Mind you, I don't think it's as dangerous as you make it out to be, neither during the day nor at night. But good on ya for warning ppl. It certainly is the scourge of our country...unthinkable when the financial district is a few blocks west *sigh*

I don't think I THOROUGHLY freaked anyone out? I warned visitors that it's right there if you take a block detour.  Have I been there?  Yes.  Did I think I was going to DIE?  No.  Was I extremely uncomfortable?  Yes.  Do our visitors to Vancouver need to go there?  Of course not.  That's all I was trying to say.

You silly Bonogirls.

LOL - just kidding, it's all good.   :P

For this tour it seems like you want to be there before 8am - I assume folks knew about the lottery for the ellipse on the last tour so maybe more people came later.  In Toronto we were there at 6:30 and were #141/#142/#143.

Here's a good overview of experiences from earlier shows, I was in Toronto/Chicago for the first four in the set.  I wasn't planning on coming to this one but some crazy stuff happened with family just happening to visit from Australia in mid-October and a choice to go now or in March when they are back again. 

Want to join us at Doolins?  Should be a good mix of @U2ers from Western Canada and even a special guest all the way from Alaska :P  You will be in good company with the Bonogirls... I am the lone Edgegirl so far :P

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 06:38:20 PM »

Are you kidding?  We're going to go straight there afterward!  LOL - I kid.

PS - I also offer to be a sacrificial lamb in line early with one of you who has a sleepy-in-husband, he can take my place mid-morning.  ;)

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2009, 07:59:28 PM »

Are you kidding?  We're going to go straight there afterward!  LOL - I kid.

PS - I also offer to be a sacrificial lamb in line early with one of you who has a sleepy-in-husband, he can take my place mid-morning.  ;)

Oh! Oh!  I pick EdgeFest to stand in as hubs!  No monkey business, I promise! ;)

Offline domino

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 08:00:09 PM »
@EF: re: hastings. ya i meant 'thoroughly' in a ha-ha way. silly interwebs. w.e

Cheers to going straight to the line up after Doolins! Only hitch is I think Doolin's closes at 2 or 3am the latest....we'll have time to kill. Thanks for the link EF, good reading material...but urgh 6.30...will have to cut Doolins short if I wanna be concert-ready 12-14 hours later after a looong tuesday too. At least it won't be HOT like last time, I was so dehydrated by the show.

Yay, so excited for GA line and the gig!!!! Cannnnn't contain it any longer....

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 08:06:42 PM »
Anyone know if M2 will be in Vancouver?  It would be great to meet our fearless leader...

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 09:40:28 PM »
Cheers to going straight to the line up after Doolins!

Oh lol... I'm jokin :P

Anyone know if M2 will be in Vancouver?  It would be great to meet our fearless leader...

I don't think so but it would.  I'll send him a PM to be sure.

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »
No M2 unfortunately.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 11:42:18 PM »
No M2 unfortunately.

Lucky me-I got to meet m2 in Giants Stadium. As expected , he was super nice and very cool  8)!

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2009, 12:48:59 AM »
No M2 unfortunately.

Lucky me-I got to meet m2 in Giants Stadium. As expected , he was super nice and very cool  8)!

That's why I hope to meet him some day, he is SG approved :D

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2009, 12:44:04 PM »
Hey gang!  Great to see more on board for Doolin's!  Look forward to meeting some more forum buds! 
As LB said, there's at least 3 of us + likely a few non-board u2 friends & fans that are buds of BD. 

@witsa - Sorry to hear about the hotel changes but glad you're settled now.  (I met you on another board).  I don't know for sure but I don't think they'd stay at Pan Pacific if they're going to stay to record SOA - They may have rented houses or condos (?). 

Wristbands are cool and I haven't looked on zootopia to see if anythings going on.  Its 2 days before Larry's bday also....! 

I'm not in GA but am in the RZ for this show and LB & BD are in GA.  I just can't do the lineup anymore in the cold & rain.  one thing - I'm not sure how many peeps will line up as early as other shows, given both the weather & weekday, so those are factors.   

As for the downtown eastside & E.Hastings/ Chinatown, its "okay" safety-wise in the daytime but that's "relatively speaking" for knowledgable Vancouverites who know the area well and NOT for out of towners or the curious.  I know the area very well and I definitely would NOT recommend any traveller to venture on foot into the area and would say it is a very unsafe area, irrespective of the main police station nearby on Main Street.   Its definitely NOT safe at night to walk the neighborhood whether you're a man or woman, local or traveller, and you chance getting mugged or worse.  I know a local male friend who got mugged & rolled there for $30, and I'd say he was a street-savy guy.   So just don't do it.   There's LOTS of junkies, drug dealers, junkie hookers, mentally ill, homeless, and down and out people and it is both  shameful, scary, and very dangerous.   Its one of the worst areas in Canada by far and so avoid the area unless you are in the safety of your car, and esp at night.   Nearby historic Gastown (1-2 blocks over) is fine at night as its highly touristed, well lit and there are lots of restaurants but from Main & Powell to East Hastings & Chinatown's East Pender to Abbott, you are in dangerous territory. 

Offline davidhardy

• Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 12:04:32 PM »
I'm a Vancouverite and I'd love to join y'all, but I'm a hardcore lurker and nobody knows who I am XD

Offline Witsa

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 04:37:19 PM »
 :-\ omg, so hotel is changed AGAIN (but confirmed) staying at that Cascadia hotel on Howe St. 
I was seriously thinking of throwing sister off the Lions Gate Bridge for the stress of the hotel 'incidents'. 

I am looking forward to this meet up!  :-* 

Just started packing for Vegas (leave early Tuesday morning) and when I was holding the Vancouver tickets, I sqealed then did a happy dance.  (I still have to pick up the Vegas ticket - UNLV will not mail them outside of the US, so a bit stressed till I have that one in hand too)

k, back to packing... determined to do nothing but sleep and chill Sunday & Monday!

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
:-\ omg, so hotel is changed AGAIN (but confirmed) staying at that Cascadia hotel on Howe St. 
I was seriously thinking of throwing sister off the Lions Gate Bridge for the stress of the hotel 'incidents'. 

I am looking forward to this meet up!  :-* 

Just started packing for Vegas (leave early Tuesday morning) and when I was holding the Vancouver tickets, I sqealed then did a happy dance.  (I still have to pick up the Vegas ticket - UNLV will not mail them outside of the US, so a bit stressed till I have that one in hand too)

k, back to packing... determined to do nothing but sleep and chill Sunday & Monday!

Jeez... at this rate you should just be sleeping on Adam's floor, Witsa... :P

Yay!  Happy Dance!

I have 2 more hours of this shift, 4 more 12.5 hour shifts and then I am off until Nov 2nd with U2 in the middle - woots :)

Offline busy5mom

• Stateless
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2009, 09:15:16 PM »
Any estimates on border crossing times on Weds afternoon and back again Weds night? Need to make travel plans!!!!! Thanks