Author Topic: Standing up when you have reserved seats question  (Read 3202 times)

Offline u21983

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Standing up when you have reserved seats question
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 11:08:14 AM »
The first time that I saw u2 live was in Chicago in 2005. We had ga tickets and were about 2 ft from the stage so of course we had to stand. The second time saw them was in oct of the same year bug we had reserved seats. We were on our feet the entire time. 3 people behind us who's age varied from 30-60 actually tugged on my wifes shirt and told her to sit down.... And that my friends was the first day my wife heard her mellow husband swear haha. I was shocked that they did that

countrygirl

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 11:15:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
At both Chicago and Toronto the entire sections stood up for the whole concert.

I'm worried about Vancouver.  But my short self is standing, everyone behind me be damned.  I am now an experienced 360 Tour watcher, so I will show THEM how its done ;)

Yeah!!!! Show them EF!!!!!

Listen, I was worried that people would be sitting behind me too, and I went in there with the attitude of "No one is gonna ruin this for me"  I stood, danced, jumped, even Marched (SBS) if someone tugged at me to sit or said something, I would have totally blown them off.  There was no way I was gonna sit for U2!!

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 01:32:09 PM »
Welcome to the US! Where people will stand up for idiots running with a football, but not for U2.

I pay to go to quite a few games to cheer on "idiots running with a football," thank you very much, and nobody stands for the whole game. What about everyone in the rest of the world, cheering for that other kind of idiot, chasing that other kind of football? No need to make it a U.S. thing.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »

I'm worried about Vancouver.  But my short self is standing, everyone behind me be damned.  I am now an experienced 360 Tour watcher, so I will show THEM how its done ;)

People sitting will probably be able to see over you standing anyway!   :P

Offline silvrlvr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Three things I need you to know -- three!
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »
Stand up, for rock stars, Napoleon is in high heels!

Sorry, couldn't resist. We stood for 90% of the shows in Chicago and Toronto except for a few songs, like Your Blue Room which most people had never heard of. People got chances to sit down during Bishop Tutu and Walk On.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 01:48:42 PM »

People sitting will probably be able to see over you standing anyway!   :P

:P

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 04:09:05 PM »
I had seats at Wembley but asked the folks behind me how they felt about my standing.  They said, "No problem, we will stand, also."  I'm only 5'1", so I didn't think it would be an issue.  :) 

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »
I stood up for most of their set at Wembley. I have to sit sometimes for health reasons but no one objected either way. Some people stood all the way through, some sat in their seats. A heavily pregnant woman stood for quite some time during their set yay!

Offline polyester shirt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I'm content with who I am.
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 04:45:02 PM »
I paid for the gig, therefore I'm entitled to sit. Besides, why conform to societal norms when the people who make them are entirely questionable themselves.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 05:28:45 PM »
I stand up for the whole show singing at the top of my lungs. If anybody tells me to sit down, I stand on my seat.

...not really, I just turn and stare at them. I'm pretty mean looking, and I've never been told twice.  8)

#@!

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »
Welcome to the US! Where people will stand up for idiots running with a football, but not for U2.
As compared to standing for a bunch of guys in shorts and stockings running around kicking a ball with their dainty little feet? (oh yeah, how many people have been beaten to death in a riot after one of our football games?)

At the Charlottesville concert (in VIRGINIA mind you) Everyone in my section, and within my view in the stadium, stood for the entire show. Enough so that Bono complemented  the crowd response not once, but twice.  It is odd that we in the US apparently don't know how to stand for a show if we are in seats, nor do we apparently know how to behave "properly" in the GA. Nor have we yet to master that refined move of pogoing straight up and down all night and exclaiming that we are dancing. Still, with all those horrible traits, we are still the place where bands dream of playing.

Sorry to be so snarky, but the continuous generalizations  about the US that keep getting thrown about in the forum by our European brothers and sisters is starting to get under my skin.

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »
As compared to standing for a bunch of guys in shorts and stockings running around kicking a ball with their dainty little feet? (oh yeah, how many people have been beaten to death in a riot after one of our football games?)

At the Charlottesville concert (in VIRGINIA mind you) Everyone in my section, and within my view in the stadium, stood for the entire show. Enough so that Bono complemented  the crowd response not once, but twice.  It is odd that we in the US apparently don't know how to stand for a show if we are in seats, nor do we apparently know how to behave "properly" in the GA. Nor have we yet to master that refined move of pogoing straight up and down all night and exclaiming that we are dancing. Still, with all those horrible traits, we are still the place where bands dream of playing.

Sorry to be so snarky, but the continuous generalizations  about the US that keep getting thrown about in the forum by our European brothers and sisters is starting to get under my skin.

Agreed 100%, although I'm not sure if the culprits are our European brothers and sisters or fellow Americans a little too caught up in self-loathing.

On a positive note, from my vantage point on the field, I didn't see a single section sitting last night in Tampa! There may be hope for us yet.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 01:09:41 PM »

Grow up, both of you  ;)

Offline Bullet

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 01:11:33 PM »
Josh, sorry I didn't get to meet you in Atlanta man.
Wasn't that show last night though at RayJay just AWESOME?

Hell, I had seats last night but only sat in them BEFORE the show.  How in the heck can you sit down during a U2 gig?

Tampa was going OFF last night!  I can't imagine though being in GA last night as hot and HUMID as it was...good God!

I only wish I had more shows lined up....patiently awaiting any potential announcements for new U.S. dates sometime next year!
I figure they'll wait until they wrap up the current leg though.

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 07:50:27 AM »
Josh, sorry I didn't get to meet you in Atlanta man.
Wasn't that show last night though at RayJay just AWESOME?

Hell, I had seats last night but only sat in them BEFORE the show.  How in the heck can you sit down during a U2 gig?

Tampa was going OFF last night!  I can't imagine though being in GA last night as hot and HUMID as it was...good God!

I only wish I had more shows lined up....patiently awaiting any potential announcements for new U.S. dates sometime next year!
I figure they'll wait until they wrap up the current leg though.

Yeah man, looked around but didn't see you! Popped into the Hard Rock but not for long, because we'd already put our names on the GA list and needed to get back. I'll tell you, doing the all-night/all-day GA thing twice in one week was a bit much. I was sort of spoiled by Atlanta, because of the cool weather, food courts, real restrooms instead of just port-o-lets, etc. I knew we'd be roughing it at Ray Jay, but I wasn't expecting the heat! It was BRUTAL, and I'm a guy who doesn't usually mind the heat and humidity!

But yes, the Tampa crowd was going off! It was awesome to be part of the largest crowd in that stadium's 11 year history! Everytime the lights lit up the crowd, everyone was going nuts. It definitely added to the atmoshpere.

Like you, those were my two shows for 2009. I keep trying to rationalize another one, but really that's probably not gonna happen. Hope they bring on some 2010 dates soon - I've got the post-concert blues!