Author Topic: Tour that had the best 'interpretation' of 'Bullet The Blue Sky'  (Read 1854 times)

Offline u2and

• Refugee
Re: Tour that had the best 'interpretation' of 'Bullet The Blue Sky'
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 01:16:00 AM »

Strange that Bullet has been dropped.

I would much rather they dropped Pride or Streets. Bullet is way superior lyrically and musically...

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 11:44:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Strange that Bullet has been dropped.

I would much rather they dropped Pride or Streets. Bullet is way superior lyrically and musically...

I'm not sure they could get away with dropping Streets because it is the emotional lynchpin for the show.

I'm glad they dropped Pride, at least for a bit.  Same with Bullet.  I love both songs but there are others I'm happy to hear like The Unforgettable Fire or Ultraviolet. 

They have such a large catalog that it's impossible to keep everyone happy.  I'd love to hear some stuff off the back end of Joshua Tree.  I'd love to hear something other than Stay or The First Time off of Zooropa (and Dirty Day, Lemon, and Daddy's Gonna Pay looked awesome live).  I'd love to hear Kite again, or Original of the Species as it was fantastic on the third leg of Vertigo when they finally figured it out. 

And I could live without Sunday Bloody Sunday too.  Why not play Seconds or Two Hearts Beat As One off of War?

But it's a balancing act for them between the fans, the casual fans, and what they like to play.

Offline magnificent2009

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Best live version of "Bullet" was on the Elevation Tour. Larry's drumming was tight. Edge was brilliant. I loved how Bono shined the spotlight around the top deck of the arena. Great version overall.

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 05:12:45 PM »
ZooTV - maybe it depends which show, bootleg, etc you are thinking of.  The UDA/IRA/etc list at the end of the Elevation Bullet (at least, in the version I know) is more disjointing than powerful for me.  I think Bullet does not fit the feel of this tour, but I would love to see me some Edge prowess with The Fly since they aren't playing UTEOTW every night.

Offline TheHype

• Babyface
  • No spoken words, just a scream
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 05:32:37 PM »
Hands down the Joshua Tree version. This shouldn't even be a discussion. With that said I could go the rest of my life without seeing BTBS played again. Same goes for WOWY, since this song has lost some meaning. Other songs old timers like me are tired of have taken on important meanings. Songs like Streets, One, and SBS are too important to leave off the set list. Since I've seen 31 shows I'd like the band to come out and play the entire new album with about a dozen other non-hits added in. I know I'll never see that show so I'm pleased with the 360 set lists. Anticipating 'The Unforgettable Fire' and 'Ultraviolet' the most when I attend Glendale, Vegas, and Pasadena.

Offline bonovox66

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 06:00:32 PM »
Personally I'm glad they have finally retired it. I loved it on the Joshua Tree and Lovetown Tours, but never thought it fit in with the 90s tours or even Elevation. Don't get me wrong I love this song, I just thought it no longer had any meaning or relevance. It meant something in the 80s. With that being said I would have to say my favorite version is from the Vertigo Tour. I fell in love with this song all over again during Vertigo, it seemed to have a meaning again. The song was relevant once more. However, I think playing on this tour would have been overkill. It'll come back one day, but I'm glad for the break.
Honestly I'd be happy with anything they'd play, but I've said for almost 20 years now that it needed to be retired. No song needed to be put on the shelf more than Bullet (I was proven wrong on Vertigo though).

On a side note: We must remember that 99% of the audiences are casual U2 fans and bought tickets cause they thought it would be a good time (they might own 3 albums). U2 has to play certain songs that people expect, but at the same time play songs that inspire them to keep playing live. Its a fine line to walk.