Author Topic: Midnight Oil appreciation thread  (Read 1520 times)

Liam02

Re: Midnight Oil appreciation thread
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 11:51:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
OMG, i saw them in Boston before they broke up. One of the best concerts ever. I put them and U2 up there as the most passionate, awesome live and a social consciousness...
Whenever I put on their best of CD I am transported.  When The Power and The Passion song came out I thought it was great, but it took me years to get around to buying anything by them. I regret that.

U2 don't come anywhere near the level of social consciousness that Midnight Oil did. They are not even comparable on this...in my opinion.
i agree with you on that all Oil songs are political and about aboriginal land rights about USA greed and war etc....

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 12:46:34 PM »
U2 paints their social consciousness with much broader strokes than, let's say, Midnight Oil or Rage Against the Machine, who are very specific in their causes.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 01:55:18 PM »
OMG, i saw them in Boston before they broke up. One of the best concerts ever. I put them and U2 up there as the most passionate, awesome live and a social consciousness...
Whenever I put on their best of CD I am transported.  When The Power and The Passion song came out I thought it was great, but it took me years to get around to buying anything by them. I regret that.

U2 don't come anywhere near the level of social consciousness that Midnight Oil did. They are not even comparable on this...in my opinion.

no rock band ever did. Only Public Enemy came close.

#@!

deco20

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 03:23:06 AM »
Midnight Oil is what U2 would be if they took the "political route" in their music.

Beds are Burning is a superb song only if you listen to that one song. Overall, Diesel and Dust is at my top 20 albums.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 04:53:51 PM »
I saw them 2 months before this was filmed; the intensity was scary:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 01:46:00 AM »
Sadly, seeing what Garrett has become it's hard to listen to some of his past lyrics.

But an incredible live band and one of the finest this country has produced.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 04:57:42 AM »
The first concert I ever saw was a Midnight Oil show on the Blue Sky Mining Tour and it still ranks as one of the best I've ever seen.  Once or twice a year I rediscover Midnight Oil and dig deeper into the albums.  I'm in that place now with Earth And Sun And Moon getting quite a few plays.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • Just a good ol' boy
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 07:28:02 PM »
I was talking to one of my professors the other day and he recommended I pick up Diesel and Dust. I was at my favorite record store today and came across it. BAM it's been spinning nonstop since about 1:00 today. It is awesome!

What other albums are good by Midnight Oil??

Online briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 01:44:52 PM »
Have a crack at Blue sky mining...

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 01:53:11 PM »
Everything from Place Without a Postcard through Earth and Sun and Moon is downright essential.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • Just a good ol' boy
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
thanks guys, I'll have a listen to them

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Judas says, John I'm getting nowhere.
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 09:45:05 PM »
The Dead Heart still amazes me to this day.   I can put that on my MP3 player and everything else stops.   I remember the first time I heard Artic World.  I must have played it 10 times in a row.    Likewise with Mountains of Burma from BSM.   Stunning stuff.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 06:19:51 AM »
I saw them 2 months before this was filmed; the intensity was scary:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Seriously, wow, lucky you....beds are burning is just one of those songs that will never die.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 08:48:13 AM »
New 36-song retrospective, new interview with Rob Hirst:    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Desert Rose
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
I only have D&D, Blue Sky Mining, and Earth & Sun & Moon, but these guys were a formative band in my youth.  I finally got to see them in Chicago shortly before they called it quits.  I would gladly see them again if they ever reformed.  Blue Sky Mining is their best, imo.  One of my first CDs, and still just stunning melodically.