Author Topic: METALLICA  (Read 2030 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
Re: METALLICA
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I love pretty much every song on the new album. The 2nd half is not worse than the first for me - its just more experimental and different. A song like "Am I Savage?" is just insane, and those vocals are out of this world. Finally a real return to form for Metallica.

U2 should take notes... although I have pretty much given up on them at this point.

If you didn't give up on Metallica after the debacle that was St. Anger, I don't see how you can give up on U2 after a career of decent, good, really good, or great albums.

Vocally, Hetfield still sounds really good. I'm impressed at the consistency there. If you played me this album and didn't tell me when it was released, I'd swear from vocals alone that it came out in the 80s/90s. He sounds that good.

Offline Rasmus

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 10:10:43 AM »
I love pretty much every song on the new album. The 2nd half is not worse than the first for me - its just more experimental and different. A song like "Am I Savage?" is just insane, and those vocals are out of this world. Finally a real return to form for Metallica.

U2 should take notes... although I have pretty much given up on them at this point.

If you didn't give up on Metallica after the debacle that was St. Anger, I don't see how you can give up on U2 after a career of decent, good, really good, or great albums.

Vocally, Hetfield still sounds really good. I'm impressed at the consistency there. If you played me this album and didn't tell me when it was released, I'd swear from vocals alone that it came out in the 80s/90s. He sounds that good.

I love St. Anger. It is a work of art to me unlike any other album ever made - pure raw emotion. Granted it is pretty unlistenable if you are not in the mood or can relate to it so I understand the animosity towards it. U2 in the last 15 years have just been boring and uninteresting - compared to that I much prefer St. Anger.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 10:51:42 AM »
I actually like St. Anger for what it is. It's terrible in many ways but when I'm in the right mood for it I can enjoy it. I feel like it's Metallica taking a Sonic Youth approach, with bizarre song structures, wonky production and experimental tweaks. A lot of the criticism directed at it is valid but I do enjoy listening to it from time to time. "The Unnamed Feeling" is worth the price of admission alone.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 11:28:19 AM »
Yeah, but can't the same be said of U2's work over the last 15 years? I'm not going to listen to ATYCLB or HTDAAB all the time or as much as the albums before them, but when I'm in the mood for it, I actually like it a lot. Same with SoI. Some songs have very strong lyrics, some have strong vocals, some have strong guitar, some have strong rhythm etc. I can find something redeeming in pretty much every U2 song of the last 15 years, save for a few songs.

In the case of St. Anger, there's nothing about it that is redeeming. It is awful across the board. Lyrically, it's atrocious. Production-wise, it's terrible. Musically, it feels like Metallica changing their sound to get a radio hit (compare it to rock music of that time, you'll see what I mean) rather than doing something brave and evolving their sound.

Believe me, 15 year old me wanted to love that album, having loved Metallica's earlier albums. Couldn't do it, though, and their 2008 album wasn't much better. I've tried over the years to listen to both but every time end up hating it more than the last time.

This new album is pretty good for a hard rock record in today's musical landscape. It's far superior to its two predecessors. Not sure I'd rank it above 90s Metallica or 80s Metallica, but maybe with more listens I might change my mind.

Of course, it's just my opinion, but to call Metallica's first two 00s albums less boring than U2's first two 00s albums...not sure I can see the logic in that. I think the overall reception by fans/reviews by critics says it all. HTDAAB and ATYCLB were very well received by critics and many fans adore those albums (as evidenced by the popularity of those songs at concerts). Just about every Metallica fan I know hates St. Anger and the album was very poorly received by critics, too.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 12:16:40 PM »
Yea his vocals took me off guard on first listen as they weren't as "growly" as i was used to from him. He sounds young, not like 80's vocals young just a different kind of young.

I think DM is solid and not as good as HTSD, and i think HTSD is miles ahead of Load. Never heard Reload or St. Anger.

Offline Rasmus

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2016, 12:46:33 PM »
Yeah, but can't the same be said of U2's work over the last 15 years? I'm not going to listen to ATYCLB or HTDAAB all the time or as much as the albums before them, but when I'm in the mood for it, I actually like it a lot. Same with SoI. Some songs have very strong lyrics, some have strong vocals, some have strong guitar, some have strong rhythm etc. I can find something redeeming in pretty much every U2 song of the last 15 years, save for a few songs.

In the case of St. Anger, there's nothing about it that is redeeming. It is awful across the board. Lyrically, it's atrocious. Production-wise, it's terrible. Musically, it feels like Metallica changing their sound to get a radio hit (compare it to rock music of that time, you'll see what I mean) rather than doing something brave and evolving their sound.

Believe me, 15 year old me wanted to love that album, having loved Metallica's earlier albums. Couldn't do it, though, and their 2008 album wasn't much better. I've tried over the years to listen to both but every time end up hating it more than the last time.

This new album is pretty good for a hard rock record in today's musical landscape. It's far superior to its two predecessors. Not sure I'd rank it above 90s Metallica or 80s Metallica, but maybe with more listens I might change my mind.

Of course, it's just my opinion, but to call Metallica's first two 00s albums less boring than U2's first two 00s albums...not sure I can see the logic in that. I think the overall reception by fans/reviews by critics says it all. HTDAAB and ATYCLB were very well received by critics and many fans adore those albums (as evidenced by the popularity of those songs at concerts). Just about every Metallica fan I know hates St. Anger and the album was very poorly received by critics, too.

That HTDAAB (and to a certain extent ATYCLB) was well received is part of the problem. It has stopped U2 from evolving which means taking risks. And by taking risks you can fail. U2 dont take risks any longer which was a huge part in me becoming a fan of them in the first place (see Pop and Zooropa). And dont say that the way they released SoI was a risk - it was the exact opposite. To me albums like HTDAAB is boring middle-of-the road pop rock and as I said id take an interesting failure over that any day of the week.

Offline fishcci

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2016, 06:59:45 PM »
To me, they went the ATYCLB (which I actually like)  route with the Black Album-they stopped doing what they were best at: thrashy, long dynamic songs, and just became another "rock" band. "And Justice" was their peak. When they started covering Bob Seger songs...well, nuff said.
Their new album , from what I sampled, sounds like their older stuff; however, is there anywhere for them to go from there, trying to go back? 
While U2 may be done reinventing themselves, U2 stayed growing and successful probably longer than any band.
With few exceptions, 10 years seems to be the magic number as far as staying relevant or evolving while still being popular.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2016, 07:08:16 PM »
you NEED to get the new one. i'm a very recent Metallica fan and i enjoyed the first 4 and black and this new one is killer and fits in with the 80's stuff perfectly.

Offline DEX

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2016, 01:11:55 AM »
New Metallica album is great.

Looking forward to the concert.

I've always wanted to hear Bono, Edge and Lars play together.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2016, 07:47:26 AM »

I don't see how St. Anger could be the result of trying to write a radio hit. The production and structure of that album is anything but commercial. I know a couple of the tracks got some moderate radio play but most people would have trouble recognizing a song from this record. The Black Album and Load/Reload were much more accessible; St. Anger is about as far from mainstream as you can get.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »
watched A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica last night. good stuff. yea Lars is a lil tard. reminds me of the mouth whiney child that thinks he can boss his parents or sibling around.

what are other good Metallivids? i've heard Some Kind of Monster is good but i wanted to check out an 80's vid.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2016, 01:36:11 PM »
watched A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica last night. good stuff. yea Lars is a lil tard. reminds me of the mouth whiney child that thinks he can boss his parents or sibling around.

what are other good Metallivids? i've heard Some Kind of Monster is good but i wanted to check out an 80's vid.

Through the Never is an awesome film. I haven't seen any of the 80's ones.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
METALLICA
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2016, 12:15:34 AM »
Some Kind of Monster is great, but don't expect a happy Metallica movie with lots of performances.

S&M is great too, as are the Live Sh*t videos.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »
so the band's fb page has a video i can't seem to link to that just says "monday" on a flickering tv screen.

USA TOUR DATES?!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »
so the band's fb page has a video i can't seem to link to that just says "monday" on a flickering tv screen.

USA TOUR DATES?!

Yep.