Author Topic: Buying tickets for European shows  (Read 3534 times)

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
Buying tickets for European shows
« on: January 13, 2009, 07:04:09 PM »
I am planning to try to go to Dublin and/or Europe for some of the shows this tour.  I've never done that before (I'm in the US) and was wondering about the best way to get tickets.  Are there certain websites (ie European Ticketmaster) or reputable ticket agencies?  Or do you think it will change with the new Live Nation deal? 

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
Re: Buying tickets for European shows
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 03:51:14 AM »
I think (but I might be wrong) that the biggest issue with buying tickets in Europe is that every country has its own distributor(s) which makes things difficult.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 04:33:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am planning to try to go to Dublin and/or Europe for some of the shows this tour.  I've never done that before (I'm in the US) and was wondering about the best way to get tickets.  Are there certain websites (ie European Ticketmaster) or reputable ticket agencies?  Or do you think it will change with the new Live Nation deal? 
well i know a lot of people who made across the atlantic to dublin for the croke park shows.my wife was one of them.she like everybody took her chance with the presales via u2.com.i think your probably going to have to go through that experience to make sure you get some european dates  ;)  failing that you could use ticketmaster(i have another name for them ) and just take your chance like everybodyelse. im not sure what the deal with live nation over here will be.

daveyg

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 06:08:10 AM »
Well if you want to head to the Dublin ones (and obviously not living here, so "queue up" is a non-starter), ticketmaster.ie is probably the best start!

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:31:39 AM »

This is an incomplete list, but will get you started. All have an english language version except the Austrian website. Live Nation are indeed planning their own ticket selling website, but the last I heard it is not yet fully developed so we will be stuck with ticketmaster for another while at least.

Ireland You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
UK You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Germany You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   www.kartenhaus.de
France You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Spain You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Italy You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Austria You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Switzerland You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Belgium You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   www.ticketstream.cz

There is a Ticketmaster Listing for Europe here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which lists some of the websites above, but Ticketmaster Europe do not have the whole market to themselves like in the US.

When I was planning a US trip in 2005, I was horrified to learn that for some bizzare reason, The US ticketmaster site did not accept European credit cards, so I was unable to purchase tickets using my Irish credit card. Got lucky and managed to overcome this obstacle with some US relations. It might be a good idea to check this on the European websites, I would doubt however, that there is an obstacle like this on the European websites.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 06:38:42 AM by Falling At Your Feet »

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:44:36 AM »

This is an incomplete list, but will get you started. All have an english language version except the Austrian website. Live Nation are indeed planning their own ticket selling website, but the last I heard it is not yet fully developed so we will be stuck with ticketmaster for another while at least.

Ireland You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
UK You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Germany You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   www.kartenhaus.de
France You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Spain You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Italy You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Austria You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Switzerland You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Belgium You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   www.ticketstream.cz

There is a Ticketmaster Listing for Europe here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which lists some of the websites above, but Ticketmaster Europe do not have the whole market to themselves like in the US.

When I was planning a US trip in 2005, I was horrified to learn that for some bizzare reason, The US ticketmaster site did not accept European credit cards, so I was unable to purchase tickets using my Irish credit card. Got lucky and managed to overcome this obstacle with some US relations. It might be a good idea to check this on the European websites, I would doubt however, that there is an obstacle like this on the European websites.
i managed to get tickets for sept chicago show through the u2 presale ,i didn't have  a problem with my credit card being in uk .

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 03:58:50 PM »
I am slightly mistaken, but only slightly !

The issue was not that you could not buy tickets, it was that with a non US credit card, the only option was "Will Call", it wasn't possible to actually have the tickets posted to Ireland, and thats still the case.
Now if you have GA tickets for an event and you want to go up the front, collecting your tickets on the day is not a good option. Also, call me old fashioned but I like to have the tickets in my hand before I leave Ireland and travel a few thousand miles to the US.

It says this on the ticketmaster.com delivery method help page:
"Standard Mail - for events that occur in Canada or the United States, but only if you make your ticket order at a time that is sufficiently before the date of the event. If the event is in the United States, then you will only be able to use this method if you have a United States or Canadian billing address.
UPS - for events that occur in the United States, but only for purchasers who use a United States billing address"

This ridiculous clause is not on the European ticketmaster and other ticket websites. So if they can do it in Europe, why can't they do it in the US

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 02:01:42 AM »
I am slightly mistaken, but only slightly !

The issue was not that you could not buy tickets, it was that with a non US credit card, the only option was "Will Call", it wasn't possible to actually have the tickets posted to Ireland, and thats still the case.
Now if you have GA tickets for an event and you want to go up the front, collecting your tickets on the day is not a good option. Also, call me old fashioned but I like to have the tickets in my hand before I leave Ireland and travel a few thousand miles to the US.

It says this on the ticketmaster.com delivery method help page:
"Standard Mail - for events that occur in Canada or the United States, but only if you make your ticket order at a time that is sufficiently before the date of the event. If the event is in the United States, then you will only be able to use this method if you have a United States or Canadian billing address.
UPS - for events that occur in the United States, but only for purchasers who use a United States billing address"

This ridiculous clause is not on the European ticketmaster and other ticket websites. So if they can do it in Europe, why can't they do it in the US

yeah your right on the will call thing.we had to pick our tickets up at the venue and show the credit card i paid with, that evening.like you i always prefer to have my tickets in my hand so i know there here .

Offline rabdeb

• Stranger in a Strange Land
How do you get tickets to shows in Europe?
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 11:42:48 AM »
What's the best way for an American to get tickets to shows in Europe?

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: How do you get tickets to shows in Europe?
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »
already covered in detail here;

Offline oy_vey_mama

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 01:25:33 PM »
Will call policy may vary with the venue/artist for UK/Ireland shows. If at all possible, try to get them mailed. Will call at Irish venues is an "adventure" to say the least. I booked tickets for both nights in Dublin on Zooropa, had the first pair in hand before I left (part of a travel package from an Irish travel agent in NYC) but had to get the 2nd night at Will Call and only on the night of the show. As it turned out, RDS Will Call was INSIDE the gates, which is kind of problematic when security doesn't let you in the gates without a ticket ::) Fortunately I found the press entrance and spoke to one of U2's staff about the issue and she was able to walk me in to get my tickets (got a bonus "tour" of the backstage area, too, since we had to walk through there to get to the box office!)

More recently, I've booked tickets for Pogues shows, football matches and a show at Royal Albert Hall from the US. Sometimes Ticket*aster* mailed the tickets to my US address prior to departure, other times I had to pick up at the box office. At the Newcastle Pogues show, not only couldn't I pick up my tickets until the day of the show, they wouldn't even release them until 30min prior to the show! Needless to say with a lot of internet bookings and a GA venue, those of us stuck with will call missed the opening band and ended up in the back.

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 10:50:40 AM »
If you think that was a bad experience, at least you had the option of getting them mailed to you in the US which you obviously declined. How about us Europeans trying to get tickets for U2 shows in the US.

I discovered in 2005 that you have you NO option to get them mailed to you if using a NON US credit card, willcall is the only option. Travel a few thousand miles without tickets - I don't think so.
Fortunately I had to get them using a US credit card and got them mailed to them who mailed them to me. This was because you also are unable to get them mailed to an address outside of the US.

The above issues are not encountered by people wishing to buy tickets for European shows, who live outside of Europe, and the postal charges are also significantly lower.  Another thing I got a good laugh off, was the "Convienience Charge", this was a new on on me, customers are convieniencing ticketmaster by buying them online as it saves massive administration costs. You won't find any "Convienience charges" on European ticket websites