Author Topic: Depressed people club  (Read 38480 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Depressed people club
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2009, 10:49:35 AM »
Stroking my cat and listening to music always helps lift my depression.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2009, 03:41:34 PM »
Some days at work bring me to tears as I ponder the futility of it all.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2009, 03:45:20 PM »
Thanks to everyone here for your advice and kindness. It is appreciated by those who may need it. Uplate....I don't think this thread was an accident at this time for you. You were meant to see it to know your U2 friends are here for you and want to help you in any way we can - even if it as simple as making you laugh and forget. Your doctor may know the course of treatment for you, but your friends will be here to support you through whatever the future may bring you. Take good care of yourself.

Alton Dalton

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009, 03:51:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks to everyone here for your advice and kindness. It is appreciated by those who may need it. Uplate....I don't think this thread was an accident at this time for you. You were meant to see it to know your U2 friends are here for you and want to help you in any way we can - even if it as simple as making you laugh and forget. Your doctor may know the course of treatment for you, but your friends will be here to support you through whatever the future may bring you. Take good care of yourself.

SG, in the nicest way possible, I had a feeling you would have one hand on the helm in this thread. You're truly a great person.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:53:50 PM by Alton Dalton »

Offline Borack

• Desert Rose
  • All fans are equal, but some fans are more equal than others.
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 06:13:40 PM »
Greetings

I'm new to these forums and always verbose, so I apologise if I'm breaking rules by including a link. Should it not work, I'd encourage people to Google "Charles Handy" and "The Age of Paradox" and "Cornish, Edward". Somewhere there should be a free version of the book review from "The Futurist" publication. The link is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I include this to reference Charles Handy's publication and to offer a point myself. The review notes:

Handy concludes his book by arguing that three things will be necessary to make sense of our paradoxical world and to succeed in it: a sense of continuity, a sense of community, and a sense of direction.

Continuity means that we see our lives as continuing from the past into the future. We do not exist simply in the present, cut off from what has happened in the world before we appeared or what will happen after we are gone. He notes that the last few verses of the Book of Ruth consist of nothing but a series of "begats"--"Pharoz begat Hezron, and Hezron begat Ram, etc.," down to "and Jesse begat David." The point of the begats, Handy tells us, is that David, the great king of the Jews, would never have existed without all those people who came before him. Without our ancestors, however unimportant they may seem, we would not exist; without us, our descendants, literal or figurative, would not exist.

Recognizing our continuity with the past, Handy suggests, we see that we ourselves are links in a chain and that "it is up to us to keep things going because who knows which generation will be the one to make the big difference." The sense of continuity leads to "cathedral philosophy, the thinking behind the people who designed and built the great cathedrals, knowing that they would never live long enough to see them finished." The "cathedrals" we are working on today will not be of stone and glass, but will take equally long to build; we who start the buildings may not live to see their completion. "It is hard to believe that we will make the sacrifices involved unless we can believe in the long-term existence of our little local world and of the bigger global one."

The sense of connectedness, Handy's second requirement, is essential if we are to make sacrifices for other people. "Duty and conscience have no meaning if there is no sense of commitment to others, and of others to us," Handy says. "We were not meant to stand alone. We need to belong--to something or someone."

AS for me, my point is to say thanks. I'd like to thank everyone who takes the time to delve into themselves, to bravely and viscerally experience stuff, and to share. I'd like to thank everyone who has the traits of humility, inquisitiveness, integrity, and ideally optimism, and to encourage them to hang on. I'd like to thank people who care for others - family, friends, bloggers, strangers, and who consistently and deliberately extend themselves to offer support and to make a difference. And I'd like to pledge that (for 2010 and beyond) that I will do a better job of being more like you.

And last, I'd like to pray, that when and as I go through my ultimate own moment of surrender, and change phase from a rumpled physical state to a spiritual one, that in my new state, some of my unbound elemental energy can find and mingle with that of the people who have written and contributed here ... YES, ALL OF YOU ... and especially people like ElJay, Uplate, StrongGirl,Immy, and Joe G (whom I've got to note has written some wonderful poems - absolutely vital stuff). Each and all of you are making a difference and I'm comforted that there are people like you out there. Benevolent underdogs seeking to make a difference. Cathedral builders and poets, one and all. Cheers and keep as positive as you can.  Sorry about the length.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 06:17:40 PM »
I am not and have never been depressed, but I've been really sad before. But I have a great life and still have a (hopefully) great life ahead of me, so I'm almost always in a good mood. I hate being in a bad mood.

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 09:47:56 PM »
((((((HUGGING))))) all of you so tightly!!

:(
And we need it!
 :)

*hugs*  ;)

here here! lets pass em on.

*HUG!!!!!!!*

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2009, 05:57:17 AM »
I am not and have never been depressed, but I've been really sad before. But I have a great life and still have a (hopefully) great life ahead of me, so I'm almost always in a good mood. I hate being in a bad mood.

That sounds like me, I have been very sad over some situations, some I caused, some that just happened. As you get older, in my experience you can ride them out better and better, learn to look up as some people say and just give it to God.
I will tell you, its a lot easier to give it to God then to hold it and carry the burden yourself. Everyone here who feels a bit
down this holiday season, must know to come on here and know we are all here for you at any time and you will always have friends who wont judge. And yes, StrongGirl, you are a true leader in comfort here!

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »
Greetings

I'm new to these forums and always verbose, so I apologise if I'm breaking rules by including a link. Should it not work, I'd encourage people to Google "Charles Handy" and "The Age of Paradox" and "Cornish, Edward". Somewhere there should be a free version of the book review from "The Futurist" publication. The link is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I include this to reference Charles Handy's publication and to offer a point myself. The review notes:

Handy concludes his book by arguing that three things will be necessary to make sense of our paradoxical world and to succeed in it: a sense of continuity, a sense of community, and a sense of direction.

Continuity means that we see our lives as continuing from the past into the future. We do not exist simply in the present, cut off from what has happened in the world before we appeared or what will happen after we are gone. He notes that the last few verses of the Book of Ruth consist of nothing but a series of "begats"--"Pharoz begat Hezron, and Hezron begat Ram, etc.," down to "and Jesse begat David." The point of the begats, Handy tells us, is that David, the great king of the Jews, would never have existed without all those people who came before him. Without our ancestors, however unimportant they may seem, we would not exist; without us, our descendants, literal or figurative, would not exist.

Recognizing our continuity with the past, Handy suggests, we see that we ourselves are links in a chain and that "it is up to us to keep things going because who knows which generation will be the one to make the big difference." The sense of continuity leads to "cathedral philosophy, the thinking behind the people who designed and built the great cathedrals, knowing that they would never live long enough to see them finished." The "cathedrals" we are working on today will not be of stone and glass, but will take equally long to build; we who start the buildings may not live to see their completion. "It is hard to believe that we will make the sacrifices involved unless we can believe in the long-term existence of our little local world and of the bigger global one."

The sense of connectedness, Handy's second requirement, is essential if we are to make sacrifices for other people. "Duty and conscience have no meaning if there is no sense of commitment to others, and of others to us," Handy says. "We were not meant to stand alone. We need to belong--to something or someone."

AS for me, my point is to say thanks. I'd like to thank everyone who takes the time to delve into themselves, to bravely and viscerally experience stuff, and to share. I'd like to thank everyone who has the traits of humility, inquisitiveness, integrity, and ideally optimism, and to encourage them to hang on. I'd like to thank people who care for others - family, friends, bloggers, strangers, and who consistently and deliberately extend themselves to offer support and to make a difference. And I'd like to pledge that (for 2010 and beyond) that I will do a better job of being more like you.

And last, I'd like to pray, that when and as I go through my ultimate own moment of surrender, and change phase from a rumpled physical state to a spiritual one, that in my new state, some of my unbound elemental energy can find and mingle with that of the people who have written and contributed here ... YES, ALL OF YOU ... and especially people like ElJay, Uplate, StrongGirl,Immy, and Joe G (whom I've got to note has written some wonderful poems - absolutely vital stuff). Each and all of you are making a difference and I'm comforted that there are people like you out there. Benevolent underdogs seeking to make a difference. Cathedral builders and poets, one and all. Cheers and keep as positive as you can.  Sorry about the length.

Borack, thank you for the highest of praise, both to me and others here, and thank you for expanding our collective perspective.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »
Yes, like Joe G. said Borack.....thank you so much for the kind words.

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »

SG, in the nicest way possible, I had a feeling you would have one hand on the helm in this thread. You're truly a great person.

^ What he said. You ARE truly a great person, and a great friend.

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2009, 06:41:15 PM »
I don't think I've ever been depressed, but I too have been really sad. At this moment I'm actually in a pretty bad mood  >:(

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »
I'm only depressed when I'm not at work.  I'm downright blissful at the office, but home sucks.  That is way wrong.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2009, 10:33:39 PM »
Hang in there forum friends. We get to carry each other. (Mmm.... would make great song lyrics..... ;))

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • You break and enter my imagination
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 02:09:25 AM »
I hide my depression from people,so I would avoid question.

And everyone still looks at me as optimistic and always smiled girl.I wanna stay like that in their eyes.