Author Topic: Depressed people club  (Read 36898 times)

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
Re: Depressed people club
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2009, 05:59:14 AM »
Disco, theres nothing wrong with not telling everyone you know everything about yourself either.
Sometimes we have things we need to keep personal. Its nice to know here we can share and
feel comfortable though.

And always remember, laughter is the best medicine they say. Daveyg has some comedian he likes
that he posted awhile back. He did a spoof with Bono, its hilarious, definelty good medicine for anyone.
Ask him if you get the chance. :)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face as I'm listening to the new album.
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2009, 02:37:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hide my depression from people,so I would avoid question.

And everyone still looks at me as optimistic and always smiled girl.I wanna stay like that in their eyes.

I've already told you and others, because truthfully, I trust you and my friends on this forum more than my actual friends in real life.

I know they'd probably help me, but they'd end up telling others, and before you know it, viola, everyone knows.

It's so odd though for somebody here to have the same problem as I do, like I'm understood in a way.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2009, 04:44:37 PM »
I sometimes think the world is made up of two kinds of people.

Those who are depressed, and those who hide it very well.

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2009, 09:00:09 PM »
I would like to think there are truly happy people out there, but I think Joe G is probably closer to the truth.

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2009, 09:01:22 PM »
I would like to think there are truly happy people out there, but I think Joe G is probably closer to the truth.

I agree with him sort of.

I'm on the hiding part  :-\

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2009, 09:04:50 PM »

There are truly happy people out there, and at one point I was one of them. Sadly, it's a fact of life that no one is blissfully happy 100% of the time. I have yet to meet someone who hasn't hit a rough patch at some point.

Offline Boom Cha!

• Acrobat
  • Do you live here or is this a vacation?
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2009, 09:05:35 PM »
I don't think anyone can be 100% happy. Everyone has problems. And everyone hides their problems.

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
  • Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed...
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2009, 10:48:05 PM »
Wow, this thread is very helpful.

I think Depression is swept under the carpet a lot and that when you say you suffer from depression people look at you differently. DG I totally hear you...
I am a "hider" I chose to hid my depression because I worry that other people may never forget it and they will label me in a way that takes something away from who I am.  I don't want anyone to know.

U2 plays a big role in buoying me up in the hardest times.  It started with Bad...My Mother Died when I was 11 and I hid all my emotions and thought I was being strong.  Bad knocked me back and I could cry when I would listen to it by myself.  Ever since my mothers death I struggle with grief.  Break ups of relationships, losing something meaningful, failure... that grief you feel after any loss sends me reeling back into depression.
I never talk about it, I have seen shrinks and took drugs, which made me feel like crap.  It is just who I am and I rally against it every day.  It is a battle. 
In 2001 when ATYCLB came out...that saved my life.  Stuck propelled me forward and lifted me up.  At the concert in Las Vegas I lost it when they played it because it means so many things to me.  I can't explain that but I love that U2 is so positive.  I find solace there.

It is nice to know that I am not alone.  I am hanging on Borack, I will look up that book.
Having things to look forward to has been a really big key for me.  Right now I am focused on June and July 2010 for the tour and that...it keeps me excited for the future and I like to try and stay positve.

Hugs to all of you.  Really big bear hugs...

countrygirl

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 08:00:35 AM »
I don't think anyone can be 100% happy. Everyone has problems. And everyone hides their problems.

This so very true.

If you all knew half of my problems.......You'd be depressed just listening to them. LOL
Sometimes it's easier to hide things than to confront them. But confronting them will help you deal with them better.
Every day I wake up and I have a choice to make, sometimes I choose to be sad, I try not to but it's life I guess.

Offline Thehorsefly [whinny!]

• Desert Rose
  • Nobody gonna feel no pain,Nobody gonna cry someday
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2009, 12:04:18 PM »
   I sometimes get into a pretty deep hole. I know I spent a significant amount of time in one last year, and some this year, but I think this year has been a little better. Sometimes, all it takes to trigger it are some negative words from my parents that remind me of some things that happened after my parents divorce. I don't like to talk to my dad about it much, because I feel like he would just rather assure me that "it's normal for teenagers to get like that" and "everyone gets depressed sometimes" than actually listen to me when I feel like talking about it. I'm not disregarding what he says about it, I know it is typical for teenagers to get moody, but it feels like he would rather brush it off with something quick, or tell me why I shouldn't be depressed, or whatever. I would just feel... unmotivated, a bit numb to things, and just wanting to sleep, pretty much. Some people just want to preach to you about it. I get Bible verses recited to me all the time in a way that I feel keeps me from really being able to express my problem. It's frustrating when people use them that way, because that's certainly not the proper way to use Scripture. If I need something to help me keep a better perspective, or to improve my perspective, U2's music really can help. I teared up slightly when they started playing "Stuck in a Moment" at the Atlanta show, because I was reminded of those times when I just had to cling to those lyrics : "And if the night runs over/ And if the day won't last/ And if our way should falter/ Along this stony pass/ It's just a moment/ This time will pass"
   As I stated before though, this year has, I think, been a bit better. I certainly hope the best for all of us in 2010. I apologize for the length. Stay strong, and remember that you can always come to the forum if you're struggling. Peace and love.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:11:12 PM by Thehorsefly [one of the herd, an original of the species] »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2009, 12:41:31 PM »
hj , CG & horsefly........I am glad to see that you are all finding positive ways to deal with depression and your problems. We all have them and yes, often hide them. Uplate is right, no one on this planet is happy all the time and without problems. It is how we choose to deal with them that I feel makes a difference. When I have a problem, I like to help others. It makes me feel really happy to know that I made a difference in someone's life even if it is in a small way. hj - I love that you use the positive music of U2 to get you through. Horsefly , it looks like U2 has done that for you at tough times.

Our love for U2 has brought all of us together and now we are all here to help our forum friends in any way we can. If our forum provides laughter and helps to forget our troubles for awhile , then that is great! But I think threads like this do far more than just make us laugh. They help us heal. They are so important!

I hope you all feel free to post here if you feel comfortable doing so. No one judges. We all learn that we are not the same but we are one - same feelings, same troubles. 

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2009, 04:28:35 AM »
My depression started probably after my girlfriend had to move away. People said to me that falling in love at 13 and a half just doesn't happen, that it's not true love, just a "teen" sort of love that isn't true like when you're older. But most don't know how involved both her and I were with one another. Her name was Carmen, she was an exchange student from Spain when she came over to the States. And then I met her, and we fell in love with one another, even despite the fact that she couldn't speak English too well. Okay, so it started as a just simple "Oh she's my girlfriend, aren't you jealous" Thing, but in a month, it changed to "I love every single aspect about her" sort of thing. I was as happy as I'd ever been, even though I was only around 14 years old. And we even were beginning to talk about college and out futures. But I forgot she had to move back, the thought just dissipated from my mind at the time. And when she told me about it... I cried, inside and out. Her parents were very strict also upon friends and stuff, and forbid her talking to me anymore, ending pretty much the relationship we had enjoyed for nearly an entire year.

That started the downfall for me, as I fell down into a deep depression for a few months, but hid it from my family because I didn't want them worrying about me too much, they didn't deserve to think it was their fault. Since then It's been on an off, because deep within me I always thought she was it.

Then I tried asking out girls again, having a new outlook on having a girlfriend now. I thought it was show before, but now I promised myself that I'd try to be everything that a girl could ask for. Cause I started believed that she was taken away from me because of something I did.

Now though, I've learned that she's probably happy with another person somewhere, and that she'd wish for me to be the same.  :)

So I've moved on, and though I still do get depressed on certain days, I've learned to cope with it and continue positively for the people who do care about me.

This forum has helped more than I ever had imagined. So many friendly kind people on this forum to talk to, everybody her like one big happy family that I was let into and embraced. I can't thank everybody enough for it.  :)

The forum, as well as music, have turned into outlets for which I can let all my stress and depression drift away for a little while, and now somebody here is helping to heal my broken heart :)

I hope everybody here can find a light out of that tunnel of depression in the new year to come.  :)

Oh and I apologize for the length  :D

countrygirl

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2009, 06:06:48 AM »
Middy, You are such a great person!! Any girl would be blessed to have you in her life!!!

I'm glad that this is a place where we can "carry each other"  :)

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
Look around you, everyone, at all the people posting their brave and wise words on this thread.  You are not alone.  We are not alone.  Depression is a sh**ty thing.  It can knock the spunk right out of you, drop you down a deep hole that you think you'll never climb out of.  But people do climb out of it, every day.  Sometimes you need a hand to pull you up.  I've lived in the hole myself.  The best advice i can give is TELL SOMEONE!  Borack is right in that we live in community with each other.  Whatever your community- your family, your church, your forum.  There is always someone who will help you and listen. 

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2009, 01:28:41 PM »
middy, i am right with you.  100%.

when i was fourteen, i met someone who changed my life forever.  she introduced me to U2, new notions on life, and taught me that the real meaning of love was to love without condition.  i too was told by people that it was just 'teen romance' and all that BS.  but i swear to you, i truly believe she was greater than this world.  like, ridiculously and completely greater than this world.  angelic, maybe.  i don't know.

she and i were on the way to becoming engaged, despite going to different colleges.  then when i came home in october of my first year at school, to see her off, she got in a car accident that night and was killed.  it was so bad the police had to call me in to identify her body.

i have been living with this for the past four (almost) years.  but every day when i get up and look at her picture i know that some force somewhere is helping me.  i've come to realize that U2's music is an integral part of that force.  without it, i probably wouldn't be alive today.

for everybody out there who's depressed or who's feeling down about the world, i want to say the I LOVE YOU. 

that's what i've come to realize, and that's what U2 has shown me.  true love is unconditional.  what with the holiday season coming and all, i feel like everyone should be thinking about this right now.  just sit and think for a moment: there's someone out there, maybe me, maybe somebody like me...who loves you without knowing you.  just think about it. 

i hope this brings a little light into people's day.  i've just been really glad that i've been able to meet some wonderful people on this forum who've been so great! it's really given me an inspiration.  take heart, everyone.  like U2yooper said, don't keep it in. 

"shout it out!!"