Author Topic: Depressed people club  (Read 34945 times)

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
  • Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed...
Re: Depressed people club
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2009, 03:04:37 PM »
I am so glad to discover such brave people.  I can't imagine the grief you have gone through Runningtostandstill.  My heart goes out to you.  Thanks to everybody for the inspiration!

When I first heard the Sarah MacLachlan song "Full of Grace" (It has weird U2ey connections for me, like the live version is on an album called "Under a Blackened Sky" and the "letting go" part for me, made me think of Bad) she managed to sum up the way I felt so well...

"I feel just like I'm sinking
and I claw for solid ground
I'm pulled down by the undertow
I never thought I could feel so low
oh darkness I feel like letting go"

All of your strength and courage will lift me and I will remember your words RTS--true love is unconditional.
Sometimes I have to remind myself that it's not unreturned love, from a certain somebody, that hurts.  It's just sometimes the "thing" I'm focusing on, keeps me from feeling all the love that others are sending me.

countrygirl

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2009, 03:16:11 PM »
Runningtostandstill, I'm so sorry.

Thankyou for your inspiration!

Offline Borack

• Child of Grace
  • ... And treat those two impostors just the same.
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2009, 11:22:32 PM »
A favourite quote belongs to the philosopher Albert Camus, who recommended we "Live to the point of tears." While I believe this is great advice, it does raise the question - tears of what? Joy and triumph? Despair and doubt? ... It makes you wonder.

While I do not suffer from depression, I try to understand its often devastating impact. I say "try" because I haven't experienced it directly or powefully enough to "own" this knowledge.  I have a quiet love and respect for people with this condition, and I wish them well.

What I struggle with is "vividness" or inappropriate sensitivity. I can still experience intense, raw and visceral feelings - good or bad - in a fairly direct way and these feelings can be almost overwhelming. In particular, at or during U2 shows, I probably tear up or weep at least 8 times - often at songs I've never really listened intently to. However, I feel fortunate as these moments remind me that I'm alive. Often, these songs involve transformations or triumphs where our hero turns a corner or takes a bold first step.

When I combine "Walk On" and "Moment of Surrender" or much material on NLOTH, I start thinking about the process or the moments of emancipation. I have recently been trying to expand my focus or ideas to reflect on other moments too. I think of these as shift points, when we let go, when we move forward, when we climb up, when we prevail. Occasionally I get struck by insight, such as with this sign and "magnificent". The song note "only love can leave such a mark ... only love can heal such a scar".

Perhaps we can learn from and through other simpler creatures. For instance, throughout their lives, certain "animals" molt. For instance, a crab sheds its exoskeleton to grow a new one.  During this process, it makes itself vulnerable, but also discards the baggage and the marks and scars that adorn its armor. It leaves it all behind, and though weak and meet for a while, eventually becomes a more powerful, more vital entity. If the crab did not molt, it would condemn and restrict itself to living in a small, cramped and claustrophobic shell. And it would remain vulnerable due to size and its timidity. So do what you can to find love, set up your moments of surrender and then walk on and leave it behind. Even an electric crab sign in a beer add can inspire.

May we find the courage or space to molt and discard some of our old armor, if for no other better reason than to better feel, appreciate and reciprocate the hugs being exchanged here.  I'll be praying for you all, and I sincerely promise that my future posts will be brief. But before I do, I'll send a thanks to those generous souls that care and share. As Elton John noted in Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters,

Until you've seen this trash can dream come true
You stand at the edge while people run you through
And I thank the lord there's people out there like you
I thank the lord there's people out there like you

May your God bless you all, especially those here, near and dear that may suffer. Find the best in yourselves and don't be afraid to share it.

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2009, 05:17:45 AM »
I've known friends, relatives and colleagues who have taken their life as a result of depression.

Every day I see claims from people who can't work or have taken their life due to mental illness.

I've been in that deep dark hole too where no light shines and the futility of it all has almost been too much to bear. The irony is not lost on me that, while I was willing to give up, others were fighting a losing battle against other illnesses like cancer.

In Australia we have a concerted campaign of increasing public awareness of the impact of mental illness and removing the stigma that attaches to it. That has helped to cut the number of suicides but the harsh reality is that more people die by their own hand than by car accidents. What ever your circumstances talk to someone or be there for someone.

Offline trlica

• Holy Joe
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »
I know that statistics say that as holidays are closer there are more and more depressed people in the world. :'( :'(

I would like that this forum helps some of them!! :-* :-*

:)

Offline trlica

• Holy Joe
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »

O.K. I am depressed right now and I do not know why!  :'(
I just feel that way. :( :(

But I shoul feel better in the morning ???

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* to all depressed people right now!!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2009, 03:37:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I am sorry trlica! Please know that the OLC ladies are always here to chat or cheer you up with a funny story. You are not alone. We all feel that way sometimes. Hang in there. You make others feel so positive and smile. Give a little of that to yourself! 

Offline Borack

• Child of Grace
  • ... And treat those two impostors just the same.
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2009, 08:17:23 AM »

I am sorry trlica! Please know that the OLC ladies are always here to chat or cheer you up with a funny story. You are not alone. We all feel that way sometimes. Hang in there. You make others feel so positive and smile. Give a little of that to yourself! 

Hey, just remember that you're loved, even if not always understood - even by yourself. These OLC ladies are formidably positive, so take heart.

Offline trlica

• Holy Joe
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2009, 01:14:13 PM »

Thanks SG,
but you know it is easier to say then do it!
I feel better when people around me are pleased and happy, but not me!! :(

I love you  :-* :-*

Offline trlica

• Holy Joe
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »

Hey, just remember that you're loved, even if not always understood - even by yourself. These OLC ladies are formidably positive, so take heart.

Thanks Borack!!

Your words mean a lot to me!   :-*
It is nice to know that you are not alone. :(

:) :)

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2009, 08:25:17 PM »
Trlica, I am here any time you need to talk. Really.

Offline trlica

• Holy Joe
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2009, 12:29:48 PM »
Thanks to all of you!!
 :) :) :)

Joining this forum is the best Christmas gift that I got this year!! :)

You guys mean a lot to me :) :)

I love you all!!

:-* :-* :-*

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2009, 02:47:45 PM »
Mornings are always smarter than evenings.

I can always tell you that from my own experiences.

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2009, 02:48:06 PM »
It's always darkest before the dawn

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2009, 04:23:53 PM »
Thanks to all of you!!
 :) :) :)

Joining this forum is the best Christmas gift that I got this year!! :)

You guys mean a lot to me :) :)

I love you all!!

:-* :-* :-*

You accepting my invitation to join is just about the best gift I got too trlica!  Your email to me was no accident and my answering was not one either. It was meant to be my friend.