Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Every Breaking Wave performed live
« Last post by JFW on Today at 06:12:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I missed it on 360 as I didn't go to shows on the latter part of that tour.
I can nail the current acoustic version on a good day with a bit of practice.  It suits my voice and can sing acapella!
Is Bono up for a duet? ;)

Heh, I've been singing this one around the house the past few days because of this thread . . . but I'm sure not nailing it. : (

Bono really belts out the chorus on the piano version, so if you can even come close to nailing that part, I'm envious.

I've also revisited the 360 versions thanks to this thread and really like the more introspective vibe, though the lyric of the chorus is quite clunky.
I think that I can nail it when played on guitar or in the shower. Recordings claim otherwise.

I get inspired whatching Bono sings this. He expresses himself as an artist very well and sings good. Maybe his technique is not good (can someone confirm that?) but it's still a rock song because he is not too hard trying to sing it perfect. Mistakes in the song make it even better
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Every Breaking Wave performed live
« Last post by JFW on Today at 06:09:42 AM »
Yeah, I agree.  I don't think the song is intended for guitars.  It meshes great with piano, strings and light percussion.  I think that performance BlueSquirrel posted is cool but doesn't come across that well.  The version that I think is the right one for the song is:

... which happens to be the same structure as the MTV one.  I can understand the OP wanting to hear it with guitars but honestly I don't think the song was crafted for that.
Fantastic, I've been trying to find this back but didn't succeed.

So thanks for sharing. Still think MTV is better, since it has an audience. That version can hit me personally more than this one. Still good, should've made it the main albumversion  :)
News and Rumors / Re: Looooong Bono interview, Chicago, 6th Dec
« Last post by JFW on Today at 05:59:48 AM »
Before I spend 30 minutes of my live to Bono (ok am listening to Joshua Tree at the moment), what's it about?
For me its just that pre-chorus and chorus got old really quick and proceeded quickly to annoying.  It feels like the chorus is about 80% of the song along with that ridiculous ďyou and I are rock and rollĒ bit.  It became a skip button song...or nowadays, an ďAlexa...skipĒ song.

Its subjective though.  If you like it crank it up to 11 and become one with it.  Donít matter who else likes it or donít!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edge's solo on Bullet since ZooTV would be one I'd add to the list, and Adam's bass line during the same solo (some great runs and fills thrown in there and aren't in the original recording or earlier live performances) .

Adam's bassline on Magnificent is pretty cool

Larry's pretty tight all round. The earlier versions of Streets are cool (check the New Year's Eve in Dublin) where he was using the floor tom till the second verse, then to the snare. The song hasn't sounded quite the same since as he's using the higher toms. Mofo is pretty cool - especially the live versions.

Bono - humm. Which demonstrates his voice best? Unforgettable Fire period seems it at it's peak - high notes etc. Melody/lyrically - Achtung Baby maybe. Hard to say

Thatís not exactly true on Larryís drumming on Streets. He had actually always used a snare on the first verse and chrous but with the snare off, which makes it sound a little more like a tom. After the first chorus he switches to his main snare which has the snare on. He has played it on different sized snare drums over the years and has positioned it differently.  Sorry Iím very nit picky on Larryís drumming

ha - I'll take your word on it. I know he always has a left and right floor tom. Just checking New Year's eve clip '89 = You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

In and around 3.58, it appears (and sounds) like he using his left (to him) floor tom up to v1 and chorus and down to snare for rest of song (you get a few snippets on the vid). In any case, he's been using higher toms (e.g. 2.39 ish on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) which don't IMO sound as well
News and Rumors / Re: Looooong Bono interview, Chicago, 6th Dec
« Last post by wons on December 09, 2018, 11:48:33 PM »
Me, too, JT.  He's so gracious and kind.

Ah Iím lame and old, so itís an early dinner I cannot drink and party all night like the old days

I think you could still do it, as long as you do it in moderation.
General U2 Discussion / Re: No Grammy nominations for the music on Songs Of Experience
« Last post by wons on December 09, 2018, 11:42:49 PM »
The Grammys are driven by whatever the music trends are.  In the US (as elsewhere), its hip-hop, R&B, pop/dance crossover and a little country-American pop.
No rock, indie or metal in the main.

That tends to be the case in more recent years. But historically, the Grammy's used to be known in defying trends and awarding music that not everyone knew about or that was necessarily popular in terms of sales.
General U2 Discussion / Re: No Grammy nominations for the music on Songs Of Experience
« Last post by wons on December 09, 2018, 11:39:30 PM »
If U2 would just stop releasing new music, and do nothing except Greatest Hits setlists, they could tour arenas and stadiums infinitely.  Demand would probably go UP if they quit releasing new music and just focused on the hits.  I know a lot of friends that WOULD go to a U2 greatest hits tour that would probably not go to a show where they're going to play 8 songs from the new album.  Hell, my PARENTS would go to a U2 GH show. 

But U2 just aren't made that way, and I am thankful.

Well, I'm a PARENT and I wouldn't go to a U2 GH show.  I want to go to a U2 show that has brand new material, from a brand new album with Edge's chiming guitar, produced by Eno/Lanois and dealing with relevant worldly subjects. I'm tired of hearing Bono sing about Bono. The MOR rock/pop music they've put out is junk.  They need to get real again.
Yes, this path theyíve taken on the last two albums of U2 on U2 is where they have really gone off track.  Its boring.  But worse than that it gives off the impression of self-importance and self-indulgence.  It appeals most to people who are hardcore fans of the band members themselves...which is distinct from being a fan of their work.  I donít say this to insult anyone.  We all have different things that make us tick and thatís fine.  But this is not a way to broaden your appeal and be relevant to the younger demographic, which they seem to be wanting to do based on their musical production choices.  Nobody outside people who have been reading up on the band knows or cares what Cedarwood Road is.  They actually have an animated scene of their life story on the big screen!

This is different than Lennon using Strawberry Fields or McCartney using Penny Lane as a jumping off point for a creative expression that is not ďabout themĒ.  It feels like they are trying to create their own legend even if that is not what is in their hearts.

I predict the band is not done and will come back with some great art and later reflect on how they kind of lost their way in the 2010ís.

I actually think a lot of the themes they address on the recent two albums are things most fans could relate to in some way. Lots of people have a street where they grew up on or spent a good part of it growing up on, which is why Cedarwood Road is song anyone could relate to. Besides, its not the actual lyrics themselves that turn people on or off to the music, but whether the music when combined with the singing of lyrics generates some type of emotion or spiritual state or that "something else" which makes people attracted to or like a particular song or album of songs.
« Last post by wons on December 09, 2018, 11:27:27 PM »
If U2 would just stop releasing new music, and do nothing except Greatest Hits setlists, they could tour arenas and stadiums infinitely.  Demand would probably go UP if they quit releasing new music and just focused on the hits.  I know a lot of friends that WOULD go to a U2 greatest hits tour that would probably not go to a show where they're going to play 8 songs from the new album.  Hell, my PARENTS would go to a U2 GH show. 

But U2 just aren't made that way, and I am thankful.

The interesting thing is, the 360 tour supporting No Line On The Horizon actually had much better attendance in many cities than the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 did. If the new album supplies hits, or if recent previous albums did, then a new album actually brings in more fans than a greatest hits tour.

When a new album is not embraced by new fans, old fans, general public, then overall attendance shrinks. Right now, attendance at U2 shows is generally on the decline regardless of the type of tour. The last hits were in the 00s. Whatever millinial support the band had has left. That leaves the old, aging fanbase from that joined up in the late 80s/early 90s. Over time, that older fanbase gradually erodes for a variety of reasons. Thats why new hits bringing in new fans is important to maintain or grow overall attendance and demand.
« Last post by wons on December 09, 2018, 11:16:19 PM »
Nope; supply and demand--lesser demand, lower price.
I donít think U2 is ever going to generate low enough demand to play a 3,000 seat theatre at $300/seat.  Maybe a one off for some special occasion but not a tour.  U2 are more like McCartney.  They will never be less than arena-level demand due to their legacy, even if they stop releasing new music.

That's probably true, but I have seen a lot of artist who used to sellout 15,000 seat venues who are now only booking 3,000 seat venues. Generally, to maintain popularity you need to continue to generate hits with new material. If that does not happen, then attendance at concerts starts to drop off. Just look at the 110 shows of U2's 360 tour. Those 110 shows outgross and have better attendance than the 3 U2 tours(Innocence and Experience, Joshua Tree 2017, Experience and Innocence) since then combined,
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10