Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
General U2 Discussion / Re: Are u2 forums dying a death?
« Last post by Luzita on October 22, 2018, 04:59:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It does seem that other bands' forums are pretty quiet too. I'm on an Arctic Monkeys forum and it's pretty dead, only a handful of people posting, which is crazy considering they have a new album out this year and are currently on tour! So it's not just U2. It's a shame. The likes of Twitter is no place to be able to discuss your favourite bands with other fans in any detail!
Yes thatís the trouble with the newer platforms. They donít seem to encourage in-depth discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last post by Spaderholic on October 22, 2018, 04:57:27 PM »
It does seem that other bands' forums are pretty quiet too. I'm on an Arctic Monkeys forum and it's pretty dead, only a handful of people posting, which is crazy considering they have a new album out this year and are currently on tour! So it's not just U2. It's a shame. The likes of Twitter is no place to be able to discuss your favourite bands with other fans in any detail!
Fun and Games / Re: A-Z U2 songs
« Last post by kevtn43 on October 22, 2018, 04:07:31 PM »
Please
« Last post by briscoetheque on October 22, 2018, 03:59:39 PM »
Yeah it's dying. I've been coming here on and off since 2006 - more often in some years than others so I'm not 100% reliable in saying that this year has been the quietest ever....but it probably has been.
A year in which a new tour on the back of a relatively new album started.

It should be a busy time.

Its not. Oh well. At least the forum is now how Ian and Sing like it, that's the main thing. Much less posting and much less debate. Easier.

Always been the best U2 site on the Web, and still is, but the interaction and community is dead. Hard to deny that.
« Last post by 64ac30 on October 22, 2018, 03:50:35 PM »
A few things: a big part of why itís quiet is because the band donít give us as much to talk about anymore. You can only rehash the past so much before everything that needs to be said has been said.

I also think there has been a fracturing/diversification of modes of communication. For good or for ill, message boards are old. Theyíre not necessarily how people communicate or gather as they were in the past.

Lastly, for the folks who think Atu2/the message boards here shot ourselves in the foot by shutting down for a few months: the folks that didnít come back were people who talked a lot, but a lot of what they said was s#!t talking. Please donít equate the volume of drama with the volume of worthwhile conversation. I was a relatively new mod then, and still the amouint of stuff that was being dealt with behind the scenes was absurd. If these boards didnít come back like this, they wouldnít have come back at all. It is what it is, and Iíd much rather have it as it is now than not have it at all.

Donít think thatís fair for the mods to say. The mods accept u2 is a policital band but restrict political discussion. itís understandablee why many longtime u2 fans didnít like SOE, itís the most pop-culture sounding album theyíve ever put out. Of course thereís going to be a divide between people who like and donít like the new direction. If people were getting nasty, then those nasty people shouldíve been removed, not the whole forum shutdown.

Lots of longtime forum members who have written meaningful posts left because of these reasons. And honestly, mods should be put in check. If a member doesnít agree with what a mod says, they should be able to get a second moderators opinion, not threatened with being banned.
News and Rumors / Re: Article on technical aspects of the tour.
« Last post by laoghaire on October 22, 2018, 03:43:03 PM »
I would listen to Breathe in the loo
I would listen to Breathe with a cockatoo
I would listen to Breathe in a hole
I would listen to Breathe with a mole
« Last post by laoghaire on October 22, 2018, 03:26:47 PM »
LOL at "every flutter of Bono's eyelashes".  I still love him to pieces...but he remains fresh, young, and beautiful on all the IG fan accounts I follow.  His aging face is just a reflection of where I am now too, and that can be hard to confront.  Love him anyway!  And his eyelashes!

Trust me on this: I do, too.

That paragraph was basically a self dig.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Best version of 40?
« Last post by MoreMoon on October 22, 2018, 03:02:19 PM »
I've always been partial to the performance from the "Happy New Year" bootleg. It always felt peak performance to me, coming as it did with Bono's famous "dream it all up again" speech.

« Last post by Luzita on October 22, 2018, 02:22:23 PM »
A few things: a big part of why itís quiet is because the band donít give us as much to talk about anymore. You can only rehash the past so much before everything that needs to be said has been said.

I also think there has been a fracturing/diversification of modes of communication. For good or for ill, message boards are old. Theyíre not necessarily how people communicate or gather as they were in the past.

Lastly, for the folks who think Atu2/the message boards here shot ourselves in the foot by shutting down for a few months: the folks that didnít come back were people who talked a lot, but a lot of what they said was s#!t talking. Please donít equate the volume of drama with the volume of worthwhile conversation. I was a relatively new mod then, and still the amouint of stuff that was being dealt with behind the scenes was absurd. If these boards didnít come back like this, they wouldnít have come back at all. It is what it is, and Iíd much rather have it as it is now than not have it at all.
It is very true that the attractiveness of a forum depends not only on the amount of activity but on the kind of activity. As a couple of people have noted, when the conversation becomes toxic it drives most people away ó everybody except the ones who are in hog heaven rolling around in the mud.

I became involved in online fandom back before this forum shut down, and though there was some good conversation on this site there was also a lot of stuff going on that really took me aback ó like personal insults directed against band members, disparagement of other fans, entire threads that violated forum rules. Most of this was generated by a fairly small group of posters who dominated the forum by being combative and unpleasant. If anyone disagreed or objected, the toxic people reacted as though they were being victimized. I saw some of them actually saying that if anyone had a problem with their comments they should complain to the mods.

The mods are unpaid volunteers. They tried to keep a lid on things but it was evidently a losing battle. I am not at all surprised they got fed up. I was about fed up too; I was getting ready to give up on this site.

Since the shutdown, the tone of the conversation here is much improved. There have been occasions when comments have become overemphatic or sarcastic to the point of obnoxiousness, but no forum is perfect. People arenít perfect. For the most part, this forum now provides the opportunity to discuss U2, share information, and disagree without incivility. I appreciate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last post by very good on October 22, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »
This forum took a massive hit when posts were stopped. I look and post on two other sites now but would much rather have this one back when it was in full flow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10