Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Have U2 run out if ideas?
« Last post by Bundang Dave on Today at 04:54:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Actually, SOE is just a rehash of SOI. Have you noticed that the titles of both albums begin with "Songs of.."?

Not only that, but they're both a rip off of William Blake.

Out of ideas, indeed.

Creating two albums inspired by the art of William Blake is a great idea. There are some references to the poems of William Blake but this is far from being a rip off. William Blake is using bridges to connect Songs of Innocence with Songs of Experience and this is what U2 is also trying to do. If you really think that this means running out of ideas, you are just missing the point.

Well then maybe I don't really think that.   ; )
News and Rumors / Re: New Video for GOOYOW
« Last post by MattD on Today at 04:42:17 PM »
Surprised Matt McGee allowed this thread to be honest, considering it criticises his hero Trump!

I’ve seen a lot of U2 ‘fans’ disowning them and saying they are finished for slating ‘my’ president. But being brutally honest, how can they call themselves U2 fans? This is a band that has always been very liberal from a political perspective, and thankfully so, so how many more right wing fans of the band didn’t get this is hilarious in showing up their idiocy.

Good riddance I say. U2 doesn’t need fans like them.

I think the shot at Matt was unnecessary.  I appreciate that he runs this site.  That said, as a fellow American, I've observed that this President has a particularly polarizing effect on Americans.  For about 40% of the country, they feel he is as authentic to their beliefs as could be possible in a politician of that rank.  For another 40%, he stands for everything they revile in American history.  The other 20% (who are somehow undecided) is probably who will decide if he gets re-elected in 3 years....

Not really, it was all very dictatorial and pathetically narrow minded from the mods on here. The inability to discuss politics, and the hysterical reaction to crude but ultimately inoffensive language is positively laughed upon by the other U2 forum, Interference. I mean, if they think a U2 forum is not the place to challenge a rabid racist, sexist, alpha male impotent old man who fancies his daughter, then the mods are a disgrace to the U2 fanbase, and the ultimate ethos of the band. It goes against everything the band stands for. I could understand if this was a Justin Bieber forum for the easily offended, but U2, when they've pushed boundaries, have often been provocative. It is thus the job of a forum to do exactly that - to challenge dangerous notions and assumptions head on, like they have done in their songs.

The release of this new U2 video must have them in a tailspin.
« Last post by pan360 on Today at 03:19:46 PM »
Actually, SOE is just a rehash of SOI. Have you noticed that the titles of both albums begin with "Songs of.."?

Not only that, but they're both a rip off of William Blake.

Out of ideas, indeed.

Creating two albums inspired by the art of William Blake is a great idea. There are some references to the poems of William Blake but this is far from being a rip off. William Blake is using bridges to connect Songs of Innocence with Songs of Experience and this is what U2 is also trying to do. If you really think that this means running out of ideas, you are just missing the point.
« Last post by suitoflights on Today at 01:59:22 PM »
There's a similar relationship between Zooropa and Achtung Baby, yet it's a completely original piece of work.
« Last post by Asteroid41 on Today at 01:54:23 PM »
Surprised Matt McGee allowed this thread to be honest, considering it criticises his hero Trump!

I’ve seen a lot of U2 ‘fans’ disowning them and saying they are finished for slating ‘my’ president. But being brutally honest, how can they call themselves U2 fans? This is a band that has always been very liberal from a political perspective, and thankfully so, so how many more right wing fans of the band didn’t get this is hilarious in showing up their idiocy.

Good riddance I say. U2 doesn’t need fans like them.

I'm new on this forum and I understand we are not supposed to discuss politics but you are right. My intuition says it simply does not match. There I said it.
Fun and Games / Re: A-Z U2 songs
« Last post by kevtn43 on Today at 01:29:58 PM »
Fez-being born fire
General U2 Discussion / Edge's Beanie Brand??
« Last post by redflagday on Today at 01:04:59 PM »
So I've been scouring the internet for awhile now trying to figure out what brand(s) Edge's beanies are. Does anyone know or have any clues about how to find out? My goal is to buy one that is the same (or very similar) to what he wears for my dad's birthday (he's a superfan and is always talking about how much he likes Edge's hats). Thanks in advance!! :-)
« Last post by dwaltman on Today at 12:48:35 PM »
I was under the impression that Bono wrote the lyrics to his children (or subset thereof).  So the stark KKK/Trump stuff was a surprise, even with the democracy starting to crack line.  I believe Trump is a racist and I think it needs to be pointed out at every instance but I just didn't quite get it with this song.  I don't need or want this song to be political.  In fact, the sentiment of the song rang true with me and my own son.  So, I will continue have those feelings with this song and not a political statement.

With that said, I think the creative process used in this video (and American Soul) by Broken Fingaz is amazing.  To cut out all those small pieces and use stop motion animation in the way they did is really cool.  It must have been very tedious.  I would love to learn more about the process and how many hours it took to complete each step.
General U2 Discussion / Re: Will the band do Landlady live?
« Last post by dwaltman on Today at 12:37:44 PM »
I love the closing as well, but I think the only time it will be played is when Ali is in the house. 
General U2 Discussion / Re: No Glasgow dates
« Last post by Honky Tonk Angel on Today at 11:54:55 AM »
i dont expect them to play Scotland this time. The one tiny glimmer of hope might be that in 2001 after playing 4 nights at Earls Court in London, they added 2 Glasgow shows with only a weeks notice.

I remember that. When the dates were released there was no Scottish date, so we went for Slane Castle. Secured our tickets, then they announced the shows in Glasgow.  They were playing the SECC the night we arrived back from Dublin.
So angry they have missed out Scotland. This is the first time they have done that, apart from the last JT tour. I just posted on another topic the same thing about not even bothering to try and get tickets this time around.
We spent a fortune to got to the JT in Dublin and we're just not prepared to fork out another fortune to travel so far again.
This will be the first tour we have missed and it's a bit gutting.
There is a small window at the Hydro at the beginning of November I think, so maybe....?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10