Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
News and Rumors / Re: Article on technical aspects of the tour.
« Last post by GoldenStateGirl on October 22, 2018, 01:55:13 PM »
I think GOOYOW is a natural replacement for the tired (sorry) BD.

I will gladly hear Breathe any day any time any where.
General U2 Discussion / Re: Are u2 forums dying a death?
« Last post by GoldenStateGirl on October 22, 2018, 01:48:15 PM »
I agree that modern social media is helping kill the forum/message board format of yore.  Over the years I've seen traffic decline on many boards that were white-hot back in the early 2000s.  Some don't even exist anymore and the word is the traffic moved to reddit, FB, etc.

I am 46 and have long frequented forums because I love reading without the clutter of photos and ads and silly quizzes.  I don't want to "friend" a slew of people with whom I share interests but would never befriend in real life.  I don't use facebook or twitter (love IG though).

LOL at "every flutter of Bono's eyelashes".  I still love him to pieces...but he remains fresh, young, and beautiful on all the IG fan accounts I follow.  His aging face is just a reflection of where I am now too, and that can be hard to confront.  Love him anyway!  And his eyelashes!
General U2 Discussion / Re: Is the sound of concerts too loud?
« Last post by Tortuga on October 22, 2018, 01:37:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What is your evidence that there is nothing wrong? If it's just your experience, how does your experience trump others'?

Sound varies widely by location in the arena, not to mention by performance (otherwise they wouldn't need to do sound checks every time).

It sounded ok to me in my seat on my date but I'm not going to dismiss a thread full of people who obviously didn't share my experience.

I know what its like to listen to these shows without professional musicians ear plugs and with professional musicians ear plugs. I started having problems with sound levels back in 2002-2003. Most likely this is do to the persons age and hearing, or exposure to prior heavy sound levels.

The fact that the majority of the people attending these shows enjoyed it and never felt the need to leave shows, its likely individuals with hearing issues and not U2's sound team.

1. As I said before, no one should be going to these shows without ear plugs, prefereably musicians ear plugs. Even people who feel they don't need them(the majority unforutnately) should wear them.

2. As U2 fans get older and more of them don't wear hearing protection, the number of people complaining about the sound will increase. A certain percentage of the crowd already has hearing issues that they did not 10 years ago and this will impact how they hear the concert.

3. We already have 30% to 40% of the crowd at most of those shows sitting down now when NO one would be sitting 7 or 8 years ago. Age related issues probably influence that. Guess what, age impacts hearing to. Joe and the sound team are probably the best in the industry. The quality of their work has not changed. But fans are older now and certain percentage of them are going through hearing changes.

To some up, if it was too loud, or you thought the sound was bad at a U2 show, its far more likely to be do to your hearing or the fact that you did not wear ear plugs than it is to U2 and their soundteam. The band and Joe can't force you to wear ear plugs, but you should. They do. The band and Joe can't adjust the sound and sound level for the smaller percentage of the crowd that has had changes in their hearing.

That does not mean U2 and Joe are perfect, they are not. But all of these concerts from the first tour to the latest have always been played at sound levels where everyone in the audience should be wearing ear plugs. People who are younger are less likely to notice the impact of high sound levels. As you get older, those symptoms become more pronounced. The U2 fan base, in the United States at least, is in the 40 to 55 age group mostly. Its not that U2 and Joe lost their ability somehow, its that your not 22 anymore and should have been wearing ear plugs at concerts since you were 22.

If EVERYONE needs to wear earplugs then the volume is too loud. Period.  What is the point of spending tons of money to crank up the sound so EVERYONE, not just people with already damaged hearing, has to wear “professional musicians earplugs”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Music and Lyrics / Re: No Line on the Horizon: Retrospective
« Last post by GoldenStateGirl on October 22, 2018, 01:31:06 PM »
Magnificent is in my top 10 favorite U2 tracks.  It has that "U2 sound" that elevates the listener.
Breathe....so much meaning for me.  "I found grace inside a sound" LOVE
COL.  It's not like other U2 songs.  It feels like jazz.

This is a tough album to pick just 3.
General U2 Discussion / Re: Are u2 forums dying a death?
« Last post by podiumboy on October 22, 2018, 12:22:18 PM »
It’s not just a U2 thing.  Many bands that I have followed for years used to have very active message forums, and now many don’t have forums at all!  Now it seems like a band just posts on twitter or Facebook what they’re up to, and fans just comment below.  Usually very pedestrian type comments like “omg play With Or Without You” or “why don’t you come to (insert country/state/City here)”?  I will miss discussing my favorite band with other fans when these forums finally do die out.  I love the speculating that goes on between albums, then discussing and dissecting the new albums/concerts.  It adds a fun dimension to being a fan that a lot of people don’t experience.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience
« Last post by miryclay on October 22, 2018, 11:42:04 AM »
The Music and Lyrics / Re: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb: Retrospective
« Last post by GoldenStateGirl on October 22, 2018, 11:40:47 AM »
I loved it then and I love it to this day.  It is commercial and accessible; make of that what you will.

Top 3 tracks for me:
Sometimes
COBL
Crumbs

Very very emotional album for me.  The tour I saw with my younger son in my belly.  The last album before my older son's autism diagnosis.  The end of my innocence, if you will.
« Last post by GoldenStateGirl on October 22, 2018, 11:31:04 AM »
That is interesting and I've never heard of the song.

I don't know if you know that Songs of Innocence and Experience is a collection of poems by William Blake, and our man has had a bee in his bonnet to do this project for decades. Honestly though this predates the first I had heard of his desire to do it, in the early 90s.

<Commits to using "bee in [his] bonnet" more often>

When my middle school aged son chose a William Blake poem (The Tiger/Tyger) to memorize for school last spring, my U2 loving and English Lit degree having heart nearly burst.  We rehearsed the heck out of that thing together.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Smile
« Last post by rockatansky on October 22, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »
I never really thought about it before, but I find the process of a song getting its claws into me somewhat painful, and it seems that is not typical perhaps.

I think most people get a song in their head from time to time, even to an annoying degree, but for me, it's 24-7. Yes, even when I'm sleeping. It never ends.

If my brain is playing a song I know very well, it's a bit more comfortable. It's quieter, I can ignore it better, more of the song will play instead of just a line or two.

A new song my brain wants to learn, lordamercy.

Hence the arghhhh.

Well put, I can definitely relate. I live, breathe, and dream songs constantly.  As you say, 24/7. I have a YouTube page where I use as a place to keep those new songs (or even older) in order so that I can continuously listen to them, figure them out.  I've also got a ton of internet browser bookmarks.  I'm compulsive about it.  And at times it is painful but the reward is so great.  The U2 catalogue is like a gem to me.  The more I study, the more is revealed to me. I think I'd be lost otherwise.
« Last post by rockatansky on October 22, 2018, 10:49:06 AM »
It was recorded in 1987 but it was released in 2007 with the Joshua Tree first remastered.

"Songs of Innocence and Experience" is a title album that was floating around since then. "Achtung Baby", "Zooropa" and "Pop" were all entitled that way during their working process...

Awesome, that further explains things!  So much to learn from a band that I thought I was intimately familiar with for close to 40 yrs.  Excellent!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10