Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience
« Last post by rockatansky on October 22, 2018, 10:45:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That is interesting and I've never heard of the song.

I don't know if you know that Songs of Innocence and Experience is a collection of poems by William Blake, and our man has had a bee in his bonnet to do this project for decades. Honestly though this predates the first I had heard of his desire to do it, in the early 90s.

I didn't know that about SOI and SOE but now it gives me a better history.  I like the William Blake connection.  I can't believe all the things I don't know about my favorite band for close to 40yrs. now.  The depth of U2 is amazing.  Thanks for pointing out this stuff to me!
« Last post by BONO31 on October 22, 2018, 10:32:23 AM »
It was recorded in 1987 but it was released in 2007 with the Joshua Tree first remastered.

"Songs of Innocence and Experience" is a title album that was floating around since then. "Achtung Baby", "Zooropa" and "Pop" were all entitled that way during their working process...
News and Rumors / Re: Article on technical aspects of the tour.
« Last post by BONO31 on October 22, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »
« Dirty Day » to replace « Beautiful Day » 😀
No, I’m kidding, of course. I was thinking about « Magnificent ».
« Peace on Earth » or « do you feel loved » could replace « Pride »
and « Please » replace « One »
it ends with the lyric « Love is BIG, it’s BIGGER than us, but love is not what you’re thinking of » just before the song « Love is bigger than anything in its way », it would be
perfect.
What if they play « oh Berlin » in Berlin?
Wow, I was kidding about "Dirty Day" instead of "Beautiful Day"! Now, U2place had just reported the band played "Dirty Day" during rehearsals in Lisbon and Manchester.  ;D
« Last post by laoghaire on October 22, 2018, 08:41:45 AM »
That is interesting and I've never heard of the song.

I don't know if you know that Songs of Innocence and Experience is a collection of poems by William Blake, and our man has had a bee in his bonnet to do this project for decades. Honestly though this predates the first I had heard of his desire to do it, in the early 90s.
Tours / Re: Experience + Innocence Tour - Manchester Arena, 20/10/18 (Review)
« Last post by laoghaire on October 22, 2018, 08:36:22 AM »
GA is a great deal because it's a gift to the fans.

Fans pay it back to the band in energy. It's a good system.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Smile
« Last post by laoghaire on October 22, 2018, 08:32:46 AM »
I never really thought about it before, but I find the process of a song getting its claws into me somewhat painful, and it seems that is not typical perhaps.

I think most people get a song in their head from time to time, even to an annoying degree, but for me, it's 24-7. Yes, even when I'm sleeping. It never ends.

If my brain is playing a song I know very well, it's a bit more comfortable. It's quieter, I can ignore it better, more of the song will play instead of just a line or two.

A new song my brain wants to learn, lordamercy.

Hence the arghhhh.
« Last post by Gavin82 on October 22, 2018, 08:12:34 AM »
I was over looking RZ from Block 215 cant believe the norm GA was in front & RZ was at the back of the GA would have been gutted if id brought RZ GA was £79ish RZ over £200..!!!!
The Music and Lyrics / Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience
« Last post by rockatansky on October 22, 2018, 08:09:47 AM »
I was going through the track list for "Medium, Rare & Remastered" which was released in 2009.  There is a track called "Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience".  It says on the Wiki page that the track was part of the Joshua Tree sessions.

So, what's up with this besides my most probably sheer ignorance? How could a song that was part of the Joshua Tree Sessions have a title with Songs Of Experience in it?  Or was that added later?

I found this on @U2:

"Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience"

"'Beautiful Ghost' was a song that started out as an experimental demo which we finished later, recorded in STS studios with Paul Barrett, in what is now known as the Temple Bar district of Dublin city. It's always interesting to hear where we started from, and then to hear where we ended up. This and other early demos show how much of the musical identity of the final record came into focus along the way." - The Edge, The Joshua Tree 2007

HEAR the voice of the Bard
Who present, past, and future, sees
Whose ears have heard
The Holy Word
That walk'd among the ancient trees

Calling the lapsed soul
And weeping in the evening dew
That might control
The starry pole
And fallen, fallen light renew

O Earth, O Earth, return
Arise from out the dewy grass
Night is worn
And the morn
Rises from the slumbrous mass

Turn away no more
Why wilt thou turn away
The starry floor
The watery shore
Is given thee till the break of day
Till the break of day
Till the break of day
Till the break of day

(The lyrics to this song are taken from the poem "Hear the Voice of the Bard" by William Blake)

It says The Edge, The Joshua Tree 2007.  What's with the date?  And why is the track on a release that came out in 2009?

Sorry if I missed something that is obvious or if this has been discussed before.  Just seems intriguing to me.

The Music and Lyrics / Re: Smile
« Last post by rockatansky on October 22, 2018, 06:42:46 AM »
Keep in mind that this is an outtake that they decided to release, not a fully produced song. If the lyrics aren’t completely coherent, it’s probably because they’re not finished.

Another new tidbit, thanks for that!  Listening again to it this morning, I got the feeling the song should have carried on further.  It does tend to seem to be "not fulling finished", like the band wanted to develop it further.  But as the lyrics go and theme of the song go, I still believe what laoghaire and I discussed - Faith, God, the devil.  At least that looks like the path they were going with the song. Maybe it could have morphed into something else due to it not being fully finished, as you noted. 
« Last post by Dreamweave on October 22, 2018, 06:39:34 AM »
Great review. We had red zone tickets and it took an hour and a half to get into the venue. The security staff didn't have a clue. We queued in the red zone area to get in only to be told by one of the security staff that we had to go and get our tickets from the general box office. 45 minute's later we were directed right back to where we were lined up to a table in the corner with no signs saying this is where you collected your tickets from. Was also very disappointed that the red zone bar shut at 8pm.

Its the first time we have ever been in the red zone and to be honest it was a complete waste of money and really took the edge and excitement out of the beginning of the night and was replaced by frustration. We may as well bought general admission tickets as there was no real VIP experience as advertised. Aside from that we enjoyed the concert, especially when the edge performed on a platform right next to me, I couldn't believe my luck!! Love is bigger than anything in its way was for me the best song of the night. Loved the cage screen and really think it worked well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10