Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Smile
« Last post by rockatansky on October 22, 2018, 06:35:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Arghhh. This song. Arghhh.

I know.  The song is frustrating to me too, even though I like it.  But I still believe what we talked about regarding the songs meaning is correct.  I see the theme of Faith, God, and the devil.  It seems clear to me what he is saying. 

I was responding to that Carmody reference to writing the lyrics that BONO31 brought up.  I didn't know that and the relationship to Gavin Friday.  I'm not sure about the political reference but appreciate BONO31 bringing up another idea.

But I still believe we nailed it on the songs meaning.
Tours / Re: Suddenly itís getting REALLY good!
« Last post by TongueInMyEar on October 22, 2018, 06:35:13 AM »
Was at Manchester 1, have to say that's my favourite U2 gig yet. Saw Vertigo and I&E in Glasgow, and JT30 in Berlin previously.

Set loaded with SOE and Achtung Baby just works for me. Probably the most I've felt the band were really into it too. Leaving out JT material I think gave more weight to One and Pride which were both excellent, the 4 song run of Zoo Station, Stay, WGRYWH and The Fly had me delirious.
I thought all of the SOE songs worked well live, particularly Love Is Bigger which was made for arenas. Even an old staple like New Year's Day sounded fresh. I'm looking at the setlist and genuinely can't pick a bad part of the gig. Will remember that one for a long time.
General Music Discussion / Re: the 5 songs rocking your world right now
« Last post by TongueInMyEar on October 22, 2018, 05:58:03 AM »
Bassackwards - Kurt Vile
Perfect Day - Lou Reed
Some Things Last A Long Time - Daniel Johnston
Comeback Story - Kings Of Leon
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - U2
News and Rumors / Re: "I assume thereíll be another album" Larry Mullen says
« Last post by Gavin82 on October 22, 2018, 05:23:22 AM »
In todays Sun paper yeah i know its not the best paper BUT there a write up on Fridays show & an interview they do with Simon Boyle hes was backstage with the boys page 20 & 21it says the band have no plans too stop rocking the boat on the road just yet it goes on but the rest is more about the screen & there Holidays etc
News and Rumors / Re: "I assume thereíll be another album" Larry Mullen says
« Last post by Karmamalaga on October 22, 2018, 04:56:51 AM »
 Songs Of Ascent seems like a likely title for a next album, one which may very well already have been written, if not yet recorded: a little bit like Rattle And Hum. The logo (including the stage) of the iE/eI-tour does not include the letter A. Ascent - at least to me - sounds nothing like descent, i.e. (yes, pun intended) that they are actually far from changing career paths. Zooropa did not need a change of stage, it was the Zoo-TV-Tour.

After such scenario - Songs Of Ascent in 2019 followed perhaps by a kind of Lovetown-like mini tour (Asia?) -  they may take a long pause, but for inspiration, that is. Bono isn't likely going to suddenly stop being inspired in writing, on the contrary: his probem would be to stop writing about current events since the latter change so quickly nowadays and rather write general, ambiguous / mysterious lyrics that anyone can relate to personally or just disregard (Elvis Presly And America's lyrics comes to mind) or prompt one to say "whatever he wants to say, the music is awesome!".

NB: In another recent thread about forums like this one shrinking in activity due to age of fan base etc, I would like to say that that was the reason for my second post today, but also, that I had several calls to attend prior to posting this message. Cheers to you all and U2!

Tours / Re: Should we sit down during the show?
« Last post by briscoetheque on October 22, 2018, 03:06:29 AM »
Theirs plenty of reasons two stand. I can't of thought of them all.
General U2 Discussion / Re: Are u2 forums dying a death?
« Last post by ian ryan on October 21, 2018, 11:56:34 PM »
A few things: a big part of why itís quiet is because the band donít give us as much to talk about anymore. You can only rehash the past so much before everything that needs to be said has been said.

I also think there has been a fracturing/diversification of modes of communication. For good or for ill, message boards are old. Theyíre not necessarily how people communicate or gather as they were in the past.

Lastly, for the folks who think Atu2/the message boards here shot ourselves in the foot by shutting down for a few months: the folks that didnít come back were people who talked a lot, but a lot of what they said was s#!t talking. Please donít equate the volume of drama with the volume of worthwhile conversation. I was a relatively new mod then, and still the amouint of stuff that was being dealt with behind the scenes was absurd. If these boards didnít come back like this, they wouldnít have come back at all. It is what it is, and Iíd much rather have it as it is now than not have it at all.
« Last post by ian ryan on October 21, 2018, 11:45:41 PM »
Keep in mind that this is an outtake that they decided to release, not a fully produced song. If the lyrics arenít completely coherent, itís probably because theyíre not finished.
« Last post by laoghaire on October 21, 2018, 08:58:17 PM »
Arghhh. This song. Arghhh.
General U2 Discussion / Re: How should U2 end it all?
« Last post by ToRontoRon on October 21, 2018, 08:47:38 PM »
What a ridiculous debate this thread has turned into.

The only thing I wanted to explore is how the band should go out.  As I stated in my OP, The Tragically Hip had a perfect ending, and it was because there was a definitive end, (unfortunately brought about through illness), but an ending nonetheless.  Whether that ending is at the age of 65, 85, or 105, I want them to go out while they still have it.

If the idea of a rock band calling it quits at 65 is insulting for whatever reason, wons, then when should they call it quits before they become a shell of what they once were?

Surely you can agree that at some point in time your skills will diminish.  That's not called ageism, that's called reality.  That's called being human.

If you're happy with them continuing to go on past the point where their skills begin to diminish, then that's great.  That's your opinion.  I have a different opinion.  I want them to go out while they're still great, and basically able to do what they've always done.

If you honestly think that anyone who wants U2 to quit before they turn into a crap band is not a true fan, then you're definitely not someone I want to bother wasting my time arguing with.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10