Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
General U2 Discussion / Re: Will the band do Landlady live?
« Last post by flowtheman on Today at 12:12:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The end verse of Landlady is also my favorite part of the song.

I totally agree with that!
I can imagine it being played occasionally, but I see it played maybe as a piano-version, only Edge and Bono on the e-stage.
News and Rumors / Re: New Video for GOOYOW
« Last post by clydefrog on Today at 12:06:14 AM »
As a strong conservative and Trump supporter the band being very liberal doesn't offend me or turn me off from them.

Their politics doesn't affect me buying tickets or new albums. I'm still the same fan I was when I first started liking them when I was 11 years old.

My 2nd favorite band: Green Day: are a little different when talking about politics. At their shows it's more like "f*** trump" every time BJ talks and that is a little annoying but still I am not going to not be a fan of theirs.

I don't see why you have to bash to degrade someone just for having a different viewpoint or perspective than you have. That's what makes this world and this country (USA) great. The ability to not get persecuted for your belief.
New Member Introductions / Re: Is This Thing On?
« Last post by singnomore on January 19, 2018, 11:48:17 PM »
Iím still waiting on my champagne too  ;D
General U2 Discussion / Re: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Last post by canucklehead on January 19, 2018, 11:40:29 PM »
My controversial thought is ....

I'd really love it if U2 played Window in the Skies, Ordinary Love, and Electrical Storm at any show ... very underrated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So would I , and  may I add who's gonna ride your wild horses and magnificent.
Tours / Re: Pre-sale disgrace in europe
« Last post by Peter Parker on January 19, 2018, 11:29:39 PM »
Im not gonna renew!
New Member Introductions / Re: Is This Thing On?
« Last post by Joe90usa on January 19, 2018, 11:10:35 PM »
I would raise that issue, Droo. Check your contract.  ;)
Tours / Re: Pre-sale disgrace in europe
« Last post by Danny82 on January 19, 2018, 10:47:09 PM »
Were those who got standing tix in the experience group? Despite being a member for years but not always subscribing yet have done the past two years I am stuck in innocence hell!

Iím in the innocense group but have GA tickets for Amsterdam. Guess I was lucky
The Music and Lyrics / Re: SOE As Performance Art
« Last post by Manos73 on January 19, 2018, 10:24:20 PM »
Like each of us on this forum, you are entitled to your opinion. But I can't help but notice that you seem to be on a crusade to disparage this album. I have noticed this in many posts, some of which you started yourself. The Metacritic post is a case in point. Who cares what an arbitrary aggregate of critic reviews rated SOE?  For such a terrible album, you are spending an awful lot of time and energy incessantly opining about it!

I, for one, love the album and it seems I am with the firm majority here.

I thought this was a cute way of pointing out the distance the band has traveled over the years using the language that U2 used to use. Macphisto, The Fly. . .  U2 used to be able to laugh at themselves more. The 90's Bono would be shocked, I suspect, of the modern band.
General U2 Discussion / Re: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Last post by Luzita on January 19, 2018, 10:20:12 PM »

Feeling that Zooropa and *especially* Pop are U2's worst albums is not a controversial thought at all, it's completely mainstream. Certain posters will push back against the idea like it's some sort of heresy, but they are no more than a vocal and (how shall I put this) somewhat obsessed minority.

What do you base this on? Pop received rave reviews in my country (Denmark) when it came out and all the U2 lovers that I know rate it very highly in U2's catalogue. If I should make generalisations based on my own experience its that most people think U2 were great in the 80's and 90's and have steadily declined since then by putting out safe and more or less boring music. I also feel that the album is perceived very differently in EU and the US.

I base it mainly on sales figures, which are the most objective measure of an album's popularity. Much of what you're saying has been said before on this forum, like a lot. The idea that U2 have steadily declined since 2000. The idea that Pop is well regarded in Europe and it's really only America that disliked it.

So I'm going to repost an old post of mine that looks at your last assertion in light of the sales figures.

The discussion of Pop popularity in Europe vs. the U.S. is interesting. (Also an interesting question for other U2 albums.) Nerd that I am, Iíd like to examine that issue through sales statistics Ė though let me *emphasize* this can only provide insight on relative popularity of albums, not on relative quality, which is a subjective judgment.  This site You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login breaks down sales figures by country and region.

The site seems to do a really careful analysis, but the trouble is itís unclear which countries are included in their Europe figure. It includes more than the European countries they list individually. It would be nice to know the total population of their ďEuropeĒ because then we could take that into account vs. U.S. population and that would give a better sense of relative popularity. I canít find the exact countries theyíre including, but elsewhere they mention places like Russia and Poland that are at a different income level so it wouldnít be apples to apples anyway. So Iím just going to show album sales totals for Europe vs. U.S. and that should provide a rough popularity comparison.

Album      Europe      U.S.
Boy      1,460,000   1,600,000
October   1,490,000   1,475,000
War      4,200,000   5,000,000
TUF      3,000,000   3,600,000
Joshua Tree   9,150,000   12,400,000
Achtung Baby   5,730,000   8,700,000
Zooropa   3,060,000   2,700,000
Pop      2,830,000   1,800,000
ATYCLB      4,790,000   4,650,000
HTDAAB   4,190,000   3,500,000
NLOTH      2,010,000   1,400,000

So, people who have been saying Pop was more popular in Europe than the U.S. are right.

However, looking just at Europe, only three U2 albums were less popular than Pop, and two of them are from early in U2ís career when the band was much less well known.

We should also note that Pop was a platinum album in the U.S., almost double platinum, which isnít shabby except by U2 standards.

The above discussion is mostly about Pop in Europe vs. America, but these sales figures also address your assertion that "most people think U2 were great in the 80's and 90's and have steadily declined since then." Although there is a segment of the fandom that feels that way, it isn't "most people" or ATYCLB and HTDAAB wouldn't have sold so much more than Zooropa and Pop. I would add that though I only listed Europe/U.S. sales above, global sales figures follow the same pattern.

In addition, I know a lot of people who dislike Pop, but I realize that's weak evidence, just like you saying all the U2 lovers you know rate it highly. So I did a little searching online to see if I could find any polls or surveys that would provide a larger sample of opinion than the "people I know" variety. (Though probably none of these is truly representative.)

This article You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is a 2014 Rolling Stones reader's poll ranking the 10 top U2 albums. It came out just before SOI so there were 12 studio albums. Pop was ranked 9th.

This site You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is an album ranking aggregator. It includes critic rankings but the great majority of charts come from members so it's mostly music fan opinion. According to their database, Pop ranks 11th out of 14 (and I think SOE is still too new to be properly ranked).

Ranker You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login has Pop at 11th out of 14, based on 768 voters. (Same caveat on SOE.)

Oooo, this is interesting. Didn't realize this site conducts fan surveys. The last one was in 2016. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It didn't include an album ranking but did include questions about favorite and least favorite U2 albums. 3.00% listed Pop as their favorite album. 9.08% listed Pop as their least favorite. Fascinating! Even on *this* site, which has a high concentration of Pop lovers, there are more people who rank it lowest than people who rank it highest.

Let me emphasize I didn't go looking for sites that rated Pop low. This is just what I found -- what I was able to search out fairly easily as far as surveys of fan opinion. When considering the rankings, keep in mind we know there is a certain group that ranks Pop near the top. So for it to be ranked low overall means a larger group of people must rank it at or near the bottom.

Let me also REALLY emphasize that there's nothing wrong with having a minority opinion. Music appreciation is subjective. All opinions are valid.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: U2 on Metacritic
« Last post by Manos73 on January 19, 2018, 10:02:34 PM »
So let me get this straight: SOE is rated low according to an arbitrary aggregate of critical reviews??  And this is somehow supposed to matter?  Fans will make up our own minds about the album.
It's not arbitrary, it's an average. An average that shows a downward linear trend. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10