Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Tours / Re: Pre-sale disgrace in europe
« Last post by larrys pants on January 19, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »
Disgusted with this process, no standing tickets anywhere in Europe, a clear ploy to sell all the seats to us then punt the standing ones on general sale as they know the general public will buy them over expensive seats! An absolute disgrace and if u2 are aware of this then I have spent my last penny on them.
Tours / Re: Pre-sale disgrace in europe
« Last post by Gavin82 on January 19, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »
You think thats bad at least we dont have this VERIFIED FANS thing...!!!!! All pre sales are very limited in tixs while i argee you pay this U2 fans club & dont even get a tix ive seen it loads last day or so on socials etc.
Better luck for the main sales mate
News and Rumors / Re: Bono on a barge at Grammys? Or full band?
« Last post by 73October on January 19, 2018, 11:12:21 AM »
It's like the Gloria video all over again, only in NYC this time!
General U2 Discussion / Re: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Last post by lightmyway92 on January 19, 2018, 11:10:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My most controversial thought on U2 is probably that Zooropa and Pop are their worst albums.  Yes, I truly think that Zooropa and Pop are their worst albums.  Zooropa sounds way too hastily put together.  I'm not bashing the fact that they're experimental--AB, in my humble opinion, is their best album, and that one does experimentalism the right way IMO.  Zooropa and Pop, however, honestly sound to me like they were thrown together (I know they put effort into these, but it really doesn't sound that way.)

Instead, I would have preferred it if they released the 9 non-AB remixes on AB Deluxe as a separate album, perhaps with Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill me or another separately-released song.  Those AB B-sides and unreleased are of a much higher quality than Zooropa and Pop.  Not higher quality than AB, but an AB companion album (rather than simply a second disk, which undermines the greatness of these songs) that has Satellite, LWTSH, Salome, Blow Your House Down, Alex Descends Into Hell, Night and Day, etc., would be a dream.  It's a pity these songs aren't better known, and I think that's because they don't stand on their own as a separate album.  IMO, every (yes, every) non-AB song on the second disk of AB Deluxe is leagues ahead of anything on Pop and Zooropa.
That's really only a controversial opinion on fan forums like this one.  It's pretty common among the general public.  I've always like Zooropa, though, for what is:  a very creative, entertaining set of songs.  I wouldn't consider the album as a whole to be classic U2, aside from a few songs, but it's fun to listen to once in a while.  I tend to think of it as a companion piece to Achtung Baby that the band spontaneously recorded and released, and not as a major album release, like Pop.

Which brings me to my feeling about Pop :)  You'll find that on this forum, Pop is a hotly-debated and very polarizing album.  A small cult, for lack of a better word, has actually developed around that album.  When it was first released in '97, I had extremely high (probably unrealistic) expectations for it.  Achtung Baby was almost a life-changing album for me.  I wanted another AB, didn't get it, and was very disappointed.  I was also turned off by the title of the album and the whole presentation that U2 put forth at that time. I listened to it a lot at first and got to like a handful of the songs, but then I lost interest.  A couple months later, when the tour started, i saw a picture, in Rolling Stone I believe, of Bono wearing that god-awful muscle shirt.  I will never forget the sinking feeling I had.  I was genuinely concerned that the band I had loved since War had jumped the shark.

I was overjoyed to find out that wasn't the case when All that You Can't Leave Behind was released a few years later.  Since '97 I've been able to enjoy more of Pop than I did back then, but it will probably always be my least favorite U2 album.  It just strays too far away from what I want from U2.
Tours / Pre-sale disgrace in europe
« Last post by narroo on January 19, 2018, 10:25:50 AM »
Hi all you die-hards i hope you had better luck than me getting tickets abroad!

As a fan for over 35 years i have travelled around to see U2 in wonderful places around europe and america, mixing and meeting new people and experiencing the magic of 'family' that U2 bring, im not religious in the slightest but there always seems to be a pilgrimage of some proportions of people from all around who love to travel to see the band, im one of them.

Now to my disgust the pre-sales for europe were limited to seats in limited parts of the arena, specifically i was looking at Milan or Copenhagen both had no standing tickets available for pre-sale (experience) but now on Viagogo there are standing tickets?!? and not only that, they are 261 each!! bare in mind i got a standing ticket for London for 83.50 including all the dodgy add on fees. How can this be? any ideas? i have been a fan club member for over 10 years with the pre-sale being my main part of renewal even when i know they won't be touring, its the main attraction! i fear that this will kill off the fans that have built up the family and all that will be left is part-timers! any thoughts or reasons behind this please feel free to chat or help

any similar experiences pass them on to the fan club (U2.com) after all they are there for US not the band!!!
Tours / Re: Europe dates confirmed
« Last post by mc on January 19, 2018, 09:31:02 AM »
Got 70 seated at O2 at 2:30pm today with Innocence group code so must be plenty available. Glad I did not have to rely on the pre-ordered CD purchase as both my CD and code never turned up.
Note the O2 site does not work with an I-phone. Laptop only otherwise the select ticket button just freezes...

« Last post by Gavin82 on January 19, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
There is nothing listed @ 02 from 24th Oct untill 2/3rd Nov thats a 10 day gap     You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If the MEN adds dates its going too be before the show already listed as its free from 6th Oct where as its booked on the Sunday after the Friday show   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
]
« Last post by jules on January 19, 2018, 08:29:10 AM »
Indeed. Setting up the stage and everything costs an enormous amount of money. Keeping the stage for another night cost much less... so the more consecutive shows they can do the better in terms of profitability.
In simple terms most cities will defo get at least 2 shows.
« Last post by trainfanjacob8 on January 19, 2018, 07:18:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does any think they'll be more European gigs announced? Really don't wanna pay 200+ for a ticket.  Very odd to have one London gig and no Glasgow gig! Hoping there's a chance of another London gig, but I'm doubtful.

Yes, I can guarantee they will add more dates.  I've hearing some pretty strong rumours that all European shows will get at least two nights.
For me, when the album first came out, I liked it.  Then, around 2011-2014, I went through a period where I thought it NLOTH was their second-weakest album.  Around 2015, I began to listen to the album again, and rearranged the album's track order (I don't think the album flows that well).  Now, I believe it's their strongest, or second strongest album of the 21st century.  Currently, I listen to the NLOTH in the following order:

1. Soon
2. NLOTH
3. Breathe
4. Magnificent
5. MOS
6. UC
7. Fez
8. Boots (Fish Out of Water mix)
9. Winter
10. WAS
11. COL

An excellent album IMHO.