Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Smile
« Last post by laoghaire on October 21, 2018, 07:48:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm reading something like "I need to be grounded in reality" but don't get the refrain.

Yep, getting similar thoughts.  Like he's torn apart but is seeking to get back to life and live again.  The refrain is the hardest part to decipher.  "I know love is in this soul of mine. It's not in your eyes. I don't want. I don't want to see you smile."  It's like he sees deception in the other person and is calling them out for gloating about it.  "I don't want to see you smile". 

That's the best I can do which is probably not very good.  I still like the song and glad I stumbled upon it.

Yeah, ok, kind of like Breathe. He's speaking to the devil in Breathe. Who is he speaking to in Smile?
General U2 Discussion / Re: Are u2 forums dying a death?
« Last post by Smee on October 21, 2018, 07:47:34 AM »

8. ATU2 did take a bit of hit when the forum when offline for a few months in 2017, but not much.

I beg to differ. Hence why i made this thread. atu2 forum has taken a noticeable hit, comapred to what it was like, even just over a year ago, before the temp close.
I also would challenge when you say u2 havent had a hit album to draw in new fans. SoE was the 6th biggest selling album of 2017. That was achieved on a few weeks of sales. Fair enough, it didnt shift in numbers like say Achtung Baby, but, its all relative.
General U2 Discussion / Re: Is the sound of concerts too loud?
« Last post by rockatansky on October 21, 2018, 07:33:14 AM »
What is your evidence that there is nothing wrong? If it's just your experience, how does your experience trump others'?

Sound varies widely by location in the arena, not to mention by performance (otherwise they wouldn't need to do sound checks every time).

It sounded ok to me in my seat on my date but I'm not going to dismiss a thread full of people who obviously didn't share my experience.
People who are younger are less likely to notice the impact of high sound levels. As you get older, those symptoms become more pronounced. The U2 fan base, in the United States at least, is in the 40 to 55 age group mostly. Its not that U2 and Joe lost their ability somehow, its that your not 22 anymore and should have been wearing ear plugs at concerts since you were 22.

Man, this you explained it to perfection!That's why!

Either the band members, the audio crew, or the majority of the audience, are in the age of 40, 50 or even nearly 60. So the live sound effect is targeted to people in their 40s, 50s or even 60s. Therefore the high frequency of the live concerts is set up to more than normal, to adjust and compensate the loss of sensitivity to high frequency of the most audience. Only few of the audience are the age of 20s. And therefore the younger audience there feel the high frequency too sharp, too loud, and too much.

And that perfectly answered my question... thanks, buddy.

Yeah, it's always my fellow 60 year olds that get the blame for everything...   :-[
« Last post by rockatansky on October 21, 2018, 07:20:47 AM »
Just listened.

Xanax And Wine is a rocker to me, I love the guitar.  The lyrics are good too. Atomic Bomb is name checked in the lyrics.  Cool song. I really think it could have stood a chance on a proper album. But, I say that a lot about U2 b-sides.

Flower Child didn't do a lot for me but glad to be introduced to it. It sounded like the band was trying to hard (?) to make it something that it couldn't materialize into. 

Need to get a copy of "Medium, Rare & Remastered" if it's still available.
« Last post by rockatansky on October 21, 2018, 07:01:41 AM »
I first came across Smile on the Medium, Rare & Remastered release.

There are some other good ones on there. My favourites are Xanax & Wine, and Flower Child.

Thanks for this!  I'm not familiar with either of them, so will give them a listen.
« Last post by rockatansky on October 21, 2018, 07:00:16 AM »
I'm reading something like "I need to be grounded in reality" but don't get the refrain.

Yep, getting similar thoughts.  Like he's torn apart but is seeking to get back to life and live again.  The refrain is the hardest part to decipher.  "I know love is in this soul of mine. It's not in your eyes. I don't want. I don't want to see you smile."  It's like he sees deception in the other person and is calling them out for gloating about it.  "I don't want to see you smile". 

That's the best I can do which is probably not very good.  I still like the song and glad I stumbled upon it.
General Music Discussion / Re: the 5 songs rocking your world right now
« Last post by SwimmingSorrows on October 21, 2018, 01:27:43 AM »
b****, I'm a Cow - Doja Cat
I like that this started page 69.

Arkansas Coal - Nancy & Lee
All That - Carly Rae Jepsen
T-Shirt Weather - Circa Waves
Dangerous (feat. Joywave) - Big Data
Cracklins - The Gourds
The Band / Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Last post by miryclay on October 20, 2018, 11:06:13 PM »

#macphistounfiltered
« Last post by laoghaire on October 20, 2018, 09:20:34 PM »
I meant to listen to Xanax and Wine after a period of time this summer I was washing my nightly Benedryl down with Merlot. I listened just now. It wasn't as sleepy as I expected. Bono can probably hold his Xanax and wine better than I ever could. I used my nightcap to conk out cold. It was a hard summer.

I liked Smile enough to give it another listen. Might add it to my collection.
« Last post by Bundang Dave on October 20, 2018, 08:17:22 PM »
I first came across Smile on the Medium, Rare & Remastered release.

There are some other good ones on there. My favourites are Xanax & Wine, and Flower Child.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]