Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
General U2 Discussion / Re: U2's Irish Accents -- or Lack Thereof
« Last post by ian ryan on Today at 02:19:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Edge was born in England, not Wales. And moved to Ireland as a baby.

Ah, my mistake. His parents are Welsh, that's where I got confused.
Tours / Re: What do you think the next tour will be like?
« Last post by wons on Today at 02:10:15 PM »
I see a lot of wishful thinking, but the one thing we all know for sure is Dublin 4 (and I'm going to D3 and D4 in GA, lucky me) is the final U2 show for a while and not making a prediction, but it could, *could* turn out to be the final U2 show ever. Cannot take it for granted that they will do the album/tour cycle after a year or so of time off. All it takes is one band member to decide they've had enough and that's it. No more U2.

Yep.  I don't think anybody is promising or hoping this is the end of the road for them, but every tour has a greater chance of being the LAST tour than the one before it--it doesn't matter that McCartney or the Stones are still going.  Other bands, like R.E.M., aren't.  Age wins eventually.  Enjoy them while you can.  Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Well, you could say that at any moment in the bands career. You could have said that back in 1990. R.E.M. did not stop because they could not continue. They stopped because they wanted to do other things with their life than continue with the band. It had NOTHING to do with Age. Age is just a number and declaring that someone is done or can't do something because of it is just wrong in so many ways.

Yes, you could.  And the likelihood that lack of interest/ability, serious health issues or, you know, DEATH, might actively impede a band's chance of continuing to tour only increases with age.  Age, in this scenario, isn't just a number--it's a statistic that only ever increases.  Nobody thought Tom Petty's last tour was his last at the time.  Nor Prince's.  Nor David Bowie's, and he quit touring 10 years before he left this reality.

Being age 58 does not equate to being nearly dead or elderly! You and others are engaging in AGEISM! Its a form of DISCRIMINATION engaged in by the ignorant. Tom Petty and Princes deaths involved the misuse of drugs, NOT age.

The members of U2 as seen on stage this year are in far better shape than most of their fans who are on average 10 or 15 years younger. The band stands and energetically  plays for over two hours, while thousands of their fans sit on their asses. If anyone needs a fork to be stuck in them, its not the band, but some of their fans!
« Last post by Tortuga on Today at 11:50:21 AM »
I'm not sure there will be another formal tour

Really,? Iím more shocked an admin is saying this. I think the next forma tour could be the last, but to me there is 0% chance of it not happening.

Iím a U2 as well as admin on here but just my view. Iím not convinced they guys want to go on forever thatís all. May be wrong but they will disappear for a while after this tour.

We obviously all want the band to continue. Adam said it himself, they'll be taking a long break. 4 years is a long time to take a break. You also have to understand something else,  wife's, kids, family, friends etc, need and want attention as well. And they deserve it! And the band also deserves a break.

Singnomore, didn't say that the band isn't going to continue, what they said is that they aren't sure that they'll be another formal tour. And in all honesty, as much as I'd love a new album SOON and another TOUR SOON! I tend to agree with singnomore. Let them take their well deserved break and hopefully, we'll hear a new album in 2023, and see them in concert 2024.

Till a formal announcement is made, all we're doing is speculating.

They have been doing formal tours since 1979. Why would they suddenly stop now? For this band, not having another formal tour would be such a change that it would be essentially, not continuing as a band.

Age and health may come into it. I just wonder if they will move more to the model they were trying to do with the last Joshua Tree Tour where originally it was going to be 10 shows. So thatís where I could see a change in how they tour currently.

Well, health could be a factor at any time in a persons life. But 58 is NOT old. The band have been on fire this tour and seem just as energetic when I saw them for the first time back in 1992. Once again proving that age is just a number. B.B. King was still doing 100 shows a year at age 88!

You keep referencing BB King.  You do realize BB King is an outlier, right?

Yes, anything is possible but the law of averages does apply.  I feel like U2ís chemistry is such that if one member canít go on, they will not continue as U2 with a replacement.  If so, it only takes one of the four to disrupt things.  So its not one person still touring at 88, its four.  Even less likely.

Iím not saying theyíre at the end.  Iím just saying every year that goes by there is a higher probability the next tour could be the last.

Because drumming is very physical and takes a toll, its sometimes the drummer that cries uncle first to long full blown tours.  This is what happened to Rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last post by Johnny Feathers on Today at 10:30:00 AM »
I see a lot of wishful thinking, but the one thing we all know for sure is Dublin 4 (and I'm going to D3 and D4 in GA, lucky me) is the final U2 show for a while and not making a prediction, but it could, *could* turn out to be the final U2 show ever. Cannot take it for granted that they will do the album/tour cycle after a year or so of time off. All it takes is one band member to decide they've had enough and that's it. No more U2.

Yep.  I don't think anybody is promising or hoping this is the end of the road for them, but every tour has a greater chance of being the LAST tour than the one before it--it doesn't matter that McCartney or the Stones are still going.  Other bands, like R.E.M., aren't.  Age wins eventually.  Enjoy them while you can.  Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Well, you could say that at any moment in the bands career. You could have said that back in 1990. R.E.M. did not stop because they could not continue. They stopped because they wanted to do other things with their life than continue with the band. It had NOTHING to do with Age. Age is just a number and declaring that someone is done or can't do something because of it is just wrong in so many ways.

Yes, you could.  And the likelihood that lack of interest/ability, serious health issues or, you know, DEATH, might actively impede a band's chance of continuing to tour only increases with age.  Age, in this scenario, isn't just a number--it's a statistic that only ever increases.  Nobody thought Tom Petty's last tour was his last at the time.  Nor Prince's.  Nor David Bowie's, and he quit touring 10 years before he left this reality.
« Last post by wons on Today at 10:22:25 AM »

Really,? Iím more shocked an admin is saying this. I think the next forma tour could be the last, but to me there is 0% chance of it not happening.

Iím a U2 as well as admin on here but just my view. Iím not convinced they guys want to go on forever thatís all. May be wrong but they will disappear for a while after this tour.

We obviously all want the band to continue. Adam said it himself, they'll be taking a long break. 4 years is a long time to take a break. You also have to understand something else,  wife's, kids, family, friends etc, need and want attention as well. And they deserve it! And the band also deserves a break.

Singnomore, didn't say that the band isn't going to continue, what they said is that they aren't sure that they'll be another formal tour. And in all honesty, as much as I'd love a new album SOON and another TOUR SOON! I tend to agree with singnomore. Let them take their well deserved break and hopefully, we'll hear a new album in 2023, and see them in concert 2024.

They have been doing formal tours since 1979. Why would they suddenly stop now? For this band, not having another formal tour would be such a change that it would be essentially, not continuing as a band.

Age and health may come into it. I just wonder if they will move more to the model they were trying to do with the last Joshua Tree Tour where originally it was going to be 10 shows. So thatís where I could see a change in how they tour currently.

Well, health could be a factor at any time in a persons life. But 58 is NOT old. The band have been on fire this tour and seem just as energetic when I saw them for the first time back in 1992. Once again proving that age is just a number. B.B. King was still doing 100 shows a year at age 88!
« Last post by wons on Today at 10:19:49 AM »

Age and health may come into it. I just wonder if they will move more to the model they were trying to do with the last Joshe Tree Tour where originally it was going to be 10 shows. So thatís where I could see a change in how they tour currently.

Honestly, I hope they don't do the huge stadium concerts anymore. If they do, sorry U2, NO!! I really didn't enjoy being in a huge outdoor stadium at the 360 tour. Paid $500.00 for 2 tickets plus a U2 membership so I could get those lousy tickets. Could barely see the band even on screen, and NO! NOT DOING THAT EVER AGAIN!

If it's over a 10,000 seater arena, not for me. I'd rather go to my local library and borrow a U2 dvd for free.
I'll watch it on my own big screen at home. 70,000 ppl just doesn't work for me.

Let them take their well deserved time off, regroup, and pls, forget the 70,000 ppl tours. I hope they figure out that we actually wanna be able to see them properly and hear them properly. I don't mind if It's a 10 - 20 city tour, as long as it isn't in some stadium. If we want to see them, we'll travel, if necessary.  At least if I have to travel for a show, I can turn it into a vacation and visit the sites around that city.

You do realize that some of U2's greatest concerts have been in stadiums. What is most important is the music and how it sounds, rather than if your close enough for Bono to spit on you. I saw the 360 tour 3 times. I did General Admission each time. A $75 dollar ticket and I was in the inner circle each time about 10 meters from the stage. My friends and I agree as far as stage set up, it is the best thing they have ever done.
« Last post by wons on Today at 10:17:09 AM »
IMO, there are 3 scenarios for the next tour;

1. I wouldn't expect a new U2 album anytime before Fall 2021 at the earliest.  4 years after SOE seems about right.  Then tour for that album in 2022-2023.  This is the most likely scenario to me, and the one I would most prefer.

2. An Achtung Baby 30th anniversary tour in 2021.  A Zoo TV 2.0 type of concept, adapted to the current age we live in.  While this is an interesting concept, I don't really think they'll go this way.  Although it is an obvious slam dunk for selling tickets. 

3. A 40th anniversary stadium tour in 2020-2021.  I know, they started in 1976, and released their first EP in 79, but these things aren't an exact science.  The fact that Boy came out in the fall of 1980 would be justification enough for the 40th anniversary in 2020.  Don't necessarily come out and say this is a greatest hits tour, but the implication is there enough to sell tickets.  If 2017 taught us anything, it's that nostalgia is U2's best bet if they wish to fill stadiums again, especially in the US.  I don't think this is too likely either.  But the timing of it works, and it would be a guaranteed stadium filling tour.  I'm sure somebody who makes more money than I do already is brainstorming this idea.

Yep, option number 1. The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 was a fluke. U2 are far more interested in creating new music than nostalgia.
Fun and Games / Re: A-Z U2 songs
« Last post by kevtn43 on Today at 10:14:17 AM »
Magnificent
« Last post by wons on Today at 10:14:16 AM »

The Band / Happy anniversary to Bono and Ali!
« Last post by Swedescott on Today at 09:23:13 AM »
I saw that today is Bono and Ali's anniversary, they were married on 8/21/1982.  I sure hope they are able to spend the day together since the Euro tour is still a few days away.  Adam Clayton was the best man, that can't be easy with three best mates always together.  Married at 22 and still together!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10