Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
The Band / Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Last post by miryclay on Today at 05:50:11 PM »
I tried to present someone's public opinion on a relevant topic. If you were savvy enough you could critique it and convince us the poster was wrong. Evidently you can't.
General U2 Discussion / Re: Ticketmaster Scalping Us
« Last post by dwaltman on Today at 05:44:24 PM »
Would love to see U2 and other artists speak out about this.
General U2 Discussion / Re: 2018 Fan Club Gift
« Last post by dwaltman on Today at 05:41:55 PM »
I received mine today.  Another vinyl release for a fan without a turntable.  I don't even open them although I'm curious as to what it looks like inside.  Anyone want to post pics of the recent vinyl releases?
The Band / Re: Bono's Best Vocal Moments
« Last post by dwaltman on Today at 05:38:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's honestly genius, I believe that.

Just listen to the first two lines, for example.

"I tied myself with wire" - it's jarring, it's tortured, it punches you in the face with its desperation. I can't think of another singer who can do this.

"To let the horses run free" - listen to how differently this line is delivered from the first. Now it's a total yearning, a memory of a deep relief. There is a switch from a violence in need to a sick gentleness, like a starving man screaming for food and then watching, shocked and eyes filling with tears, as food is brought to him, his breathing slowing and deepening in anticipation.

Many noteworthy moments, but two more than stand out to me are:

"To the rhythm that yearns" - if I were a musician I could surely explain what is going on with this line, but I'll try to fumble with it. There's something about the note used in "yearns" that reaches some equalibrium, the only part of the whole song that does this. Maybe it's the base note of the key the song is in, I don't know, or maybe it rests on a major where most rest on the minor. I don't know what's up with that note, but I know there's something special about it, and it feels like the only note that feels not tilted, stable, like it's the foundation. It sounds like resolve.

"To be released from control" - related to the previous line, we fall out of kilter again with the note "control" lands on. Again, I don't know, maybe it's a seventh (and feels "wrong"), or slides back into the minor, or something like that. Just when you think a resolution has been reached, we slide back. Both lines delivered expertly, with "yearns," well, yearning, and "control" with a small voice that needs guidance, a half step back/down.

Anyway, it's a true standout recording, and our man really is a genius. It's about way more than hitting notes.

Ok, agreed...Moment of Surrender is a great vocal performance.  What do you think is the best vocal performance between SOI and SOE?
« Last post by shineinthesummernight on Today at 05:11:45 PM »
The song reminds me of 12-step philosophy.  Wonder if Adam had a lot to do with lyrics?
News and Rumors / Re: Bono meets Pope Francis
« Last post by shineinthesummernight on Today at 05:09:01 PM »
You're right that something drastic needs to be done.  I hope it will happen. 
General U2 Discussion / Re: Ticketmaster Scalping Us
« Last post by crank on Today at 04:03:22 PM »
General U2 Discussion / Ticketmaster Scalping Us
« Last post by crank on Today at 04:02:10 PM »

So now we know why U2 tickets are so hard to come by.
News and Rumors / Re: Bono meets Pope Francis
« Last post by laoghaire on Today at 03:59:54 PM »
I have given up on Pope Francis. He seems wonderful, but there's something wrong. He has consistently played the party line on the church abuses, to a shocking degree. I hope Bono made the Pope rethink. Also, the future of the church literally depends on it.
« Last post by laoghaire on Today at 03:51:30 PM »
It's honestly genius, I believe that.

Just listen to the first two lines, for example.

"I tied myself with wire" - it's jarring, it's tortured, it punches you in the face with its desperation. I can't think of another singer who can do this.

"To let the horses run free" - listen to how differently this line is delivered from the first. Now it's a total yearning, a memory of a deep relief. There is a switch from a violence in need to a sick gentleness, like a starving man screaming for food and then watching, shocked and eyes filling with tears, as food is brought to him, his breathing slowing and deepening in anticipation.

Many noteworthy moments, but two more than stand out to me are:

"To the rhythm that yearns" - if I were a musician I could surely explain what is going on with this line, but I'll try to fumble with it. There's something about the note used in "yearns" that reaches some equalibrium, the only part of the whole song that does this. Maybe it's the base note of the key the song is in, I don't know, or maybe it rests on a major where most rest on the minor. I don't know what's up with that note, but I know there's something special about it, and it feels like the only note that feels not tilted, stable, like it's the foundation. It sounds like resolve.

"To be released from control" - related to the previous line, we fall out of kilter again with the note "control" lands on. Again, I don't know, maybe it's a seventh (and feels "wrong"), or slides back into the minor, or something like that. Just when you think a resolution has been reached, we slide back. Both lines delivered expertly, with "yearns," well, yearning, and "control" with a small voice that needs guidance, a half step back/down.

Anyway, it's a true standout recording, and our man really is a genius. It's about way more than hitting notes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10