Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Indian Summer Sky and Elvis are meh.  If they put Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling in their place, it would be in my top 3, I think.  There are also a few songs, Wire, Promenade, which I enjoy but don't really know all that well.  They haven't stuck with me.  Also the studio version of Bad is not the one I listen to.  A Sort of Homecoming I listen to the live one and the studio one about the same amount.  Still a great album, though.
Bono must be an acrobat to have fans complain like this, and still perform like that.
A fan needs this set like a fish needs a bicycle
You're dangerous 'cause you're honest.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I also initially freaked when I saw this list, but then I remembered two things:

1. This set? It has NO songs, other than new ones, that have never been played before.
2. This set? It isn't longer.

This set would make their comments about playing rare songs and longer sets a straight-up lie, and while they do change their minds, I don't see them doing that. I was going to say the same thing; I think they called it a night early and didn't do Wild Horses and Acrobat because they've worked on them so hard. I think they've spent too much time there to abandon them now.
Well you lied to me 'cause I asked you to
Baby, can we still be friends?
When did you become a fan? I was too young to be a fan then, so I never thought about the length of time between War and TUF. Now that I think of it, it must have been strange for the fans, since TUF is definitely a departure. I personally had to get used to AB after TJT.

I'm amused to see Elvis Presley and America on your list. It's got something good in it, though it's obviously literally a first cut. If I were Bono I would have had a hard time agreeing to publish that track; it must have been like being recorded singing in the shower or something. At the same time, it's got enough of a gem in it that it's not trash. It's nothing that anyone but a hard core fan could appreciate.

Bad, like Bullet the Blue Sky, was a great song not fully realized on their album cuts. They sound a bit thin. But live, they are jaw dropping. But I do like the album cut of Bad more than I like the album cut of Bullet. (And I'm hoping they might do something similar with American Soul now - it seems to be a "miss" for everybody, me included, but I hear potential.)

I also initially freaked when I saw this list, but then I remembered two things:

1. This set? It has NO songs, other than new ones, that have never been played before.
2. This set? It isn't longer.

This set would make their comments about playing rare songs and longer sets a straight-up lie, and while they do change their minds, I don't see them doing that. I was going to say the same thing; I think they called it a night early and didn't do Wild Horses and Acrobat because they've worked on them so hard. I think they've spent too much time there to abandon them now.
It had 7 songs I instantly loved -

A sort of home coming.
Pride
Wire
The Unforgettable Fire
Promenance
Bad
Elvis Presley in America.

---------

Those 7 songs I still love.

There are no 'Boots' or 'Yarwah' type songs I hate. 

It was a change of direction, rather than playing it safe & releasing another War (which I also love).

It was released only a year after War. So no long wait. 

It was the album before 'The Joshua Tree'.

Their live interpretation of Bad gave the song another dimension. Most famously at Live Aid.

The short wait & U2 not being huge meant the album exceeded my expectations.

It's not bloated. Ten songs, with no 3 song combinations no one likes.

They brought in Eno & Lanois for the first time. The start of a beautiful friendship.

General U2 Discussion / Re: Are we finally not craving a new U2 album?
« Last post by wons on Today at 08:06:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Not saying any of that. Most bands, by their age, have a more realistic outlook. All we get is bluster. It's one reason they're so polarizing in ways other bands are able to avoid.

They were indeed honest about Pop as being a mistake they would never repeat again. Their age? U2 or any band for that matter, does not have to act or behave a certain way because of their age. Their adults and they are allowed to do all the things adults do. Does not matter if your 21 or 101. U2 have a better idea of what their doing and how to do it than ANYONE out there. Their 40 year career to this point proves that. Its their life an work and they can do whatever the hell they want with it just as they have done for day one. Age is just a number and anyone attempting to put them in box because of age has some learning to do.
yeah 20/21 songs is too short compared to the setlists we got in 2015
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10