Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
General U2 Discussion / Re: Your Top 20 U2 Songs ranked!
« Last post by JaraSangASongAWeapon on December 15, 2018, 11:07:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Man this is hard and probably changes daily, but right now

1. One
2. The Little Things that give you away
3. Bad
4. North and South of the River
5. With or without you
6. Streets
7. Running to stand still
8. All I want is you
9. Refugee
10. So cruel
11. Moment of surrender
12. Grace
13. Elevation
14. Song for someone
15. Stories for Boys
16. I will Follow
17. Tomorrow
18. Elvis Presley in America
19. Love is Blindness
20. Lady with the spinning head

Deep and eclectic!
The Music and Lyrics / It's hard to listen while you preach
« Last post by Tortuga on December 15, 2018, 11:04:18 AM »
That could make sense, but what is confusing to me is that he uses "I" in the same sentence, so to use "you" for "I" seems a strange twist.

Also, unless the song is about two aspects of himself, there is a "you" character in the song, so it would be jarring to refer to, say, a spouse as "you" throughout the song, but then call himself "you" in part of one line only.
I think you’re listening to it too literally and overthinking it.  Song lyrics can change person or perspective randomly.  It’s like having a conversation with some one.  You say things like “I really need to eat more healthy but you know how it is, you eat what tastes good.”   “You”, in this context, means “we all” or “a person” or “people typically”.  Its a pretty simple song.  I don’t think there is any three dimensional layered meaning to the choice of pronoun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Music and Lyrics / Love is all we have left/intro live
« Last post by MadRob360 on December 15, 2018, 11:00:53 AM »
On the european leg of the tour as the war footage was on screen there was a kind of LIAWHL/zoo mash up. That version of LIAWHL exist anywhere or was it just thrown together for the show intro?
General U2 Discussion / Re: What kind of music will U2 make going forward?
« Last post by Tortuga on December 15, 2018, 10:57:52 AM »
I always thought that rock was based on the electric guitar with lead , bass etc and drums and singer.

That’s a definition of rock.  How is pop rock different?  I realize you aren’t the OP.

I consider most of what U2 has done as pop rock.  Its rock music targeted to a mainstream audience.  The earlier stuff is less poppy and (intentionally ironic) Pop is less poppy. (Leading Larry to suggest that their next album be an “actual” pop album.  And it was.)

So using the idea that SOE is their first “pop rock” album as a starting point for “what will they do next” makes a confusing question.  Probably...”pop rock”, like nearly every other record they’ve made.

I wouldn't disagree.  They are a rock band and what they do next will probably be some format of rock, there is a lot of scope in that whole genre anyway.  I hope they just make some darn good rock and Edge lets his brilliant musical mind shine.
I’m optimistic about that.

The Music and Lyrics / Re: Calling GLORIA lovers RIGHT NOW
« Last post by ToRontoRon on December 15, 2018, 10:49:55 AM »
Thanks, laoghaire.  Brilliant idea for a thread as well.  Gloria is just an absolute classic.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: It's hard to listen while you preach
« Last post by laoghaire on December 15, 2018, 08:53:18 AM »
That could make sense, but what is confusing to me is that he uses "I" in the same sentence, so to use "you" for "I" seems a strange twist.

Also, unless the song is about two aspects of himself, there is a "you" character in the song, so it would be jarring to refer to, say, a spouse as "you" throughout the song, but then call himself "you" in part of one line only.
« Last post by laoghaire on December 15, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
That's brilliant, ToRontoRon, well done.
General U2 Discussion / Re: What kind of music will U2 make going forward?
« Last post by summerholly on December 15, 2018, 08:35:12 AM »
I always thought that rock was based on the electric guitar with lead , bass etc and drums and singer.

That’s a definition of rock.  How is pop rock different?  I realize you aren’t the OP.

I consider most of what U2 has done as pop rock.  Its rock music targeted to a mainstream audience.  The earlier stuff is less poppy and (intentionally ironic) Pop is less poppy. (Leading Larry to suggest that their next album be an “actual” pop album.  And it was.)

So using the idea that SOE is their first “pop rock” album as a starting point for “what will they do next” makes a confusing question.  Probably...”pop rock”, like nearly every other record they’ve made.

I wouldn't disagree.  They are a rock band and what they do next will probably be some format of rock, there is a lot of scope in that whole genre anyway.  I hope they just make some darn good rock and Edge lets his brilliant musical mind shine.
« Last post by ToRontoRon on December 15, 2018, 08:31:57 AM »
I didn't know anything about the October album when I first listened to it, except that it seemed to have a short piano piece at the end of U2's Best of 1980 to 1990 album on it, and that the overall consensus was that it was their worst album.  (An opinion I strongly disagree with, btw.)

So, I listened to the album just hoping there would be at least one song that I'd fall in love with.  I didn't have to wait long.  I still remember lying in my bed with my headphones on after buying October and after hearing the seemingly disjointed, chaotic confusion of Adam's bass solo and the various strange sounds that accompanied it, it all seemed to just come together in the last minute or so of the song.  I remember getting chills the first time I heard the chorus of voices during the big crescendo, and falling in love with it right there and then. 

To me, it sort of feels like the strange sounds represent life and all of it's odd twists and turns, and then when Edge's guitar kicks in at about 3:18 of the song, it's a moment of clarity.  The strange sounds stop, and the singer just belts out "Gloria" with all his heart and soul as he realizes that amidst the chaos of life, God can be a rock for him.  In the song, God gets rid of the chaos, and is something stable for him during turbulent times.  At least, that's what the song means to me. 

The combination of the gospel exultations and The Edge's guitar work just sound great next to each other.  Kind of like Bono's high and low voices during The Fly.  The contrast is what makes it great.   This song's ending was like taking the best parts of a Christian hymn and rock music and fusing them together...  Just sublime.  I still, to this day, consider it my favourite ending to any song.

So, when I first heard the song, I immediately thought it was one of their best.  It's definitely in my top 10 to this day, and I have absolutely no idea how they could have left it off their Best of 1980 to 1990 album.  (I also don't know why The Fly and Lemon were left off the Best of 1990 to 2000 album, but that's another discussion for another thread.)   
General U2 Discussion / What kind of music will U2 make going forward?
« Last post by Tortuga on December 15, 2018, 07:28:56 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10