Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
General U2 Discussion / Re: What kind of music will U2 make going forward?
« Last post by summerholly on December 15, 2018, 01:39:43 AM »
I always thought that rock was based on the electric guitar with lead , bass etc and drums and singer.  So many versions over the years, Indi rock, glam rock, surf rock, soft rock, punk rock etc. with different vibes of attitude, protest, romanticism and showmanship.  Weren't U2 originally based on punk rock?

Really all I want is good lyrics that speak to me, a really good dose of Edges magic on lead guitar which to me anyway has been lacking of late, nice meaty base and something musically interesting.  I know they like experimenting but I wish they would just get back to basics and put out something makes me notice it.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Calling GLORIA lovers RIGHT NOW
« Last post by singnomore on December 14, 2018, 11:11:30 PM »
I’m a 2,3,4......
« Last post by Tortuga on December 14, 2018, 09:05:08 PM »
U2 has had alot of pop-rock songs for many years.  Discotheque, Beautiful Day, Miracle Drug, Vertigo, Elevation, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, WOWY.  What is Pop Rock vs Rock anyway.  I just see it as rock that is written to appeal to a broad audience, which I think U2 has always tried to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Music and Lyrics / Re: It's hard to listen while you preach
« Last post by Tortuga on December 14, 2018, 09:00:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I always read that "you" as being directed at Bono himself.

I interpret the song as a caution against easily ending relationships in search of "the one" instead of working through problems in order to build a relationship. The gamble is that the next try at a relationship will be that lucky, romantic "one".

I saw that as well. I really liked the live version's lyric which had it as, "I thought I heard the pastor's voice, It's hard to listen while you preach." That was a very interesting line, to me.
I agree with Bundang’s interpretation.  I see it as a pretty straightforward lyric with enough cleverness in the metaphors to make it interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last post by World71R on December 14, 2018, 07:31:50 PM »

I interpret the song as a caution against easily ending relationships in search of "the one" instead of working through problems in order to build a relationship. The gamble is that the next try at a relationship will be that lucky, romantic "one".

I saw that as well. I really liked the live version's lyric which had it as, "I thought I heard the pastor's voice, It's hard to listen while you preach." That was a very interesting line, to me.
« Last post by Bundang Dave on December 14, 2018, 04:40:57 PM »

The Music and Lyrics / Re: Oh, Oh's in U2 Lyrics
« Last post by Bundang Dave on December 14, 2018, 04:36:42 PM »
Been listening to the 360 performances of Every Breaking Wave of late, and Bono does some very nice oh-oh-ohing on it. I hope he adds that back into some track in the future.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Oh, Oh's in U2 Lyrics
« Last post by laoghaire on December 14, 2018, 04:30:35 PM »
I love the Ohs in NLOTH-the-song so damn much. I want to jump, I want to yell.

The scream at the beginning of NYD is often spine-tingling (Slane Castle comes to mind, or Zoo TV Dublin) as well as the similar yell at the start of Streets around that time (Super Bowl, Boston).

I wish I liked UC Ohs better, especially since I think I understand them.

And I don't give a whit what anyone thinks, I love all those random LOVEs he throws in every which way (Discotheque, UTEOTW, the start of Bullet at Zoo TV, Streets at Super Bowl, and on and on and hopefully on).
The Music and Lyrics / It's hard to listen while you preach
« Last post by laoghaire on December 14, 2018, 04:09:48 PM »
I love EBW and interpret it as an offer to heal a very damaged relationship. Two people, probably in a marriage, who have hurt each other but atill love each orher - and can't seem to stop being pulled into conflict. An offer to surrender.

The one line that bugs me is:

I thought I heard the Captain's voice - it's hard to listen while you preach

I really wish he had used "we" instead of "you" there. Through the song, he uses non-blaming language, and all faults are shared. But in this one place he's saying, I can hear God talking but YOU WON'T SHUT UP.

And yet, I have to wonder if there is another way to interpret this line. Why? Because our guy knows his own flaws better than many of us do, and he knows flapping his gums - and specifically, preaching - is one of them. He's also been pretty empathetic in his language in general - yes, skewering some people (SLABT, Please, etc.) - but not in this kind of song, and particularly given it's an offer or at least a wish to start again.

How do you read that?
« Last post by hollywoodswag on December 14, 2018, 02:42:03 PM »
SOE was definitely pop-rock, but I'd say that SOI hit that qualifier as well, and probably even more so than SOE.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10