General U2 Discussion / Re: Do College Kids Know 80s music featuring U2
« Last post by summerholly on April 18, 2018, 05:56:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I can't bring myself to watch the video. I'm afraid of the amount of cringe that will be present.

I had an experience in my college class where I learned that several fellow classmates had no idea what Rock 'N Roll was... I still have a bit of PTSD from that situation. So anything involving college kids and music of the past brings about a bit of fear for the state of my peers. I don't know how people my age can be so clueless... Did none of their parents listen to rock music?

Wow, not knowing what rock music is. Now that is a shocking cultural shift.

I still don't understand why kids of today have to like or know rock music?   Every generation creates new sound and music, remember all that electronic pop stuff in the eighties, I try and forget that along with the fashion lol.  There is ongoing cultural shift.  Swing, dance hall, big band gave way to early rock n roll in the mid fifties, I am sure that was considered a shocking cultural shift at the time moving into the sixties lol.

First off, I'd just like to say that 80s music, movies and fashion, every style and genre is superior to anything that came before or after.

Haha I enjoyed it when I was living it but I look back at my permed big hair and shoulder pads and I still have a good laugh.
Not me! I still love 80s fashion! Though I was a teenager in the 70s so thats the era I should identify with but, lets face it, the 70s were the worse fashions in the history of humanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have 80s items in my wardrobe, not that I ever wear them! I was probably a lot skinnier back then lol.  I was also a teen in the 70's and vaguely remember smocks, halternecks, cheesecloth and flares and outrageous platform shoes lol and lion cut hairstyles.  What were we thinking. 
Tours / Re: **Spoilers The Boyz in Laval QC for rehearsals.....**Spoilers
« Last post by miryclay on April 18, 2018, 05:11:51 PM »
I agree.
« Last post by cberoldo on April 18, 2018, 02:51:32 PM »
What some of you are expressing about SBS I feel it but with Beautiful Day, Elevation and Vertigo.
Im reeeeealy tired of this tunes, they play them aaaaall the time. And if U2 is played on the radio, chances are it would be one of these.
I think weve heard them enough.
At least they should drop two of them and play something else, more from Innocence/Experience
The Music and Lyrics / Covers of Songs of Experience
« Last post by BlueSquirrel on April 18, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »
A few covers of some of the "Songs of Experience" have appeared on Youtube. Some of them show a different take on the songs. What do you think of them?

General U2 Discussion / Re: I Heard A U2 Song On The Radio Today
« Last post by BlueSquirrel on April 18, 2018, 02:11:48 PM »
"One" on the radio (Oui FM).
Fun and Games / Re: A-Z U2 songs
« Last post by World71R on April 18, 2018, 02:01:34 PM »
If God Will Send His Angels
Fun and Games / Re: A-Z U2 songs
« Last post by kevtn43 on April 18, 2018, 01:20:53 PM »
Hold me, thrill me, kill me , kiss me
The Music and Lyrics / Re: If you love 13, sell me on it
« Last post by laoghaire on April 18, 2018, 12:19:58 PM »
I am a parent, and I read through the lyrics a couple of days ago (hadn't bothered before - seem to need to feel at least a basic interest in a song first). So, yes, the lyrics are really something, as a parent, or even as a (mature) child listening as if they were coming from a parent. There's a warmth. And it feels like it extends to humanity as a whole, for the children inside all of us. And himself of course.

I just have to get used to the sound of it. I don't mind the verses but the SFS stuff feels not merely muted or minor-keyed, but - I don't know.

Still working on it.
« Last post by 73October on April 18, 2018, 12:15:16 PM »
I agree SBS should go. Hell, take Streets with it too. Even casual U2 fans have heard these songs like four times in the last 3 years.

Disagree. 

It's a protest song and it's needed more than ever now. There are wars and rumours of wars everywhere (this sounds Biblical!) and we should sing "No more!" "How long must we sing this song" because we still need to sing it.

Plus, I've been to the site of Bloody Sunday in Northern Ireland.  I have a friend from Derry/Londonderry with first hand recollections of the day - which is something considering I'm a mainland British Protestant.  If anything, I think the band should include it in the set for this tour (at least on rotation) because it's 20 years since the Good Friday Agreement (and Bono went on stage with political leaders John Hulme (Nationalist) and David Trimble (Unionist) to promote the referendum in Northern Ireland).  It's because of 10 April 1998, I could safely make friends with an Irish Catholic from Derry and go to the Bogside and see for myself where people died because of their beliefs (yes, many of them fell dead across a "dead end street").
(disclosure:  I also used to (until we moved away from each other on mainland Britain) have a friend from the Protestant side of Londonderry - who was an 'Ulsterman' and followed Northern Ireland at football/soccer home and away).
I grant you many extra points.  Use them wisely lol.

Ireland is a great song though. . . .
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10