Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
The Band / Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Last post by laoghaire on Today at 10:39:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here is YouTube MacPhisto opinion piece:

It includes fan made screenshots and links.

Why did you post this?
« Last post by Canadanne on Today at 10:19:10 AM »

I would not even waste my time watching a video with a title like that.

No me neither....the comment section was horrendous.  I think they need their heads examining!

I learnt a long time ago not to read comment sections on the Internet.
Was considering Galway and Cliffs of Moher on 1 day trip.  We might do a private tour...basically get a chauffeur. Does that help?  Seems like you would advise against that.
Oh, it can be done in a day. Ive just done a google maps from my house in Dublin to the cliffs of Moher, then to Galway city and back to my house in Dublin. That trip no stopping in the car would take about seven hours. Add in photo taking, shopping time, stops for food. And if you want to head out to Connemara (west Galway).

Also, as a U2 fan visiting Ireland, you might try this

Thank you, I have not seen that book.  Just ordered it.  It'll be a nice reference.  I have a few places in mind to visit but not going all out on U2 sites.
For me the band is really tight. I love the rawness of Edge's guitar playing and it's very much a wall of sound. The lyrics were meh at best but I still believe it could have been turned into something.

Look at She's Gonna Blow Your House Down. In the end the jam sessions on that song were better than the final result.
« Last post by 73October on Today at 07:07:06 AM »

I would not even waste my time watching a video with a title like that.

No me neither....the comment section was horrendous.  I think they need their heads examining!
General U2 Discussion / Re: Overwriting
« Last post by Tortuga on Today at 06:02:19 AM »
I dont think its over-writing vs not over-writing.  I think its very direct to the point of being cheesy vs more subtle and less direct/ more imagery.

Examples of extremes:

Direct:  HTDAAB

Subtle:  UF

There is another Bono archetype that I think is somewhat Bono at his best.  This is songs that are direct but multi-layered with metaphors wrapped in metaphors.  Its all wrapped up so tightly its almost gimmicky but is so clever that its almost not gimmicky. This started around Pop.  Examples: Playboy Mansion, Kite, EBW, Landlady.

Count me in as puzzled on the Windows in the sky opinion.  IMHO probably their worst song as far as artistic value.  Banal lyrics and melody...and that horrid video to top it off.  Cant you see what love has done? Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Rank U2's albums
« Last post by laoghaire on Today at 05:43:41 AM »
We like to rip into each other for certain other things, but personal album rankings are safe and respected :)
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Rank U2's albums
« Last post by maxford on Today at 05:26:41 AM »
Gonna clump them like a lot of others on here.

JT: It's the Joshua Tree. Most complete album ever made. Don't care how overrated people say it is, words can't even describe a work of art that good. Incredibly underrated second half as well.

AB: Some great anthems. So Cruel is just about the most underrated song of all time.
UF: Not a huge fan of the entire album, but Bad, Pride and a couple of others make it work so well.

ATYCLB
SOE

Atomic Bomb
SOI
October

War
Horizon
Pop

R & H
Boy

Zooropa: I get the creativity and exploration side of it, but it falls flat for me. Numb is weirdly decent, but everything else was a disappointment.

Just my opinion, feel free to rip into me  ;)

General U2 Discussion / Re: 2018 Fan Club Gift
« Last post by daveyg on Today at 12:01:26 AM »
Still waiting on 2017's gift
E+I Tour Venue/City Information / Re: Travel Advice - 1st Visit to Dublin/Ireland
« Last post by daveyg on September 18, 2018, 11:56:27 PM »
Was considering Galway and Cliffs of Moher on 1 day trip.  We might do a private tour...basically get a chauffeur. Does that help?  Seems like you would advise against that.
Oh, it can be done in a day. Ive just done a google maps from my house in Dublin to the cliffs of Moher, then to Galway city and back to my house in Dublin. That trip no stopping in the car would take about seven hours. Add in photo taking, shopping time, stops for food. And if you want to head out to Connemara (west Galway).

Also, as a U2 fan visiting Ireland, you might try this

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10