Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
News and Rumors / Re: Looooong Bono interview, Chicago, 6th Dec
« Last post by JTNash on December 14, 2018, 11:08:52 AM »
He’s such a good person, yet he get hate spewed at him. 

That’s so profound, I hope he writes a book one day, one all his own thoughts.
General U2 Discussion / Re: What kind of music will U2 make going forward?
« Last post by laoghaire on December 14, 2018, 11:08:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
TBTAYIM

Is that tongue-in-cheek or what is the deal?
« Last post by Smee on December 14, 2018, 10:34:17 AM »
More like Book Of Your Heart. No more GOOYOW, TBTAYIM and such like
General U2 Discussion / Re: Why do you love U2?
« Last post by kevtn43 on December 14, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
The first song and video that i saw on MTV was i still haven't found what i'm looking for, it sounded so amazing so different than anything else that I was listening to at the time ,and what really got me hooked was that it was a gospel song i went with my own money from mowing yards and bought the Joshua tree and i haven't looked back since
Why do i love them is they always put me in a great spirit through the hard times and the good times in my life they are there to lift me up
« Last post by laoghaire on December 14, 2018, 09:22:42 AM »
Another topic he brushed on was the squandering of human potential, by way of extreme poverty, serious and preventable illness (malaria, HIV, etc.), and other examples of unjustness.

He said that love is the realizing of potential in others and in yourself.

Again, sounds like a quick slogan but I know he could talk for days, quoting philosophers, scientists, economists, theologists, and so on to describe various aspects of this concept. It's tied in with One and Red, of course, but also with band members, in marriages, as parents, and even how you do your job whatever it may be. It's arguably what Jesus tried to get us to understand, what is meant by John's words, "friends, let us love one another."

We have to carry our own weight but some of us have foisted our weights onto others - and then blame those others for staggering under it. Whether that's through exploitation, oppression, abuse, or similar, it is unjust, and calling any repairs to that "charity" ignores the issue of justice and allows us to pretend we all had an equal go of it, and that we are superior for supposedly taking back a tiny fraction of that weight.

Screwtape would be whispering such things into our ears.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Calling GLORIA lovers RIGHT NOW
« Last post by xy on December 14, 2018, 06:17:41 AM »
Not a favourite per se but it definitely rocked at my show (Milan 4). It seemed tired on Vertigo bootlegs but it fired up live. One of the most underrated Edge riffs for sure.

Best bit...You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that chord - after the bass solo that opens this video. I swear I hear stadiums calling.
« Last post by summerholly on December 14, 2018, 05:33:12 AM »
I'm curious--what makes you think that Edge, Adam and Larry have super high IQ's?  I'm not saying that that is not possible, but I'm just curious as to what the evidence is to base that on.  In Bono's case, I think there's no doubt that the man is extraordinarily gifted:  intellectually, artistically, and social intelligence-wise.  An all-around amazing personality and character, and yet grounded in humility and faith.  Such a rare and extraordinary combination of traits.

IQ is an interesting concept.  As a scientist myself I know some extraordinarily smart people in fields of mathematics, physics etc but oh my sometimes their social intelligence and ability to context their work can be annoyingly dumb.   Whereas I know people who are not geniuses in those fields but they have an amazing ability to understand and context what is required and work with those geniuses to achieve and communicate the desired outcomes.  Who is smarter I don't know.  It is a team effort a bit like U2 LOL.

Both Edge and Bono are gifted possibly in different areas, I don't know about Adam and Larry, they are clearly musical but in terms of super IQ that is difficult to gauge.  I tend to think of Stephen Hawkings when I think of a super high IQ, now his mind really blows me away. 

Bono has a great deal of social intelligence and is very artistic and is clearly a very clear and strategic thinker and has a deep understanding of human emotion and the bigger picture and is able to articulate all of this clearly.
It is certainly true that highly intelligent people are not always very sensible, much less wise. I think Bono is actually wise as well as smart — which is not to say he doesn’t have his foibles.

Stephen Hawking was at the tail end of the tail in terms of IQ. RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He would certainly be top 0.003% of the population it has been thought.  Although I don't think Stephen ever revealed his IQ if indeed he ever took one, he didn't agree with quoting ones IQ.   

Yep Bono is wise and smart.  Quite a character really.

« Last post by Tortuga on December 14, 2018, 05:15:17 AM »
U2 made their first pop rock album with SOE, before that dance, rock, industrial, blues, punk, ambient, to name a few categories

they always change up their sound for each album release, so what do you think is next in line for them in terms of exploring their sound in the future?

SOE was their first pop rock?  What is your definition of pop rock?

News and Rumors / Looooong Bono interview, Chicago, 6th Dec
« Last post by Luzita on December 14, 2018, 03:45:05 AM »
I'm curious--what makes you think that Edge, Adam and Larry have super high IQ's?  I'm not saying that that is not possible, but I'm just curious as to what the evidence is to base that on.  In Bono's case, I think there's no doubt that the man is extraordinarily gifted:  intellectually, artistically, and social intelligence-wise.  An all-around amazing personality and character, and yet grounded in humility and faith.  Such a rare and extraordinary combination of traits.

IQ is an interesting concept.  As a scientist myself I know some extraordinarily smart people in fields of mathematics, physics etc but oh my sometimes their social intelligence and ability to context their work can be annoyingly dumb.   Whereas I know people who are not geniuses in those fields but they have an amazing ability to understand and context what is required and work with those geniuses to achieve and communicate the desired outcomes.  Who is smarter I don't know.  It is a team effort a bit like U2 LOL.

Both Edge and Bono are gifted possibly in different areas, I don't know about Adam and Larry, they are clearly musical but in terms of super IQ that is difficult to gauge.  I tend to think of Stephen Hawkings when I think of a super high IQ, now his mind really blows me away. 

Bono has a great deal of social intelligence and is very artistic and is clearly a very clear and strategic thinker and has a deep understanding of human emotion and the bigger picture and is able to articulate all of this clearly.
It is certainly true that highly intelligent people are not always very sensible, much less wise. I think Bono is actually wise as well as smart — which is not to say he doesn’t have his foibles.

Stephen Hawking was at the tail end of the tail in terms of IQ. RIP.

General U2 Discussion / What kind of music will U2 make going forward?
« Last post by catorce on December 14, 2018, 01:46:36 AM »
U2 made their first pop rock album with SOE, before that dance, rock, industrial, blues, punk, ambient, to name a few categories

they always change up their sound for each album release, so what do you think is next in line for them in terms of exploring their sound in the future?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10