Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Tours / Re: What happened to rfd
« Last post by 64ac30 on Today at 07:40:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't know which guitar The Edge used for that song, but to me it sounded like his Explorer (really bright pickups). I've always loved the sound of that specific guitar in Edge's hands whereas it can get somewhat shrill when other guitarists use it differently.
So, does anyone know if he actually uses the Explorer on Red Flag Day ? And does he add any other effects along with it ?

BTW the bass is fantastic as well on that track...

Tour he used the explorer in America. Switched to Les Paul  when they hit Europe. The album tone sounds like a strat. The verses are just a light modulation effect. Bridge is light delay, solo is sd1.
General U2 Discussion / Re: Why do you love U2?
« Last post by shineinthesummernight on Today at 03:50:54 PM »
I fell in love w/ U2 when I heard "October", specifically "Gloria", "Tomorrow", "I Fall Down", etc.
News and Rumors / Re: More shows next year ?
« Last post by podiumboy on Today at 02:27:34 PM »
Asia is really growing as a concert market for international artists.  As an example Iíll use Coldplay on their last tour.  They played stadiums or stadium sized venues in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, India and UAE.  Hong Kong has the AsiaWorld Arena, which is a popular spot for tours as well.  Artists who played the Tibetan freedom concert (as U2 did in 97) have been banned from playing in China, so weíll see how that goes.  However, Iíve done the research, and I canít come up with any major tour that has visited Vietnam in recent years.  So who knows...

Australia will probably be mostly stadiums if not entirely, and some of these Asian countries may get arenas.  Hope everybody who wants to see U2 in those parts of the world get a show!!
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Is FLOOD the best U2 producer?
« Last post by BONO31 on Today at 01:22:07 PM »
I would love for them to do another Passengers . . . maybe Flood would make a good 5th member instead of Eno, but I'd be happy to hear another one with Eno too.
Passengers is a great album, thatís the first U2 album I bought (yes, this is a U2 album😉).
I remember listening to SLUG for the first time,
it was Christmas time, and this song was the perfect soundtrack
for the Christmas tree lights. SLUG also make me feel like Iím in space or in my motherís belly.
Iím sure original soundtrack 2 will see the light of day
when U2 will rereleased original soundtrack 1 in 2025.
General U2 Discussion / Re: Why do you love U2?
« Last post by BONO31 on Today at 01:05:13 PM »
I love U2 because they are a band that wrote incredible melodies with amazing sound landscapes while actually having important things to say.

The song that made me fall in love with them was Discotheque. It was the first song by them i noticed on the radio (had heard a few from Achtung Baby when I was a kid but didnt take much notice back then) and it immediately captured my attention. It didnt sound like anything else on the radio (it still dont) and the lyrics was so captivating and intelligent. Bono sang about the world and himself at the same time. I think I just got the song and the whole Pop album - it connected with me at the time and made me a fan. I got most of their albums in the following months and that made me understand and respect their musical developement. I found it amazing how a band that big took huge chances with theirs sound and their tours - it was inspiring to me.

My love for U2 has to do with their musicianship, Bonos honesty and intelligence in the lyrics, and their engagement with the world - their "humanity" as was mentioned - that also represents a fundamentally activistic and optimistic world view unlike a lot of other bands in the 90's (im looking at you grunge-scene). To change the world and have fun as Bono used to say.
I remember the first transmission of Discotheque on the radio. Iíve waited until midnight to record the song on tape. This song is a UFO! A masterpiece!
Another thing I liked about U2 in the 90s was the surprise effect.
Every time U2 were releasing a new album,
the question was ę what will they do next? How will they sound? Ľ
Exciting times!!!
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Is FLOOD the best U2 producer?
« Last post by Bundang Dave on Today at 11:35:00 AM »
I would love for them to do another Passengers . . . maybe Flood would make a good 5th member instead of Eno, but I'd be happy to hear another one with Eno too.
News and Rumors / Re: Looooong Bono interview, Chicago, 6th Dec
« Last post by JTNash on Today at 10:49:56 AM »
He's a genius and I don't say that lightly.

There are some seriously deep philosophical and ethical concepts that he is referring to in there. It's easy to blow off because he sums them up in little slogans or whatever but you know he's done the work unpacking these ideas and isn't just parroting one liners.

I know most of the concepts he has said before, but that doesn't bring down the astuteness.

Might watch again and take notes. But one example, and I know he's been saying it for years, is the charity vs justice concept which sounds like not a big deal but it is. I had been reading through Malcolm Gladwell's books and partway through the first one I was thinking, man, Bono should read this. Then had similar thoughts at various points in other books, and finally heard Edge somewhere saying that they had in fact been reading him. Anyway there's a whole book dedicated to the importance of justice, and I know that it was merely one leeettle itty bitty piece of the philosophy he's been sewing together. And he reads a lot thicker stuff than Gladwell to be sure.
thatís what I would do
If I didnít work read more
General Music Discussion / Re: the 5 songs rocking your world right now
« Last post by Vox on Today at 10:47:19 AM »
"Control" -- Broken Bells
"Lazy Eye" -- Silversun Pickups
"Wish I Knew You" -- The Revivalists
"Magic" -- The Cars
"Blue Suede" -- Vince Staples
Fun and Games / Re: A-Z U2 songs
« Last post by kevtn43 on Today at 10:23:07 AM »
City of blinding lights