Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Kango,

I don't think it's been mentioned but if the industrial stuff floats your boat, you might like to give the Museum of Science and Industry a go if you're down the Castlefield area. Free admission, lots about Manchester's industrial history, steam engines and planes!

It's pretty basic. A larger filesize carries more audio information than a smaller filesize. I am not only an untrainer listener, I'm hearing impaired. And there is a difference and even I can hear it. It would be very odd if you couldn't.

Listening on the exact same device with the exact same headphones, the exact same song back to back. LIAWHL. I see my file is actually an M4A file not MP3. 5.56MB.

The other file is AIFF, 27.1MB.

If you are going to argue there is no difference you clearly haven't tried it.
Tours / Re: The Edge Miming? I
« Last post by laoghaire on Today at 09:37:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Since Adam and Larry canít / wonít effectively sing backing vocals, Edge has to sing over prerecorded tracks to fatten up some of the backing vocals.  The alternative is to have backup singers onstage, and they seem intent on keeping just the 4 of them onstage.  Itís not different than having a prerecorded synth playing along with them.  Most bands do this to some degree. 

Larry does actually sing backup on a few songs. Can't remember where I saw it, but someone recently posted a short video on either Twitter or Instagram of him singing the opening for GOOYOW.

Have you heard Larry singing Dirty Ol Town? hehehe - not a note in his head!! Thinking back up to R&H period when Adam & Larry were "mic-ed up" and seen "singing" into the mics - I don't ever recollect ever hearing anyone other than Bono and Edge

I don't recall seeing Adam sing since 1983.

Larry, I remember singing throughout the years on the very background. Daddy's Gonna Pay. Moment of Surrender and Unknown Caller. Some others.
News and Rumors / Re: Article on technical aspects of the tour.
« Last post by jc619er on Today at 09:22:15 AM »
Just give me the setlist they played last night in Milan and I'm in. What a show that must have been.
Tours / Re: U2 is lazy
« Last post by cocamojoe on Today at 09:14:22 AM »
Yeah, you can hold up bands like Pearl Jam or Bruce or virtuosic band like Phish or something, but most touring bands settle into a comfortable set and stick to it, with a couple change-ups here and there.  Absolutely true about Tom Petty. I was even looking at the Alarm's 2018 setlists - they are touring on a pretty small scale - and those setlists were really static too.

Also I would give U2 the benefit of the doubt about show lengths. Sure there may be some physical limitations there, but I think they are pretty sensitive about creating a nice cohesive show that isn't padded out with extra songs just because they can. Longer doesn't necessarily mean better in all cases.  I've been to plenty of other shows that would've been better if they had been trimmed back to 21-23 songs.

I do agree with your latter point, to a point. Earlier this year, I saw Jack White, for the second time. The first time, his setlist was a few songs longer, yet the second show totally leaned the first one. And, thatís even with my not overly liking his newest album. Still, the flow of songs, the song selection, the performance, all of it combined such where, though it was a shorter show, it was the better of the two that Iíve seen.

Just yesterday, I got lucky w 2 GA tickets to see U2 in Dublin next month. I was already planning on being in Europe by then, but just for an extended vacation in general (Iím in the States), on top of seeing the band Devotchka in Berlin on November 29, and then Paul McCartney in KrakŲw on December 3. Long story short, I more than hope to eat my words!
« Last post by JTNash on Today at 08:58:19 AM »
Iím gonna need them all to sing Ramblin Bog anyone else know that song?
« Last post by daveyg on Today at 08:28:08 AM »
Since Adam and Larry canít / wonít effectively sing backing vocals, Edge has to sing over prerecorded tracks to fatten up some of the backing vocals.  The alternative is to have backup singers onstage, and they seem intent on keeping just the 4 of them onstage.  Itís not different than having a prerecorded synth playing along with them.  Most bands do this to some degree. 

Larry does actually sing backup on a few songs. Can't remember where I saw it, but someone recently posted a short video on either Twitter or Instagram of him singing the opening for GOOYOW.

Have you heard Larry singing Dirty Ol Town? hehehe - not a note in his head!! Thinking back up to R&H period when Adam & Larry were "mic-ed up" and seen "singing" into the mics - I don't ever recollect ever hearing anyone other than Bono and Edge
« Last post by bonorules on Today at 08:11:50 AM »

« Last post by podiumboy on Today at 07:40:32 AM »
The Music and Lyrics / Serious-but-embarassing question: why buy vinyl?
« Last post by Tortuga on Today at 06:32:09 AM »
If you can tell the difference between a 320kbps MP3 and a CD then you should be able to hear spiders crawling on a wall or ants walking in the garden.

As for Vinyl itís more about the feel. I released my own album on vinyl/cd/digital last year and vinyl is the one that feels like weíre in the room with you. The sound is mixed and mastered differently for vinyl also ... I donít know what the difference is but I prefer it ... always have ... Iíd much rather play my slightly crackly original copy of Joshua Tree than play a remastered digital file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think when people say they can hear the difference theyíre not really comparing apples to apples.  For example, their MP3 ďsourceĒ is music played back on a smartphone plugged into a receiver input from its headphone jack (possibly streamed over a low bandwidth wifi connection) compared to a CD player plugged into the receiver through a line level connection.

I agree no way an untrained listener (as in, someone who doesnít spend their life career like a recording engineer) can tell a 320 kbps from uncompressed).  Most engineers will tell you they canít as well.  There have been numerous articles reporting this based on actual trials.

As for vinyl, I believe it is easily distinguishable from a CD or MP3, if nothing else because of its noise floor.  I get that the EQ curve is appealing.  I still have vinyl and I like it the way I like an old b&w movie. But no way is it higher fidelity or a more accurate reproduction of the music it represents.  I also donít buy that itís ďeasier on the earsĒ than a so-called ďharshĒ digital recording.  Thatís just imagination at work and the power of suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10