Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The Band / Re: Bono's CV / Resume
« Last post by 73October on August 13, 2018, 02:36:21 PM »
Bush Medal recipient
News and Rumors / Re: 1981 footage unearthed
« Last post by 73October on August 13, 2018, 02:33:52 PM »
He has made up that which he did not have in his own childhood (a meaningful relationship with his father).  He seems to be there for all four of his children.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Unknown Caller: The Ohs, and Act 1
« Last post by laoghaire on August 13, 2018, 11:19:25 AM »
Maybe Act 1 is with the man, but the acts aren't chronological. So he is in bliss in Act 1, and then recounts his call to God in Act 2 and redemption in Act 3 as events that happened in the past. The lyrics are in past tense.

I do love how the music kind of swoops out of Act 1 into Act 2.
« Last post by laoghaire on August 13, 2018, 10:25:36 AM »
Chairman's Award, NAACP.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Unknown Caller: The Ohs, and Act 1
« Last post by laoghaire on August 13, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »
I just listened again and the Ohs seem definitely Rock Bottom Man. I would say strongly they are not God because the flow of the music is steadily upward during the God chant, higher notes from Adam and chimes from Edge and overall upward flow. It reverses during the Ohs to a downward flow and the nature of the music markedly changes. So its RBM expressing his despair and amazement and confusion and hope. Amusingly he never seems to follow the Shush Now directive, but we're only human, right?

I still dunno about Act 1 though.
Tours / Re: U2 Stadium tour southern hemisphere Feb 2019?
« Last post by wons on August 13, 2018, 09:23:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I still say U2’s reluctance to go to Australia is Guy’s fault.  He is also Madonna’s manager, and her last tour in Australia flopped hard!  I think the fear is tthat U2 aren’t in demand enough to go to Australia, Japan, Singapore, etc, and charge what would be necessary.  They sold immensely well on the Vertigo Tour in Australia.  The 360 Tour was a bit of a disappointment, sales wise, in Australia, except in Perth.  I wouldn’t be surprised if that leg lost money. 

The JT Tour would’ve been perfect for Australia.  The production wasn’t nearly as extravagant as 360, and the demand would’ve been stronger for that than the IE Tour.  They should’ve gone to Australia instead of that unnecessary 2nd NA leg.  Wasted opportunity.

Lost money on Australia 360? Not a chance. The numbers were a little lower than Vertigo, but not a lot lower. If you want to see low attendance for a U2 tour in Australia, just look at POPMART.
Attendance on POPMART
Sydney - 38,000
Melbourne - 23,810
Perth - 13,775
Brisbane - 17,567

As bad as those attendance numbers are, the band at least broke even on POPMART Australia or else they would not have even bothered to go down there.
« Last post by Moonstarsky on August 13, 2018, 08:30:28 AM »
Wow! Didn't know about 12 to 17! NICE!

12. Knigth Commander (of the British Empire)
13. Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur (France)
14.Freeman of the City (Dublin)
15. Honorary Doctor University of Pennsylvania
16. Honorary Doctor Degree of Keiō University
17. Commandeur De L’Ordre Des Arts Et Des Lettres (France)
18. Good food lover  ;D

So 18, you knew?  ;D

Yup! That I knew b/c the Twitter page of (I think) Sherry from here atu2.com, if I have her name wrong I apologize, has pictures up of Bono and some chef, and a bunch of yummy food. And wine, red and white.

**It's on the atu2 Twitter page. **
The Music and Lyrics / Unknown Caller: The Ohs, and Act 1
« Last post by laoghaire on August 13, 2018, 08:25:20 AM »
Have two questions about UC.

1) Where are we in Act 1?

First assumption was that we are with Rock Bottom Man the entire song. If that is so, why is RBM in sunshine in Act 1? It's so light and airy. Is he high there? But if so, why does he go right from there to the bottom? Is it an interlude between MoS and UC Act 2? It's just too airy for me. It's not just base relief, it seems like the real thing.

So I wondered if Act 1 is with God, and God is watching RBM. Then we swoop down with God to where RBM is, and the music gets flatter and more distorted for Act 2. Then ascension/redemption happens in Act 3, and both RBM and God are present.

Does that make sense or are there other ideas?

2) The difference between the voice of RBM (regular singing) and God (chanting by U2 choir) is clear. There's also the "sunshine" voice but whose voice that is would be determined by question 1.

But are the ohs just ohs or do they belong to a character?

They start at the beginning of Act 2. They seem to be RBM. But then they are interspersed with God's lines.

I'm guessing the Ohs are still RBM, responding to God.

If so, what do they mean? Are they cries to God, then amazement?

I don't usually put much meaning on Ohs, but smack dab in the middle of God's lines seem to waarent closer inspection. I think they were purposeful rather than filler.
« Last post by laoghaire on August 13, 2018, 08:03:31 AM »
I didn't; I thought he ate pizza.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10