Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
General U2 Discussion / Re: Songs Of Experience sales in the United States
« Last post by Tortuga on May 22, 2018, 12:09:10 PM »
I've only been talking about physical CDs.  I still buy downloads, mostly from Bandcamp.  I then load them to my Amazon music account so I can listen to them along with all of the other music.  80% of what I listen to, I already have purchased the CD years ago.  If you will remember, this started with "I no longer buy physical CDs." 

The music streaming services are all losing money.  After they pay royalties they can't even cover their infrastructure cost.  Why is this?  Its because not enough people are subscribing.  Contrast this with Netflix, which is profitable.  Same business model.  Are you okay with people streaming video?  Or do they need to buy DVD's in order to be fair to the artists?  Netflix is making money because they have way more subscribers.  As streaming ramps up it will reach this equilibrium.  We are in a period of transition.  Technology drives change and it takes awhile for the business models to adjust.  Music is not dying.

This is also going on with portrait photographers.  They charge a fee for taking the pictures, which does not pay for their costs, and then they sell you prints.  But people don't really want prints much anymore.  They want the digital images.  So the photographers make you buy a minimum number of prints in order to get the images on a flash drive and then the prints just get stuffed in a drawer.  They need to change their business model and just charge a flat fee for taking the pictures and doing whatever photoshop stuff they do.  It takes time for people to understand the market and adapt.  And there is always this period of transistion where some people still want prints and other people don't.  This is what is going on with music.

I remember when people thought film would never give way completely to digital cameras. 
The Band / Re: What was Bono's "mortality crisis"?
« Last post by vanvooh on May 22, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »
Not necesarily true.. I had a heart attack as well and after having a stent put in, I felt much better.  Plus cardio activity is what they prescribe for you so him dancing around would be a good thing and what his doctors would want to see. The drinking can also be done just in moderation.  I dont think that Bono hits it too hard anyway
Tours / Re: Where to stand for GA tix - Nashville
« Last post by Saint22 on May 22, 2018, 10:45:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So I donít need a rail spot and I just got an email saying we can line up on Thursday can I just go in at 6.30 on the day of.  I donít want to even be in the line?

This is what I have been saying, JTNash. By the way, I am the former Saint, the guy with the Episcopal shield avatar before they shut the forum down for a while. I just started all over. Hope you are well.

Anyway, I cannot for the life of me understand why people are talking about lining up at 6:30 a.m. on Thursday. And then just about the time I thought I understood the process, some of the line runners of FB are talking about checking in multiple times and what time the arm bands are going to be handed out and all that stuff, when the email from the arena clearly said check-in cuts off at noon and people can start lining up according to number then, but then someone said they don't want people there until 4:30?

Screw every single bit of that noise. I'll see y'all about 5 or 5:30. :)
The Band / Re: Does Bono still smoke?
« Last post by Saint22 on May 22, 2018, 10:42:03 AM »
This is true.  I know because I had a heart attack a few years ago and quit smoking cold turkey the day I was admitted to the ICU for my heart attack. However, the extra weight and bein the most inactive/sedentary I have ever been have really hurt my health. I have gone back to smoking but my doctors including my cardiologist have really stressed that my weight and lack of movement are a bigger concern to them....

My great uncle drank and smoked heavily and lived to his nineties but I also had a very fit and active friend also a smoker , he died at age 50 of pancreatic cancer which is also linked heavily to smoking.  I guess on balance smoking is not good for you and we don't know which way our genetics are going to swing.  In the end it is our life and our choice as to what risks we deliberately take.

Perfectly said.
Tours / Re: *SPOILERS* - A former hardcore fan goes to Omaha
« Last post by miryclay on May 22, 2018, 10:34:29 AM »
If you ask why you just might get the wooden spoon.
« Last post by miryclay on May 22, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »
What happened with a wooden spoon?

I just watched 13 (Omaha) - wow, he sounds amazing.

It seems to now be in the visuals for CW. The wooden spoon weighs large in Irish parenting folklore.
Tours / Re: GA - North vs. South
« Last post by trevgreg on May 22, 2018, 09:03:25 AM »
In Omaha, I got a "South" wristband, but I think all of us who lined up at doors just entered via one stairway and went wherever we wanted to. Not sure about the GA people they let in a bit early.
« Last post by trevgreg on May 22, 2018, 09:02:28 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it! I was down there in GA as well... nice to see Omaha for the first time in 25 years and see a good show in a decently full venue!
Tours / Re: GA - North vs. South
« Last post by d.darroch on May 22, 2018, 08:10:03 AM »
I'm making a theorie. I like Adam a lot, too. But Adams side has a camera rolling on the catwalk and is thus a bit more space between rail and stage, isn't it? But the advantage of Adams side is dat you're not looking at the back of Larry when they're on the E-stage. So which side is better?
There was a camera rolling on Edge's side too, back and forth constantly.
I think JWF is referring to the camera on Adamís side that rolls up the full length of the catwalk. All the way from front-of-stage to the e-stage. Iím guessing you are referring to the camera on Edgeís side front-of-stage, stage right? Which could effect those in RZ but not people near the catwalk. Is that right?
The Music and Lyrics / Re: If you love 13, sell me on it
« Last post by miryclay on May 22, 2018, 07:38:42 AM »
Larry's drumming is incredible on this. Understand but firm.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10