General U2 Discussion / Re: Achtung Baby special edition set
« Last post by Johnny Feathers on May 22, 2018, 07:22:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is a weird one.  There's not much from I listen to with any frequency.  The (dance) remixes are fine for what they are, but they go on a bit long after two whole discs of them.  The Kindergarten disc sounds like it would be your thing if you want to hear works in progress--there are a few interesting gems in there, but I'm not one to listen to demos a lot.  That leaves the disc of b-sides and outtakes, which is good, but most of the best bits were already released with the singles.  Down All The Days and Oh Berlin are pretty good, as is Blow Your House Down.  The other outtakes (Heaven and Hell, Everybody Loves a Winner) are pretty cringey.

I still maintain that the original versions of Can't Help Falling In Love and Night and Day should have been included, as well as the soundtrack versions of UTWOTW and Stay.

And don't forget the soundtrack version of The Wanderer. Personally, I have always thought it was a mistake to have folded Zooropa in with that set. IMO, it was just a way to drive up the price, and they knew Zooropa wouldn't sell as well on its own.

Having loved Heaven And Hell going back to the infamous Salome tapes, I was thrilled it made it to the box.

How DID I forget that one?  I felt like those soundtrack versions really help flesh out that period.  I can't believe I only just got those soundtracks in the past few years.

Fair play on Heaven and Hell.  I feel like U2 were really considering going a full-on torch song route before they changed gears and went German/industrial.  I'm glad they largely passed up that phase.

Has anyone else noted how Salome seems to be a precursor to Zoo Station?

Absolutely. Just like Lady With The Spinning Head is the mother of Ultra Violet.

I never even knew the alternate versions of Stay and The Wanderer existing until a few years ago.

Ultraviolet AND The Fly.

AND Until the End of the World.

Hm, is that true?  I feel like I've heard that this was the case, but I'm not sure I've ever picked out where UTEOTW picks up from LWTSH.
U2 were really my first favorite band.  Before then, I liked stuff like Huey Lewis, Hall & Oates, and Tears for Fears, and just whatever popped up on the radio that I liked.  My friends were all more into hard rock, pop metal and stuff like that.  But U2 were the first band that really inspired me to follow them more closely, and music in general--reading the liner notes, etc.  Depeche Mode and Peter Gabriel followed soon thereafter.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: If you love 13, sell me on it
« Last post by NotComingDown on May 22, 2018, 07:19:41 AM »
I know the world is dumb
But you donít have to be
Tours / Re: GA - North vs. South
« Last post by McSwilly on May 22, 2018, 07:18:08 AM »
I'm making a theorie. I like Adam a lot, too. But Adams side has a camera rolling on the catwalk and is thus a bit more space between rail and stage, isn't it? But the advantage of Adams side is dat you're not looking at the back of Larry when they're on the E-stage. So which side is better?
There was a camera rolling on Edge's side too, back and forth constantly.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Thoughts on the new vinyl remasters?
« Last post by NotComingDown on May 22, 2018, 07:16:10 AM »
I have HTDAAB and ATYCLB, and they sound GREAT. Super clean and quiet - everything in the mix is easy to hear and comes through clearly. Nothing is noticeably different - these seem like true remasters, not remixes like most big "remasters" are these days.

I have an original vinyl of POP, which sounds terrible, like they just stuck the CD master on a record - it's loud and boomy, and my turntable has a wimpy cartridge and distorts in spots. Going to pick up the remaster soon and see how it is, hoping it got the same treatment.

General U2 Discussion / Re: Your experience with reinventions?
« Last post by Johnny Feathers on May 22, 2018, 07:14:46 AM »
I got on board starting with the Joshua Tree, sometime around 1989.  That gave me enough time to become obsessed with the band, and snap up their entire catalog before rumors of their next album finally started happening.  I was a bit late to the party, but was fully familiar with their 80's stuff before Achtung Baby came out.  It blew me away.  The Fly became my new favorite song, and basically remains as my favorite song of theirs, period.  I loved the irreverence, the sound, the dark lyrics....everything.  Seeing Zoo TV only amplified all of that.

Truthfully, Zooropa wasn't my thing at first--it seemed a little TOO weird, and didn't rock the way Achtung Baby did.  I actually thought it was a significant misstep at the time.  (I remember watching the Achtung Baby video collection where Edge says "I don't believe our best work is behind us, I think it's in front of us...", and I would jokingly add, after my disappointment with Zooropa, "yeah....way, way ahead of you!"  I've come to love it, though, and it's probably one of my favorites of theirs by this point.  Truly U2's sci-fi album.

ATYCLB was another disappointment to some degree.  I was excited for the album, ready for something new....but while I really tried convincing myself I liked it, and I truly did love the tour, there was always an impression that the album was just kind of....boring.  I won't criticize them for doing something different, which they very likely needed to do at the time.  But I'll admit, I mostly only play that album when I'm feeling somewhat nostalgic, and not because I love the album.
Tours / Re: **SPOILERS** Tour: opening sequence
« Last post by miryclay on May 22, 2018, 07:10:58 AM »
Willie mixes Indian and Mexican. It's a fusion restaurant.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: October: Retrospecitve
« Last post by Argo on May 22, 2018, 06:31:32 AM »
Listened to the album a couple of times. Had been a while. It actually holds up better than I remember. No stand out stuff other than perhaps Gloria but is actually a pretty consistent album, in a good way. Second half maybe not quite so strong but if this is the worst a band has to offer and as a second album, they are travelling pretty well.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: If you love 13, sell me on it
« Last post by Argo on May 22, 2018, 06:29:13 AM »
Nah, yeah, no Nah. Doesn't work for me. Finish with Love is Bigger and put this on the PA for the walk out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10