Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
General U2 Discussion / Re: Nice to hear Bono get complimented
« Last post by shineinthesummernight on January 08, 2019, 12:46:34 PM »
Some very idiosyncratic choices.  Lou Gramm ahead of Robert Plant?!  Surely Bono belongs in the top ten, but yes, nice to see him get some recognition.
News and Rumors / Re: Looooong Bono interview, Chicago, 6th Dec
« Last post by shineinthesummernight on January 08, 2019, 12:39:44 PM »
He may be a pain at times, but he's curious, intelligent, and loyal to a fault I do believe.  Someone like that inspires unconditional love.
News and Rumors / Re: Looooong Bono interview, Chicago, 6th Dec
« Last post by Luzita on January 08, 2019, 10:21:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
God he must be a pain in the ass.

Yes, Iíve sometimes thought about this. He must often be quite insufferable. Yet his friends and family have all stuck by him, which goes to show how much he has going for him on the positive side of the ledger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General U2 Discussion / Nice to hear Bono get complimented
« Last post by jules on January 08, 2019, 04:57:47 AM »
At a time when I only seem to read hate about Bono it's nice to hear some nice things. When I started watching this video I assumed Bono wouldn't be included - he aint cool enough for the musos! But you could see that the presenter's (Rick's) experience in 1992 had really meant something to him... and this guy *really* knows his stuff about music:

The good stuff is at 11mins but it's worth watching the whole video to get a context of the singers he's comparing Bono to  8)
General Music Discussion / Kind of U2, kind of not...
« Last post by mikegraff on January 07, 2019, 07:41:21 PM »
So, this is kind of U2, but it kind of isn't. 

I just released a collection of lullaby versions of U2 songs under the moniker Lullaby Encore - you can hear the album at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This is a gift to my kids (7, 3, and 1), especially my younger two, to give them something peaceful to listen to but also share these amazing U2 songs with them at an early age.

I've been a big fan of lullaby covers for quite some time, for some reason, and although I liked the U2 ones out there, none of them seemed "chill" to me.  So I went ahead and made one of my own.  All appropriate mechanical royalties will be earned by the songwriters/publishers, of course.  :)

I hope those of you with younger kids or grandkids can enjoy this collection.  Feedback is always appreciated.  Thanks!
New Member Introductions / New here, but lifelong fan
« Last post by mikegraff on January 07, 2019, 07:37:56 PM »
Hey all!

Just joined @U2, but have been a U2 fan for decades.  I make music full-time and consider U2 to be one of my main all-time influences in many ways.  Been to four shows (all have been great, but need to get to more!).

I also just released a collection of lullaby versions of U2 songs - you can hear them at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  This is a gift to my kids (7, 3, and 1), especially my younger two, to give them something peaceful to listen to but also share these amazing U2 songs with them at an early age.

Glad to be here and join the party with all of you!
Yes. If U2 sold their soul and collabed with Niall Horan or Harry Styles, they'd have a big radio hit. gooyow is a melodious tune, like Beautiful Day.

If they gave a single-worthy song to young cutie Elijah Hewson's band... Well idk how easy it is for an almost complete unknown face to break into Ryan Seacrest's top 40.
General Music Discussion / Re: the 5 songs rocking your world right now
« Last post by shineinthesummernight on January 07, 2019, 09:19:31 AM »
"New Gold Dream" Simple Minds
"This Fear of Gods" Simple Minds
"Moment of Surrender" U2
"Carry On" Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
"Paradise City" Guns n Roses
General U2 Discussion / Re: What kind of music will U2 make going forward?
« Last post by World71R on January 06, 2019, 09:32:27 PM »
No matter what the band does, I'd like to see them stick with one set production team of 1-3 producers, from start to finish, and not having reworkings or tweaks made after they have an album ready.

We've seen this happen with each of the past three albums where the band has worked with Eno & Lanois on NLOTH, Danger Mouse on SOI, and Thomas/Barlow/Tedder on SOE, but then gone and worked with others to re-work the songs with Lillywhite (NLOTH, SOE) and a plethora of other producers to make things perfect. They need to work with who they have and once they get to what they feel is a finished product, they need to leave it alone and release it. Each of the last three albums just feel too hamfisted at times, especially SOE with around 10 different producers each having a hand in the work, and it distorts the overall sound and messages they're trying to go for. Their best, and most interesting, albums were done with a set group, pretty much from start to finish, to where the sound and messages were thought-out and realized to the very end. I believe the pre-release comments that say the stuff sounds like Achtung Baby or Zooropa or the band being as fully-focused as they were with ATYCLB, but all of the tinkering just kills it.

Effectively, they need a producer who can tell them no or that it's just fine and for the band to be more confident in what they have. Although there's works in the past decade that are great despite the tinkering, they didn't make great music for 25 years by tinkering every last little bit of what they have. Experimenting, yes, but not perfecting things to a point where it all gets distorted and wrong. That's their biggest flaw over the last decade and what they need to avoid with the next release.
General U2 Discussion / Re: What kind of music will U2 make going forward?
« Last post by World71R on January 06, 2019, 09:03:31 PM »
Yes, it is true that all their albums can be labeled "rock music", and that is what I want from them, but the same band that made "Mysterious Ways" and MOFO also made "Your The Best Thing About Me".  I think "Your The Best Thing About Me" more than anything makes SOE feel like a "pop rock" album.  I guess you could also include "Love Is All We Have Left" and "Get Out Of Your Own Way" and "Landlady".  I don't mind "Get Out Of Your Own Way", but the other two should have been left off the album. (I'm not a fan of "The Showman" either.)  Even though I like SOE, I think it would have gotten a lot more respect if you replace those songs with a couple good rock songs.  Then you might have a Grammy nominated rock album. 

Anyway, I sure hope they get away from the SOI/SOE formula on the next album.  They need to find a way to find some way to change things up and be more creative.  I realize they are not going to make AB, Zooropa, or Pop again, but hopefully they have a similar creative mindset when they enter the studio for the next album.

I agree with you on this, except for the point about Landlady and Love is All We Have Left. I think they both have rightful places. Landlady is the perfect song after the huge musical and emotional climax of The Little Things..., while LIAWHL is a nice opening hymn that creates a beautiful atmosphere to set the tone for the album. I can see an idea like having it build to a Streets-like climax or doing like what Coldplay did with Midnight where it starts slow, has a fantastic, all-encapsulating electronic climax and then descends back to where it started but leaves an amazing aura behind it. LIAWHL could've definitely done that, but I think it works, especially with 13, a similar song, book-ending the album.

I think The Blackout is a bit out of place and should come earlier in the album. Landlady into The Blackout feels abrupt, whereas Landlady into Love is Bigger... makes more sense with the rising intro of Love is Bigger...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10