Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
News and Rumors / Re: 1981 footage unearthed
« Last post by Moonstarsky on August 12, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Eli has a tougher road, not easier, because he is in the shadow of his father no matter what he does. He needs space to find himself and make his own mistakes, but that's very hard to do when people are constantly measuring you against your father instead of just taking you as you are.

Ask Julian Lennon whether it's easier or harder being an artist with John Lennon as your father. Even now, after he has made his own contributions, everyone sees John Lennon's Son, not Julian. (Fortunately I believe Bono was a much, much better father, at least.)

Kids of famous parents have it extremely tough trying to establish a career. They get questioned a little to often about the famous parent/sibling instead of attention being given to the proper person. Eleven years ago, we went to see The Police Reunion Tour, we had no idea that the opening act was Stings son's band. Sting himself mentioned it, and so did my local rock radio station.

I do believe that Bono is a good father, just the fact that his daughter's birthday is the same as his, and he focuses his attention on celebrating her birthday and ignores his own, proves he has his priorities right.
« Last post by laoghaire on August 12, 2018, 10:13:20 AM »
Eli has a tougher road, not easier, because he is in the shadow of his father no matter what he does. He needs space to find himself and make his own mistakes, but that's very hard to do when people are constantly measuring you against your father instead of just taking you as you are.

Ask Julian Lennon whether it's easier or harder being an artist with John Lennon as your father. Even now, after he has made his own contributions, everyone sees John Lennon's Son, not Julian. (Fortunately I believe Bono was a much, much better father, at least.)
Tours / Re: U2 Stadium tour southern hemisphere Feb 2019?
« Last post by podiumboy on August 12, 2018, 10:08:35 AM »
I still say U2’s reluctance to go to Australia is Guy’s fault.  He is also Madonna’s manager, and her last tour in Australia flopped hard!  I think the fear is tthat U2 aren’t in demand enough to go to Australia, Japan, Singapore, etc, and charge what would be necessary.  They sold immensely well on the Vertigo Tour in Australia.  The 360 Tour was a bit of a disappointment, sales wise, in Australia, except in Perth.  I wouldn’t be surprised if that leg lost money. 

The JT Tour would’ve been perfect for Australia.  The production wasn’t nearly as extravagant as 360, and the demand would’ve been stronger for that than the IE Tour.  They should’ve gone to Australia instead of that unnecessary 2nd NA leg.  Wasted opportunity.
« Last post by laoghaire on August 12, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »
The only mistake I saw was the dancing. And, oh boy.

Sure, the rest was a hot mess. But punk is a hot mess. It was brilliantly done.
« Last post by 73October on August 12, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »

Hence why U2 have toured the US constantly (4 legs in 3 years). While us in the southern hemispere get screwed with ZERO shows. Bring on 2020, & the end of the Live Nation contract!

That's if the rumours aren't true.  Otherwise, 10 more years.  Unless there is a clause in the contract that can allow them to play a specific number of non-Live Nation owned venues.
« Last post by 73October on August 12, 2018, 09:08:35 AM »
Brilliant footage,  I've had a good chuckle at that and watched it back.  It's hilarious in places.  Was it the Riverdance auditions in the instrumental break?!

On a few occasions, I saw Eli in young Bono's face and stage presence - but thought that Eli could never mess up as spectacularly greatly as his dad - because his dad being first had no one to follow.  Bob Hewson was an theatrical tenor (funny how Bono can do that now...). Eli is in a young rock band, just like his father 37 years previously, so he can see all those mistakes and try to avoid them.
« Last post by d.darroch on August 12, 2018, 02:11:01 AM »
I was listening to this interview today with Attie Van Wyk, the CEO of Big Concerts. They are the biggest tour promoters in South Africa. All major international tours are done by Big Concerts. Big Concerts promoted both U2's last two tours to South Africa.

There's your ploblem there. Live Nation tries very hard to get U2 to spend the majority of their time touring in markets with Live Nation owned venues, where Live Nation are the major promoters.

Hence why U2 have toured the US constantly (4 legs in 3 years). While us in the southern hemispere get screwed with ZERO shows. Bring on 2020, & the end of the Live Nation contract!

As others have mentioned, Adam has recently stated that the band are planning a break after Europe, with no plans to continue touring any time soon.
Fun and Games / Re: A-Z U2 songs
« Last post by kevtn43 on August 11, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »
Gone
The Band / Re: Bono's CV / Resume
« Last post by Moonstarsky on August 11, 2018, 05:41:34 PM »
Hmm, dead thread. I'll add:

Bono doesn't have a college or university degree besides what was awarded to him by Harvard. Ok, let's have some fun.

1. Published lyricist
2. Poet
3. Philanthropist
4. Founder of the ONE foundation
5. Feminist
6. Investor
7. Capitalist
8. Influential and has enough clout to be seen and heard by President's, Prime Minister's, World leaders and alike.
9. Married, with 4 children, highly successful, artist, highly influenced by his childhood and wants to see a better world.
10. Has been known to walk the streets and play his guitar for change for the heck of it.
11. Seems grateful for what life has given him.
General U2 Discussion / Re: How would a Comedy Central Roast of Bono go?
« Last post by Moonstarsky on August 11, 2018, 05:17:48 PM »

Henry Rollins is both funny clever and may I say just enough of rough around the edges.  Of course you'd also need the Edge to do one of his "I'd like to thank Batman" speeches. Larry to tell us, how HE was the leader and started the band and how Bono walked in and took it over. We'd need one of the Gallagher, to give us more fyi, on a particular night when they partied for close to 24 hrs. And of course, the Virgin Prunes since they've been friends since kids and his buds.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10