Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Tours / Re: *SPOILERS* - A former hardcore fan goes to Omaha
« Last post by laoghaire on May 21, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »
What happened with a wooden spoon?

I just watched 13 (Omaha) - wow, he sounds amazing.
At least 1 of them came out each day to greet fans in LA. Someone told me that 3pm local time seems to be a regular occurrence.
I was about an hour later and they were clearly already gone. They have supposedly been very gracious and patient with fans, talking, signing, photos. Good luck in my home town!
Tours / Re: Where to stand for GA tix - Nashville
« Last post by desertrat on May 21, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »
In LA I loved being at the top of the B stage, just a bit off from center (no jokes please). Not much of a big screen view from there but I was in seats the night before so was ok with that. From this perspective it's the band very much up close and personal. I was 1 person from the rail. Enjoy!
« Last post by miryclay on May 21, 2018, 04:12:25 PM »
The highlights of Omaha were the wooden spoon during UTEOTW, the Stormy Daniels reference and Gloria.
Tours / Re: Blackout live
« Last post by scrittoresabino on May 21, 2018, 04:04:41 PM »
I loved everything about the Blackout live.

It skillfully builds anticipation. You can hear the crowd reactions before, after and DURING the performance, in many of the videos. Most of the time you mainly hear the reactions at beginning and end, unless its a sing along, or special in some manner. Blackout is not much of a sing a long. The visuals are quite awesome. I've seen bands do the silhouette in other concerts. Its always done rather simplistically and for a very short period. On e+i it is performed brilliantly. Doing it for most of the song has a great positive impact. On a side note, there is nothing about the method execution or design that illicits any particular era. Firstly I love the choice to not make the visuals purely a direct silhouette, as stated, this has been done before. The visuals correlate to the song and band members, however, it does not just mimic their movements. The figures on screen go beyond this, they pop in and out, and they change size and shape. There is an elasticity that is purposeful and relevant (as stated, they could have easily just kept the basic shape of the band members, but a conscious choice is made to bend and twist, and go in and out.). They not only press against the screen but in some instances "tear" across it, causing rips/ripples in the white. There are also areas and moments where more detail is shown and they are not just silhouettes, again raising this above this typical use.

Artistically, these design choices all have meaning and impact. It is not coincidence that the shows starts with an MRI, then goes into a performance showing only Bono, raised above the catwalk and crowd, sing Love is All We Have Left. His movements are stiff, lights are above and below him, then... Blackout. We see silhouettes, glimpses of the band trying to break free. The imagery is still above the catwalk. Finally towards the end the screen rises, the band is grounded, on the catwalk, and are revealed right when "Blackout, it's clear, who you are will appear" kicks in. They performance is layered. It has more visual meaning than an Elevation or Vertigo, yet packs as much punch, if not more.

The performance shows a skill and mastery of building anticipation and setting the scene.(ie Jaws is effective in large part because you DONT see the shark) Right from the start, the band reveal that this is NOT going to be a typical show. Many casual fans were still looking to the Main stage at the beginning, despite the giant screen dividing the audience. This is what they are so accustomed to. This also sets the stage, literally and figuratively of not knowing exactly where to look, but the song/performance will lead you there. Pride also uses "staging" to create a feeling of chaos (in a manner that anything can happen) and immersiveness. Blackout sets the stage. it effectively informs the audience of what they are about to experience, while still fully delivering on its own message. It does so with an adept use of anticipation, that not only builds the energy but serves the song's tone and meaning. They weren't going to reveal themselves until it made sense in the song (noted earlier). You can hear the crowd react at various moments DURING the song, not merely at the usual beginning and end.

I can't wait see videos of this in Europe and if/when they take it to South America and Australia, all of which seem to have much better audiences (that being said, you can still hear the US crowds react, they just don't move that much in comparison)
« Last post by scrittoresabino on May 21, 2018, 03:15:45 PM »
awesome review!  Happy you went, got GA, and it made you want to see them more.

I agree on Bono's voice. I've been to a few shows on previous tours where he struggled on some songs. For the most part it had not negatively impacted the show much, as they are adept at adjustments, using the crowd and backing vocals as well. But it did impact upon listening to recordings afterwards. Bono's voice is doing mostly great on this tour.
The Band / Re: Does Bono still smoke?
« Last post by vanvooh on May 21, 2018, 03:11:08 PM »
This is true.  I know because I had a heart attack a few years ago and quit smoking cold turkey the day I was admitted to the ICU for my heart attack. However, the extra weight and bein the most inactive/sedentary I have ever been have really hurt my health. I have gone back to smoking but my doctors including my cardiologist have really stressed that my weight and lack of movement are a bigger concern to them....
General U2 Discussion / Re: Your experience with reinventions?
« Last post by laoghaire on May 21, 2018, 03:10:31 PM »
It's funny you say AB was easy and Zooropa less so. I needed a minute for AB. But once I had AB under my belt, Zooropa, while it's a different sound for sure, felt like a natural extension of AB.

I only recently discovered (here) people had trouble with Pop. No problems here! I don't know if it helped that my best friend at the time was European and into the techno scene. Or maybe that's irrelevant.

Bomb is like side B to Behind? Hmm. Ok, I said I didn't have a problem with behind but I was talking about the first half. But since Bomb is the only album that, uh, bombed for me, I'll agree with your analogy, lol.

I don't know how much the trilogy idea holds up but it does seem to be a thing for 20th century stuff at least. ATYCLB and HTDAAB probably go together but NLOTH might or might not. SOI and SOE do go together (even beyond the thematic tie) even though there is a bit of a difference to the sound.
Fun and Games / Re: A-Z U2 songs
« Last post by kevtn43 on May 21, 2018, 02:53:27 PM »
Vertigo
News and Rumors / Re: Should U2 re-evaluate their devotion to Aung San Suu Kyi?
« Last post by Saint22 on May 21, 2018, 02:48:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mary C,

I have visited Palestine, been to Gaza, the West Bank, East Jerusalam, Tel Aviv for years I know a lot about the conflict.  I have seen at first hand the treatement of Palestinians by the Israel.

God did not give the jews Israel...the United Kingdom did...sorry to go off topic here..but what right did the UK have to give the Jews someone else's country?

I am not a supporter of Hamas.

Anyways that's I have to say on this matter..

Peace & Love to all..

The Bonzo

This is an old comment, but I'll ask it to anyone else who holds this opinion:

Can someone explain to me why it is Israel's obligation to return conquered land? Let's take this back:

The region was called JUDEA, i.e., the land of the Jews.
The region was conquered back and forth in antiquity until finally being taken by the Roman Empire.
The Romans re-named the place Palestine as an insult to the Jews.
The Romans eventually burned and sacked Jerusalem.
Arabs took the land after Rome and held it for centuries.
The Middle East backed Nazi Germany in World War II. Google why Iran is no longer called Persia.
When the Axis powers were defeated, they lost their land. There's nothing unusual about this at all. Land loss is a consequence of losing a war or backing the wrong side.
Israel is established in 1948.
Israel repels several attempts at invasion, returning taken land each time.
Israel's neighbors constantly harass and threaten them with destruction. Hamas grows in the disputed territory. Arafat is offered everything he ever asked for and more, and at the last minute demands Jerusalem. something he knew he could never have. Rather than take in refugees or offer humanitarian support, Iran arms Hamas so it can continue to harass and kill Jews.

I am having a hard time understanding why Israel is the bad guy in this plot. Palestine ceased to exist because of the racist actions of its Arab neighbors. So you tell me who is responsible for the suffering of these displaced refugees.

So how is this land any less Israel's than anyone else? Wars have consequences. The Axis Powers lost. They lost land. The End.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]