Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
General U2 Discussion / Re: U2 Dad jokes
« Last post by Marvinho on Today at 11:06:31 AM »
How does Bono spell colour?
Depends, it could be with or without u.

I'll get me coat.
News and Rumors / Re: U2 makes top 10 on charts
« Last post by Droo on Today at 10:23:53 AM »
The best ever U2 remix is, of course, the Perfecto remix of Lemon.

The Zooromancer remix of Salome is also ace.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
STAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not a church or a bingo hall! Its a rock concert! A Rock concert by U2!

At the 2nd Washington D.C. show last night at the Capital One arena, the Upper Level and Mid-Level sections were sitting down for most of the show. WHAT THE HELL!? This show was being filmed for a DVD/Blue Ray release! This is the first time in U2's career that I have ever seen people sitting down at a U2 show in large numbers. There were even some people in the lower level sections that were sitting occasionally, but in general the lower level sections were up on their feet.

Why don't you just let people do what they want?  If they want to sit, let them. Don't think that just because they are sitting they aren't enjoying the show in their own way. I'm sure the band could care less, they have enough confidence in themselves that they don't need the crowd to stand to give them validation.

I still remember when Kanye West demanded that a guy in a wheelchair stood at his show.  U2's audience is aging.  It's fine to get up and let the music move you, it's also fine to stay in your seat and enjoy the ride.

Standing is a form of respect for the artist at a Rock Concert and has been for decades. Whole sections sitting at a U2 concert has never happened before. The band desire the crowd to be into the show and to actively participate by singing, dancing, and of course standing. At several points in the first Philly show a couple of weeks ago, Bono had to motion to the crowd to get them to dance and cheer which is unfortunate. It does indeed matter to them and impacts their performance. Its an emotional spiritual thing.

So once again, this is not a movie theater, a church, a bingo hall, or your couch at home. STAND UP!!!!!

By the way, were you sitting at the show?

I haven't gone to my show yet, but I will sit if I feel like sitting.  If I wanted to stand for the whole show, I would have gotten a ticket on the floor.  If you ever been on a stage like I have, you really can't see who is and who isn't sitting past the first few rows.  I'm pretty sure the band doesn't walk backstage disappointed because not everybody stood up. 

I'm not that kind of jerk to ask someone in front of me to sit down.  So don't be that guy telling me I have to stand.  You enjoy it your way and I'll enjoy it my way. Sorry if my sitting makes you uncomfortable.

General U2 Discussion / Re: What is next for U2 after E & I tour?
« Last post by Vox on Today at 10:06:15 AM »
I voted "new album in 3 years or more."  I can't imagine U2 does anything at all next year, after being so busy with two new albums and three tours in four years.  That being the case, maybe they get around to seriously recording new stuff in 2020...  Then two to four more years in the studio, with many breaks and many producers...  So new album in 2022-2024 or so.

ALTERNATE OPTIMISTIC SCENERIO: 
They're sitting on Songs of Ascent and it's nearly ready to go.   It's a slower, more ambient album, and as such they have no intention of touring it, because it would be too difficult.  They release that album in the next 0-2 years, but no tour.
PROS FOR THIS IDEA: 
They've been talking about this album since 2010...  There have been rumors they have been working on three albums simultaneously since 2010... 
CONS:
Adam Clayton said U2 would be elderly gentleman by the time the next album is released, so I don't think anything is coming.   

ALTERNATE PESSEMISTIC SCENERIO:
They retire, and this is it... 
PROS FOR THIS IDEA: Songs of Experience probably didn't sell as much as they would have liked, lacked a hit song, and some of the tour dates were a bit sluggish to sell seats.
CONS FOR THIS IDEA:  If they're going to retire, they need to go out playing a huge tour in stadiums, not arenas, so....   

TOUR IN LESS THAN THREE YEARS SCENERIO:
As I said, if they do decide to retire, I think they would feel that they'd have to go out with a big stadium tour, not in arenas.  I'm not sure, at this stage in their career, that they could do this solely behind a brand new album, so instead they would need to:
a) Do a 30th anniversary Achtung Baby tour -- but I don't think this is likely.
b) Do a greatest hits/farewell tour -- at once, unimaginable, but I do think this would be more likely.
« Last post by rlabs19 on Today at 09:57:56 AM »
Album in >3 years (my guess is 4-5 years), AB 30th anniversary tour in 2021.
STAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not a church or a bingo hall! Its a rock concert! A Rock concert by U2!

At the 2nd Washington D.C. show last night at the Capital One arena, the Upper Level and Mid-Level sections were sitting down for most of the show. WHAT THE HELL!? This show was being filmed for a DVD/Blue Ray release! This is the first time in U2's career that I have ever seen people sitting down at a U2 show in large numbers. There were even some people in the lower level sections that were sitting occasionally, but in general the lower level sections were up on their feet.

Why don't you just let people do what they want?  If they want to sit, let them. Don't think that just because they are sitting they aren't enjoying the show in their own way. I'm sure the band could care less, they have enough confidence in themselves that they don't need the crowd to stand to give them validation.

I still remember when Kanye West demanded that a guy in a wheelchair stood at his show.  U2's audience is aging.  It's fine to get up and let the music move you, it's also fine to stay in your seat and enjoy the ride.

Standing is a form of respect for the artist at a Rock Concert and has been for decades. Whole sections sitting at a U2 concert has never happened before. The band desire the crowd to be into the show and to actively participate by singing, dancing, and of course standing. At several points in the first Philly show a couple of weeks ago, Bono had to motion to the crowd to get them to dance and cheer which is unfortunate. It does indeed matter to them and impacts their performance. Its an emotional spiritual thing.

So once again, this is not a movie theater, a church, a bingo hall, or your couch at home. STAND UP!!!!!

By the way, were you sitting at the show?
« Last post by laoghaire on Today at 09:52:07 AM »
I'm thinking an album in 3 years.
Itís impossible to know if the vast majority of the E + I attendees are casual fans, die-hards or something in between, but I see this as a slow change that started in 2009 with 360.

The casual fans come out when the band is more popular and in demand. This is not one of the bands more popular moments. Based on attendance and rate of ticket sales when their released, this feels more like a POPMART moment. POPMART was seen by Die Hards. The Casuals stayed home leading to half empty stadiums in some markets. The two tours for the latest two albums find the band in the same spot and its likely that the ratio of die hards to casuals is about the same as it was on POPMART. I don't have hard evidence to prove all that, but I suspect its largely correct.

Agreed that the vast majority of POPMARTís attendees were die-hards, but I challenge the comparison of 1997 to 2015-18 considering how different the music and concert industries are today. Itís all about touring and, to millions of consumers, itís all about nostalgia. There are still lots of people out there who havenít seen U2 and theyíre now taking advantage of their numerous chances, especially in the big cities. They see their ads on their FB or Instagram feed (or an email from TM or Live Nation) and think, let me check them off the list. The influx of casual fans has in no way slowed. How about 1 final Club tour and letís end it where it started? Iíll start saving up for that right now.

IF the influx of casuals had not slowed, U2 would be playing stadiums on every stop of this tour. Its simple math. The Die Hards see every tour including Popmart. When U2 are able to get the casuals to come out, that forces the band to play stadiums to meet demand. In order for there to be a lot of casual fans in the arenas for this tour, there would have to be a lot of "Die Hard " fans who did not go to this tour. But if you did not go to see this tour when you had the chance, your not a "Die Hard", your a casual fan at best.

The 360 tour did so well because because everyone from Die Hards, Casuals, and some general public went to see it. With this latest tour, this is the first time U2 has had to curtain off the upper level seating in area in major cities like Washington D.C. and Philadelphia because they did not sell enough tickets. To the small degree that you would have ANY casual fans at this show, they would have tickets in the upper level behind the stage. Yet, that is where U2 has had trouble selling tickets on this arena tour, the spots that casual fans would normally get on an arena tour.
General U2 Discussion / What is next for U2 after E & I tour?
« Last post by gasface257 on Today at 09:38:31 AM »
What is U2's most likely next move
General U2 Discussion / Re: U2 Dad jokes
« Last post by GoldenStateGirl on Today at 09:36:02 AM »
Husband and I have separate but equal memories of being teen U2 fans in the late 80s. When R&H came out and was on heavy rotation, my mom (and somewhere across town, future hubbyís dad) joked, ďHavenít they found what theyíre looking for yet?Ē

GROAN
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10