Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
The Band / Re: Bono's Best Vocal Moments
« Last post by laoghaire on Today at 07:26:43 PM »
I like that too.

I also like how he sings "and all my innocence has died" in Little Things, his voice almost just a breath on "died." And then "swarming" - pure art, literally singing that swarming. And "covers me in fear" actually sends a chill through me, as his voice catches a little.
News and Rumors / Re: Bono meets Pope Francis
« Last post by laoghaire on Today at 07:16:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And yet, doesn't it make sense that the powers of darkness would strike hardest at the Church?  Is this a reason to give up on it?

My reply might be a little weird but:

1) Like Luzita, I'm not Catholic (just a non-believing agnostic), but have some background there. I think if Catholicism is any part of you, even 0.5%, you can never really shed it.

2) If people abandon the church, then its enemy has won. I agree with you.

3) But, if we continue to accept this, the enemy has won. The only thing that is moving the needle at all is people leaving the church in disgust. Not that we have gotten where we need to go, by far, but I do think that finally this is loud enough and won't go away.

If there are people in the church who are not the instigators of violence against people (preying on children sexually or corporally, or on unwed mothers and their babies) yet try to hush it up and not stand up resolutely to it - and I hope the Pope is at least in this category rather than a perpetrator - I can only think they are being hung up by the idea that it will break the church to admit its authority was imperfect in any way. It's baked into the doctrine. If they do what they must do, they feel that will crumble the church.

They don't understand that it's their hubris that has already crumbled the church - not admitting to it, but the hubris itself. The church is made up of people, and the people are not divine. Only God. Telling us that the people of the church are not to be questioned is what led directly to this evil.

So they will sink the whole ship if they cling stubbornly to that.

Pope Francis seems like a lovely guy but he really doesn't get that Jesus would not have worried about the rules of a damn church over God's law. With all that Jesus said and did, could Pope Francis really believe for one second that he would have backed the church over an abused child?

And Jesus said Peter would be his rock - but didn't say, "I shall set you and the men who succeed you above all others, and I will create a line of cardinals and bishops and priests who no man shall question, and their word shall be as good as mine."

We humans messed that up and we've got to fix it, and fix it RIGHT, not half-assed.
« Last post by shineinthesummernight on Today at 06:26:51 PM »
One moment (among many I would say) is "Love is All We Have Left":  "all we have is immortality".  Bono's voice has a very full and rich timbre; he sounds very joy-filled in this moment.
« Last post by shineinthesummernight on Today at 06:24:45 PM »
And yet, doesn't it make sense that the powers of darkness would strike hardest at the Church?  Is this a reason to give up on it?
« Last post by Luzita on Today at 06:21:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have given up on Pope Francis. He seems wonderful, but there's something wrong. He has consistently played the party line on the church abuses, to a shocking degree. I hope Bono made the Pope rethink. Also, the future of the church literally depends on it.
I feel the same way. Not that I consider myself a Catholic exactly, I consider myself sort of generic Christian, but I come from a Catholic background so I feel attached. And distressed that the corruption in the hierarchy is so so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General U2 Discussion / Re: Ticketmaster Scalping Us
« Last post by laoghaire on Today at 05:57:35 PM »
Does greed know no bounds?
The Band / Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Last post by laoghaire on Today at 05:52:30 PM »
Peace to you, miryclay.  ;)
« Last post by laoghaire on Today at 05:50:52 PM »
Well, my top pick was RFD, but Iris, California, Little Things, and Landlady were all standouts to me. Landlady is one of the few top picks of mine that isn't a "belter." I just really like the sound of his voice in it, especially on the "and I"ll never know" etc. part.
The Band / Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Last post by miryclay on Today at 05:50:11 PM »
I tried to present someone's public opinion on a relevant topic. If you were savvy enough you could critique it and convince us the poster was wrong. Evidently you can't.
General U2 Discussion / Re: Ticketmaster Scalping Us
« Last post by dwaltman on Today at 05:44:24 PM »
Would love to see U2 and other artists speak out about this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10