Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Tours / Re: How many U2 shows have you seen?
« Last post by touringband on Today at 12:54:50 PM »
15 Concerts Attended  (5 countries)

my only regret is not seeing Elevation but they never brought it to Australia!  (Clowns!)

02/25/1998 PopMart - Brisbane
11/07/2006 Vertigo - Brisbane
11/10/2006 Vertigo - Sydney
11/13/2006 Vertigo - Sydney
11/18/2006 Vertigo - Melbourne
11/19/2006 Vertigo - Melbourne
09/20/2009 360 - Boston
05/29/2011 360 - Winnipeg
07/20/2011 360 - NJ
07/18/2015 I-E - New York
07/23/2015 I-E - New York
07/27/2015 I-E - New York
07/30/2015 I-E - New York
11/28/2015 I-E - Dublin
07/25/2017 JTT 2017 - Paris
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Ranking the SOE songs
« Last post by SwimmingSorrows on Today at 12:47:55 PM »
Love:

The Little Things That Give You Away (One of their best ever songs, late career classic)
Red Flag Day (Fantastic rock song, see above)
Summer of Love (Catchy, a bit weird, political in a good way)
13 (just beautiful)

Like a lot but have minor issues like a lyric that isn't very good:

The Showman (it's so much fun and sounds totally weird for them, but the birthday cake line is meh)
Love is All We Have Left (opening line isn't great, but it's a fantastic song)
Lights of Home (Strings) ("name" and "going" don't rhyme, and it's in the chorus)

Like but have some noticeable flaws or are a bit forgettable:

Get Out of Your Own Way (I like the flow of the verses a lot, chorus is meh, and it sounds too ATYCLB)
The Blackout (Name stuff is really distracting, especially as mine is one of them, but that bass riff, the guitar towards the end, so good)
Landlady (Good when it's on, but I never seek it out, not that memorable)
Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way (I'm not bothered by the sentimentality, but the verses seem short, and it kind of sounds like he's running out of steam on the howls in the refrain)

sh**:

You're the Best Thing About Me (chorus is so cringe, and the Edge's bridge has some of the worst lyrics U2 have ever written)

Utter sh**:

American Soul (Was so excited that the part on XXX was gonna be on this album, but then they turned that awesome, soulful jam into a stupid, overblown c*** rock song with no structure, and then they released it as a f****** single and played it on television)
Tours / Re: Only 2 L.A. shows?
« Last post by Saint22 on Today at 12:03:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1. Over-saturation of that market.
2. Ticket prices.
3. Less and less general interest for new U2 music.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be an Australian U2 fan lately. No I+E tour. No TJT anniversary tour. And now the E+I tour cranks up again in the US. But I would totally understand why a general U2 fan (as opposed to a hardcore one) would pass on seeing them play for the third time in 3 years...

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

Hopefully, TJT will be the last time they try to play stadiums. They got away with last year because they were touring behind TJT. The only way that I see that they could ever tour stadiums again would be if they did an Achtung Baby/ZooTV retrospective like they did with TJT. If they had tried to play stadiums this time out, they were be playing to some 60 percent-sold venues in some markets in the US.

I can't speak to Europe, but just about every act is seeing some declining sales in the US. It's a combination of an aging fan base, high prices and people having seen so many of these bands many times already.
Oh, I hope that St. Louis won't be full of 80s tunes. Don't get me wrong...I love the songs. And even though this will be my first U2 concert (I got tickets for JTT but couldn't make it), I don't feel like I'll be missing out by not hearing any JT songs. I'd love to hear a set filled with songs from the AB-SOE.
Have you ever known U2 to go out of their way to give a city a vastly different show than any other stop on the tour for any reason at all?

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, go into this show expecting anything other than the usual or you are setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Paris had a show delayed because of a freaking terrorist attack, and they got the same show with a special guest at the end.

The one show that comes to mind is during the 360 tour when they did their Glastonbury setlist in Anaheim

Yeah, but I have seen this happen with other bands on other boards. Someone will say 'Hey! Do you think (band name) will do something different because ____________' and the answer is almost always no. I honestly sometimes we, the fans, put more thought into this stuff than most bands do.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: Wake Up Dead Man - UNKLE remix
« Last post by Dali on Today at 11:22:35 AM »
Thank you for posting this one. UNKLE have definitely brought something great to the table here. It's hard to understand as to why this went unreleased at the time. I have to admit I'm usually not fund of remixes but this one is very good because it actually adds to the song instead of deconstructing it and leaving it there like so many other remixes do.
Oh, I hope that St. Louis won't be full of 80s tunes. Don't get me wrong...I love the songs. And even though this will be my first U2 concert (I got tickets for JTT but couldn't make it), I don't feel like I'll be missing out by not hearing any JT songs. I'd love to hear a set filled with songs from the AB-SOE.
Have you ever known U2 to go out of their way to give a city a vastly different show than any other stop on the tour for any reason at all?

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, go into this show expecting anything other than the usual or you are setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Paris had a show delayed because of a freaking terrorist attack, and they got the same show with a special guest at the end.

The one show that comes to mind is during the 360 tour when they did their Glastonbury setlist in Anaheim
The Music and Lyrics / Re: In God's Country
« Last post by Dali on Today at 11:15:04 AM »
Stylistically, "God's Country" is right between "Under A Blood Red Sky" (album) and "Lovetown" (and the Joshua Tree tour, too).
Maybe because U2 are better than Bon Jovi and more successful than Dire Straits.

There are many great or successful bands that don't make the cut for different reasons - I am miffed that the Replacements aren't in. U2 checked all the boxes.
The Music and Lyrics / Re: The Benefit of Taking a Breather
« Last post by Dali on Today at 11:05:42 AM »
When songs get overplayed, they need to be put on hold. Radio does not believe in that concept anymore but it works. I've taken what the original poster calls a breather before, mostly with songs that were also played on the radio. And in most cases, I came to appreciate these songs even more after I listened to them again after the break.
Tours / Re: **Spoilers The Boyz in Laval QC for rehearsals.....**Spoilers
« Last post by Rono on Today at 11:02:40 AM »
Quote from: YouGoOn link=topic=33093.msg1756016#msg1756016
date=1524424262

Yes the Dublin shows are billed as "special homecoming shows" the Joshua tree croke park show was the exact same as the Chicago show about from the flyover and vertigo+the little things being played.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10