Author Topic: Article: The Truth Behind Bono's Sunglasses  (Read 27424 times)

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Airborne Ranger
Article: The Truth Behind Bono's Sunglasses
« on: December 29, 2010, 06:59:35 PM »
This is nothing new about his eye problem, but it does confirm that he wore Emporio Armani 9285 sunglasses at Obama's inaugural concert (because some of you are curious :D)

The Truth Behind Bono's Sunglasses
tucsoneventcalendar.net
December 28, 2010
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

A dark edgy pair of sunglasses only adds to that mysterious aura that surrounds some rock stars. As the old saying goes: “The eyes are the mirror to the soul”. Sunglasses typify an enigmatic coolness which is undeniable in rock ‘n’ roll stars such as Lou Reed and Liam Gallagher. Love him or hate him, there’s no denying U2′s front-man Bono has some of the funkiest taste in eyewear since Dame Edna Everage. Admittedly, this may seem an insignificant topic when you analyse the U2 front man’s achievements in music and global humanitarian work. The Dubliner seems to be constantly sporting a pair of stylish sunglasses. So why does he wear them?

With all Bono has accomplished the shades simply intrigue further. There’s more chance of seeing the Queen skateboarding through Trafalgar Square humming the national anthem than seeing Bono in public without a pair of his treasured shades. In 2005, Bono dubbed himself “the Imelda Marcos of Sunglasses” after the former First Lady of The Philippines who famously owned 3,000 pairs of shoes. Bono has donned an absurd amount of shades down the years. It was back in 1992, Bono posed in a photo shoot as a fictional character known as ‘The Fly’ in which he wore large wraparound sunglasses, this is when he was first properly connected with shades. Bono’s sunglasses may even have a historical significance. He wore Emporio Armani 9285 glasses during President Barack Obama’s inaugural concert.

The singer explained that his eyes have become very sensitive, he said: “If somebody takes my photograph, I will see the flash for the rest of the day. My right eye swells up. It’s part vanity , part privacy and part sensitivity.” Bono has blue eyes. It is common for people with lighter coloured eyes to be more sensitive the bright lights. In fact Bono bears a condition known as Photophobia, which is an above average sensitivity towards light. It is possible to get prescription glasses for cases like these.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 07:01:29 PM by jenniferh »

Offline soloyan

• Party Girl/Boy
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
Re: Article: The Truth Behind Bono's Sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:11:14 AM »
well... it makes sense that, wearing these all the time, he now can't afford to take them off... his eyes can't adjust to light anymore. That's a bit pathetic...

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:32:14 AM »
My eyes (blue green in colour) are also light sensitive, but not to the extent of Bono's.  I do need to wear shades.   When I am outdoors on a sunny day.     

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:35:06 AM »
My eyes (blue green in colour) are also light sensitive, but not to the extent of Bono's.  I do need to wear shades.   When I am outdoors on a sunny day.     

Yep, me too.

And LOL @ "Imelda Marcos of sunglasses".

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • WWW.DRUNK EXPASTORS.COM
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »
Am I the only one who is skeptical about Bono's claim to need to wear sunglasses all the time, even at night? Anyone who has followed U2 for long enough knows that 25% of the stuff he says is either made up or exaggerated. I've wondered for a while now whether he is just stretching the truth in order to always wear shades.

If I'm the only one who thinks so, then I'll be quiet....

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 01:22:48 PM »
Am I the only one who is skeptical about Bono's claim to need to wear sunglasses all the time, even at night? Anyone who has followed U2 for long enough knows that 25% of the stuff he says is either made up or exaggerated. I've wondered for a while now whether he is just stretching the truth in order to always wear shades.

If I'm the only one who thinks so, then I'll be quiet....

No, you're not the only one. When Bono says "part vanity", what he really means is 95% vanity.

Offline sw

• Running to Stand Still
  • At the home office it's always March 2010.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »
Well, I like my rock stars to be a little vain. Or 95% vain.  :D

Besides, I understand because I have had some pretty bad headaches from being out in sun without sunglasses and even at work I remove some of the lighting above my desk.

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • WWW.DRUNK EXPASTORS.COM
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 02:40:02 PM »

Well, I like my rock stars to be a little vain. Or 95% vain.  :D

Ha ha. If the ZooTV Bono had been asked why he always wore shades, he'd come up with some clever quip about how he's too important to behold commoners with the naked eye. You know, something cooler than citing a medical condition.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 03:01:23 PM »
Well, in all the paparazzi photos of Bono 'off duty' (so to speak), hanging out with family etc, he never seems to be wearing sunglasses of any kind. So i think the shades are just part of his 'rock star persona'  ;)

satellitedog01

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 03:12:30 PM »
He is usally wearing shades of sorts, but I can imagine him being oversensitive on a psychological level, when he IS in the public spotlight.
Besides, he spent a significant amount of time in the light of real and real strong spotlights and flashlights too.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:03:44 PM by satellitedog01 »

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 05:33:30 PM »
I was just reading an article that stated that redheads often have a medical condition that makes them far more sensitive to light and to pain.
Hate to say it, but I've seen sooooo many pictures of him I don't know if he's a true redhead or not, but if so, the sensitivity is real. I kinda hope not as that would make his back pain even worse. :(

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 05:41:39 PM »
Well, in all the paparazzi photos of Bono 'off duty' (so to speak), hanging out with family etc, he never seems to be wearing sunglasses of any kind. So i think the shades are just part of his 'rock star persona'  ;)

Huh? All the paparozzi pictures I've seen, he's wearing the shades....?

I'm skeptical because some of the shades he wears are so light they are almost like regular glasses.

However, they do cover his eyes somewhat. So my theory is more along the level of the eyes being the windows to the soul. I think he wants some part of himself to be kept away from the "public eye" (pun intended). Bono's eyes are very expressive. When they are exposed (ie, singing Kite at Slane Castle, just days after his father died), you can see everything... I think he as he got more famous, he perhaps wanted to hide some of himself from the public. Also, as The Fly, he was able to step into a different persona. So perhaps he has the Rock Star Bono that he shows the public and the Real Bono which he keeps to himself. Which is totally fine with me!!

All that in mind, it still makes me a little nervous when I think about trying to take a picture of him at a concert.... If he IS light sensitive, I dont want to contribute to his problem!!

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 05:45:42 PM »
I forgot to mention, the article said there are prescription lenses that help. So I don't think they need to be dark to be protective.
I worry when he takes his glasses off onstage. Those lights are terribly bright. I doubt our cameras' flashes do any damage, Marsgirl.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 05:57:50 PM »
I forgot to mention, the article said there are prescription lenses that help. So I don't think they need to be dark to be protective.
I worry when he takes his glasses off onstage. Those lights are terribly bright. I doubt our cameras' flashes do any damage, Marsgirl.

Oh good... so I can take pictures of him then?? ;)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 08:19:02 PM »

Huh? All the paparozzi pictures I've seen, he's wearing the shades....?

I guess we've just seen different photos of him then  :P  :D