Author Topic: Songs losing a loved one  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
Songs losing a loved one
« on: April 01, 2012, 02:02:44 AM »
Hi all,

After a long 2 and half year battle with bowel cancer, my Mother lost her fight and passed away last week. It's obviously been an emotional time for everyone including myself, being so close to her my whole life. A lot of crying and grieving has taken place...lots of sadness, but good and happy memories.

What are some U2 songs that have the message of losing a loved one? I've never been a huge lyrical analyser but I'm a huge fan of U2 songs and the emotion they convey about certain things in life. For some reason Bad has struck a chord..not sure if the lyrics are applicable, not that it really matters though. I know One Tree Hill is about Bono losing a friend, but I'm not sure of many others?

I don't want to make myself cry (I've done enough of that during the last few months), but I'd just like to know what songs there are that some of you might like listening to for similar reasons.

Offline OnlyU2

• Elevated
Re: Songs losing a loved one
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 09:22:57 AM »
Very sorry for your loss Clarky.  Listen to the lyrics to Kite.  This is one of my all-time favorite U2 songs, in part because it can be interpreted on multiple levels. It's a song sung to the living on behalf of the dead: "I want you to know / That you don't need me any more." It's also a song sung by the living as a tribute to those who have died: "I want you to know / You don't need anyone or anything at all." And it's a song for everyone involved in the funeral: "I know that this is not goodbye." I also love "Kite" because of the raw emotional power behind the vocals. Scattered throughout U2's albums are several keystone singing moments for Bono.  In "Kite," the high G-sharp Bono sings in the line "I'm a man, I'm not a child" is one of U2's biggest emotional releases, something I'm sure funeral attendees could appreciate in such emotionally trying times.

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »
I guess its what feels right for you - I can get Bad but Kite is a great song that has everything

Likewise - sorry for your loss
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:39:49 PM by singnomore »

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 02:33:17 PM »
Peeps U2 songs..

Sugarcube

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 02:38:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi all,

After a long 2 and half year battle with bowel cancer, my Mother lost her fight and passed away last week. It's obviously been an emotional time for everyone including myself, being so close to her my whole life. A lot of crying and grieving has taken place...lots of sadness, but good and happy memories.

What are some U2 songs that have the message of losing a loved one? I've never been a huge lyrical analyser but I'm a huge fan of U2 songs and the emotion they convey about certain things in life. For some reason Bad has struck a chord..not sure if the lyrics are applicable, not that it really matters though. I know One Tree Hill is about Bono losing a friend, but I'm not sure of many others?

I don't want to make myself cry (I've done enough of that during the last few months), but I'd just like to know what songs there are that some of you might like listening to for similar reasons.

Kite. It's all about letting go - but is also really hopeful... one of U2's masterpiece songs

Online missey

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 03:23:44 PM »
Clarky, I'm very sorry.  Went through a similar thing a few years ago with my mom.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
One Step Closer
Tomorrow
MLK
Stuck In A Moment
Stay

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »
Tomorrow is a good one too.

Offline Velvet Dress

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »
I'm very sorry for your loss, Clarky.   I'd say Kite, One Tree Hill, or maybe 40, but really, sometimes when you're listening to U2, a song apparently with a totally different theme will suddenly seem to speak to you in ways you'd never have expected, so it could be anything.

EC, for me at least Tomorrow seems almost too intense and raw to help you through loss.   If I had to put it in words, it's more like keening than catharsis, if that makes any sense.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 06:16:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm very sorry for your loss, Clarky.   I'd say Kite, One Tree Hill, or maybe 40, but really, sometimes when you're listening to U2, a song apparently with a totally different theme will suddenly seem to speak to you in ways you'd never have expected, so it could be anything.

EC, for me at least Tomorrow seems almost too intense and raw to help you through loss.   If I had to put it in words, it's more like keening than catharsis, if that makes any sense.
I like the way you put that. Well, for catharsis I might say Yahweh or Walk On, for nonspecific healing songs.

Offline skelter

• Numb
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »
Moment of Surrender?

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 08:03:37 AM »
Thanks guys,

Now that you mention it, it seems obvious that Kite is a song that fits the description. I knew that all along! I'm also a fan of Tomorrow but I haven't heard it for a while...