Author Topic: If you're going to a U2 concert - think about this:  (Read 1512 times)

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
Re: If you're going to a U2 concert - think about this:
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2018, 08:31:01 AM »
That would be my thought as well. I've not been to a show on this tour yet (I'm headed to the DC show on June 18th), but given how expensive tickets have been for other acts that sell out arenas, if someone like U2 can't do it, it's probably more the music they're putting out than a marketing problem. I'm not crazy about either of the two recent albums, and from what admittedly little I've read about the shows (I've tried to dodge spoilers as best as possible), it sounds like maybe the folks who would otherwise be at these shows aren't either. I'm all for throwing in the deep cuts, but there need to be hits as well, and I'm not sure there have really been that many from these last few albums.

Offline julez728

• Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 08:51:11 AM »
This is their third tour in in four years and that could have something to do with the lack of sales.  Friends that went with me last year aren't interested in going this year because they needed a break and they didn't want to travel to shows.

Also, from the set lists I've seen, this doesn't seem to be a show for the casual fan like the Joshua Tree tour was.

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 12:09:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd be a blind person stumbling around in a trabant. Jail time for sure.

Maybe we'll run into each other at a gig. I mean, literally...

Offline Saint22

• Stateless
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 12:58:33 PM »
I was in the GA on San Jose #1 and people were (obviously) standing and into the show, other than the new songs. On night two I was in the (marked down) expensive seats and it was sadly passive. People didn't even stand until the 4th song. I wonder if the fans are old, too wealthy and there for a scene or what. In the end I think it all comes back to the opinion I have (power to all who disagree!) that they haven't made a compelling album in years. That to me explains the unsold seats (not ticket cost) and not "marketing" issues.

That isn't the problem. If that were the problem, The Joshua Tree wouldn't have been the overwhelming success that it was just last year.

This is about over-saturating the market for tickets, an aging fan base and high non-GA ticket prices. People haven't gone to U2 shows to hear new music since Elevation.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2018, 02:14:42 PM »
The days of large sections of the crowd jumping and bouncing along to Streets or Out of Control or on this tour Vertigo ,Gloria etc. are long gone.
Thats why I'm glad Streets isn't being played now. Its a bit depressing to see such a motionless crowd for this song. But I think the audience is just too old.
I'm 46 but would happily jump around to songs but when you are surrounded by people who's feet are rooted to the floor you kind of getting dragged down to their level.
I'm sure a lot of folks are enjoying it but they just don't want or can't jump and make the floor bounce.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:17:38 PM by indiansummer »

Offline Saint22

• Stateless
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »
The days of large sections of the crowd jumping and bouncing along to Streets or Out of Control or on this tour Vertigo ,Gloria etc. are long gone.
Thats why I'm glad Streets isn't being played now. Its a bit depressing to see such a motionless crowd for this song. But I think the audience is just too old.
I'm 46 but would happily jump around to songs but when you are surrounded by people who's feet are rooted to the floor you kind of getting dragged down to their level.
I'm sure a lot of folks are enjoying it but they just don't want or can't jump and make the floor bounce.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with standing or even sitting still as long as you are paying attention. You don't have to be jumping up and down to be into a show.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2018, 04:33:07 PM »
I was in the GA on San Jose #1 and people were (obviously) standing and into the show, other than the new songs. On night two I was in the (marked down) expensive seats and it was sadly passive. People didn't even stand until the 4th song. I wonder if the fans are old, too wealthy and there for a scene or what. In the end I think it all comes back to the opinion I have (power to all who disagree!) that they haven't made a compelling album in years. That to me explains the unsold seats (not ticket cost) and not "marketing" issues.

That isn't the problem. If that were the problem, The Joshua Tree wouldn't have been the overwhelming success that it was just last year.

This is about over-saturating the market for tickets, an aging fan base and high non-GA ticket prices. People haven't gone to U2 shows to hear new music since Elevation.

I think people went for the music on the Vertigo Tour in 2005 and the 360 tour based on the massive and I mean massive success those tours had with record attendance, gross, and record speed sellouts as well.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2018, 04:35:28 PM »
Sitting at a U2 show! I have to disagree there. A bit of an insult to the band.
If you are able to stand when you are in the seating sections then you should. Lot of venues now have special seats that fold flat to make it easier. Like Glasgow Hydro.
Nothing worse than looking around at the seats when you are in GA and seeing a sea of people in their seats when they're playing frickin Gloria. Mood kill moment.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2018, 04:36:13 PM »

Thats why I'm glad Streets isn't being played now.

Hey, this is not a spoiler thread!

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2018, 06:28:08 PM »
I just turned 36, and have seen U2 10 times over the years. On the I&E tour, I went solo to both Toronto and NYC, and sorta solo to both Belfast and Dublin. Via a U2 Facebook group, I kinda went to the first Belfast show w a girl who was also in from the States (I say “sorta”, as our tickets were nowhere near each other); she was around my age, maybe one or two years older. As I was prepping to go to the second Belfast gig, I met a group of young Brazilians (I doubt if any of them were in their 30s, yet), who had been the show the night before. While talking, a girl in the hostel, from Liverpool, overhearing our talk, asked me if I was going to the second show, and if I wanted to go together. We were both GA, so took a taxi over. She was only 20, and was an absolute diehard fan. In Dublin, I went w another friend of mine, who’s in her mid-40s (again, we “sorta” went, being in different sections). On last year’s JT tour, at the Pittsburgh show, there was a group of  a dozen-ish  of us, aged around 23-50. Two were in their 20s; 3 in their 30s; 2 in their 40s; and, one was around 50 (the latter of whom is dating a friend of mine: she herself is still a few years from 30, and she’s a diehard. We saw them on the 360° tour, and she then went solo to the Cleveland show last year).

My point is that U2 has far more fans who are definitely below the 40+ mark, even in the US.

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2018, 07:36:56 AM »
U2 is a different kind of "elder statesman" band. They don't want to be a nostalgia act yet. They tried that on with "Joshua Tree". How did it feel for them? They dropped ALL JT songs from the set! That's like Paul McCartney touring and saying "No Beatles songs on this one!"
U2 is still making art. The show is a presentation. Records don't sell anymore, videos are non-existent. The arena is their canvas. They are unique.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2018, 08:33:32 AM »
THIS!

However ALL the Europe and Mexico and South American videos the crowd is ALIVE. US crowds are dead except at hard rock heavier shows, or rap/hip hop.
I long to experience U2 in Ireland or Italy.

I will bring Europe to United Center in a few days and I promise, I'll rock the house :D
Maybe I'll removed from the GA due to improper behaviour  ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:35:13 AM by Catlithco »

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2018, 09:32:58 AM »
I just turned 36, and have seen U2 10 times over the years. On the I&E tour, I went solo to both Toronto and NYC, and sorta solo to both Belfast and Dublin. Via a U2 Facebook group, I kinda went to the first Belfast show w a girl who was also in from the States (I say “sorta”, as our tickets were nowhere near each other); she was around my age, maybe one or two years older. As I was prepping to go to the second Belfast gig, I met a group of young Brazilians (I doubt if any of them were in their 30s, yet), who had been the show the night before. While talking, a girl in the hostel, from Liverpool, overhearing our talk, asked me if I was going to the second show, and if I wanted to go together. We were both GA, so took a taxi over. She was only 20, and was an absolute diehard fan. In Dublin, I went w another friend of mine, who’s in her mid-40s (again, we “sorta” went, being in different sections). On last year’s JT tour, at the Pittsburgh show, there was a group of  a dozen-ish  of us, aged around 23-50. Two were in their 20s; 3 in their 30s; 2 in their 40s; and, one was around 50 (the latter of whom is dating a friend of mine: she herself is still a few years from 30, and she’s a diehard. We saw them on the 360° tour, and she then went solo to the Cleveland show last year).

My point is that U2 has far more fans who are definitely below the 40+ mark, even in the US.

That's great that you encountered some under 40 people and that you yourself are under 40. But I don't think its representative of the audience at large. I'm talking about the United States exclusively. In other countries especially Latin America, I can see the situation being different.

I'm pretty sure that if you randomly looked at 1,000 people's identification at any of these concerts in the United States, you would find that 80% of them are between the ages of 41 to 55 with the average age being 48. This matches anyone that was between the ages of 16 to 22, in any of the years, from 1985 to 1993. The oldest being age 22 in 1985 with the youngest being 16 in 1993. U2's popularity in the United States fell of a cliff after that until the early 00s. But the massive popularity generated in the 00s is now gone and I think the band is left with the same old hardcore fanbase that stayed with them even through the Pop years in the late 1990s.

Offline runbyu1

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2018, 10:47:08 PM »
No way it's 80% between 41 and 55. I know a TON of U2 fans, almost all of which are my age (lower to mid 30s) and younger.  Beautiful Day/Stuck era gained a ton of new fans who are active today. I became a fan during Zoo TV at age 12, along with my cousin and a ton of my friends. When I attend shows, it seems that the average fan attending concerts is fairly close to my age or a bit older.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2018, 02:45:36 AM »
anecdotally, it seems U2's younger fans have increased in the last few years.

Overall the average age of a U2 is naturally increasing - all fans from all eras are getting older.

I have been going to U2 concerts since ZooTV, so missed a whole era or 2. I have always seen kids and teenagers at the concerts, accompanied by their parents. There have been plenty during each tour. However, starting with i+e, increasing greatly with JT2017, and now with e+I, I have seen several groups of young people (teens to early 20s?) together without parents. They seemed to be there together, on their own. I've seen this increase for 3 tours nows in 3 cities - LA, Vegas and Boston. I did not see much or any of that during 360, Vertigo, or even Elevation. Those tours seems to be a complete split of 30s upward & some preteen kids with their parents. Elevation had some but not too much.

I don't think anyone believes there is this massive youth segment of U2's fanbase, however the youth population seem to actually have increased. Another anecdotal observation: One of the boards on here asked for age, going through the posts I noticed a lot of 40s and up, more early 20s and lower than I expected, and 30s seemed like the smallest of the groups. This is all anecdotal, but all of these observations have surprised me in witnessing more young U2 fans than I imagined. in terms of fandom (we arent really concerned with casual listeners), forum activity and concert attendance carry more weight than radio play or album sales they require more investment of time.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 03:18:07 AM by scrittoresabino »