Author Topic: Iconic boy on U2 album covers slams band for supporting abortion in Ireland  (Read 2310 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
Sorry Peter. I don't take my life advice from a photographer (nothing against photographers). Become as social influential and as generous as Bono and I'll start to listen. I suppose God commanded him to use Photoshop all day every day.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
I don't think there's anything any of us can really say here since this would certainly break the no politics rule.  So I'll just say it's clearly a major topic in Ireland.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
I don't think there's anything any of us can really say here since this would certainly break the no politics rule.  So I'll just say it's clearly a major topic in Ireland.

People are absolutely welcome to discuss how this fits in with his history with U2, stuff like that. We just donít want it to devolve into pro-choice and anti-abortion sides yelling at each other. Believe it or not, there is still a lot of room to discuss this in the context of U2. What other people have U2 collaborated with in the past who have come to have disagreements with the band?

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
One thing about Bono is that he would have thought this through and would have drawn on his life experience, possibly personal experiences and his own personal beliefs as a Christian and come to what sits best with him and is absolutely entitled to his point of view. 

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
What Bono has to say on the issue is as valid as what Peter Rowan says on the issue. Rowan has his own life experiences to draw from and are equally valid although they may disagree.  Maybe men should stay out of this issue altogether.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:22:59 AM by dwaltman »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
What Bono has to say on the issue is as valid as what Peter Rowan says on the issue. Rowan has his own life experiences to draw from and are equally valid although they may disagree.  Maybe men should stay out of this issue altogether.

Well actually no. It's a referendum that means all can vote. Last time I checked they were involved in the process as well.

I just don't agree with the opinion of the U2 BOY.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still

Well actually no. It's a referendum that means all can vote. Last time I checked they were involved in the process as well.

I just don't agree with the opinion of the U2 BOY.

Personally, I don't agree with U2 Boy either, but I can see how people view the issue this way.  In the U.S., all the restrictions on abortion rights have mostly been decided by old white men and I think if women...who actually face this issue head-on had more of voice, things may be different.  A referendum is allowing for that voice in Ireland which is a good thing.  As a man, I just don't have the same insight as a woman although I have opinions on the issue. 

It seems Rowan believes U2 is being hypocritical as Christians to repeal the 8th.  I wish U2 had a bit more to say on the issue besides just tweeting a message to repeal the 8th.  It would be good to hear their rationale as well, especially from a Christian perspective.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
I agree with you dwaltman that only a woman has the insight into this very controversial and divisive issue. I'm no Anthony Scalia. But with all of the fem-politics surrounding us at all times on all fronts I'm easing back into becoming a neo-sexist. Its all very exhausting. Call it a backlash.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee

It seems Rowan believes U2 is being hypocritical as Christians to repeal the 8th.  I wish U2 had a bit more to say on the issue besides just tweeting a message to repeal the 8th.  It would be good to hear their rationale as well, especially from a Christian perspective.

The Christian perspective often seems variable.  Birth control being one that Bono disagrees with the Pope on for example. Same with same sex marriage which seems to divide Christians and got passed in Ireland I believe and so on.  I would also take a guess that many non Christians could go either way on the subject as well.  I thought that Bono was keen on making sure that women had access to both support and also safety depending on what they decided to do.  When I was a young teenager in the country that I lived in it was the era of backyard abortions which was life endangering or the kid was ripped away and adopted out.  In the end the Irish people will decide what they want.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Christianity has a say on for example 15 topics and have their perspective. Its possible to disagree with a Christian on birth control but agree with them on foreign aid.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
Bingo. I am a man so I will never have one, and I will let women decide for themselves.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
To say that a man canít have a valid opinion on abortion because he isnít a woman is no more sensible than to say that one must be homeless to have a valid opinion on homelessness, or be in poverty to want to fight poverty.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
To say that a man canít have a valid opinion on abortion because he isnít a woman is no more sensible than to say that one must be homeless to have a valid opinion on homelessness, or be in poverty to want to fight poverty.

It's also discriminatory.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
Of course, men can have a valid opinion on abortion.   It's a very personal choice, imo....one between the 2 people involved but even more so for the woman,  seeing she is the one who deals with the outcome (often alone) of either of the decisions she might make.  So I don't think men should not have an opinion on the issue but I value a woman's opinion on this issue more than a man.

At least in a national referendum, everyone has an opportunity to vote.  The only national referendum in the U.S. is for the Presidency.  And from the looks of it, the Irish have spoken and have favored a repeal. 

As far as the comparisons to homelessness or poverty....those issues directly impact men as well as women.  As far as I know, men have yet to carry a child to term or experience the anguish of abortion....and many run as far away as possible if faced with the situation.