Author Topic: U2 3D coming out on DVD !  (Read 8030 times)

Offline indiansummer

• Numb
U2 3D coming out on DVD !
« on: August 24, 2009, 05:57:35 AM »
Anybody have any info on the U2 3D DVD realease that is now listed online. I never heard any news of this anywhere until I heard a competition on absolute radio this morning to win a copy !!
Interested to see how it will work on standard DVD format. Don't think many of us have 3D TV's !
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jk009

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: U2 3D coming out on DVD !
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:37:46 AM »
Not to kill this moment or anything-but I know there have been numerous credited people who have said U23D will not be coming to DVD.  The needed technology is to great and the average house doesn't really have it.

I believe they would more likely use Blu-Ray instead for logical space and transfer rates on the HDMI channel.

Typically-yes your right most don't have a projector or TV that can use 3D with good percision-although the use of 3D glasses fixes this.  Soon, 3D stuff will get larger as it has become a part of many media forms.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Global Moderator
  • Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 08:23:43 AM »
I have been keeping an eye on the possible release of this.

HMV have had the listing for U23D up for several weeks now, but it doesen't appear on any other of the major online retailers like Amazon, so it looks to me that there won't be a release of this on DVD, for a while yet.

Offline markreed

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 02:18:03 PM »
It won't be on DVD for quite some time, if at all. The 3D projection system was new and the band invested a lot of money in the 3D system : around $15m if I remember, and I think the technology is the stuff that is at the bleeding edge of most 3D cinema presentations at the moment. As far as U23D's exietence is, it seems that it would be incorrect to release a DVD in 2D as it is, by its very name "U23D". If I were U2, I'd make it a 2D/3D Fanclub DVD. But I'm not.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:29:52 PM »
For what its worth, the Jonas brothers have a 3D concert dvd coming out. But maybe thats because their fans will buy anything with the name on it. U2 fans could be (slightly) more discerning.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 08:44:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For what its worth, the Jonas brothers have a 3D concert dvd coming out. But maybe thats because their fans will buy anything with the name on it. U2 fans could be (slightly) more discerning.

Only slightly  :D :D :D

Offline JSab

• Staring at the Sun
  • No, no line
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 05:46:39 AM »
We used 3D glasses for the watching of it, 3D movies are currently being released with what I might presume is a similar technology. So I don't overly see
how U2 3D could be so different - I guess the technology used is alot different? who knows - I just remember the movie with great nostalgia (even more so the vertigo concert).

It would be awesome to see it come out :), I'll just wait patiently.

Offline markreed

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 08:29:49 AM »
U23D was the first 3D film to feature : moving cameras, unscripted action, and all live action. Amongst many other things. Quite a tally!

Offline luckado

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 11:51:09 AM »
I know they've said before that they wouldn't release it, but I would love to see this released on DVD & Bluray.  Lots of movies that come out in 3D get released to DVD in a standard (non-3D) format.  Same with IMAX films; none of us have 6 story movie screens at home, but most IMAX movies come out on DVD, also.  I remember how much I enjoyed U23D, really capturing the atmosphere and excitement of a U2 concert in the film, and would like to share it would people that didn't want to see it in a theater. 

Offline JSab

• Staring at the Sun
  • No, no line
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 04:22:48 AM »
I want to see Miss Sarajevo again - It blew me away when they played it at the Vertigo concert I saw, it was completely unexpected (at the start of the song I thought it was Running To Stand Still but then they fooled me :P). I hadnt seen that version till U23D - so that was a secondly amazing experience, and I always regret only seeing it once and not multiple times (my friends came with me to IMAX, but arent as big-a fans as me to see it again).

Lets hope it comes out one day :)