Author Topic: Two Shots of Acrobat, One Shot of Velvet Dress  (Read 7583 times)

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
Re: Two Shots of Acrobat, One Shot of Velvet Dress
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 05:58:21 PM »
acrobat... snoozefest?

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 06:03:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
acrobat... snoozefest?

I could see Acrobat put into the current setlist.  But a setlist filled with Acrobat and Velvet Dress-type songs? No thanks.

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 06:11:06 PM »
I half-agree with you u2pinstripes. An entire setlist of Velvet Dress-esque songs would be really boring with you. But I'm not seeing the connection between Acrobat and Velvet Dress, honestly. Acrobat ROCKS.

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 06:47:55 PM »
I half-agree with you u2pinstripes. An entire setlist of Velvet Dress-esque songs would be really boring with you. But I'm not seeing the connection between Acrobat and Velvet Dress, honestly. Acrobat ROCKS.

I have nothing against Acrobat (or Velvet Dress for that matter).  I think Acrobat is a tremendous song..but both songs are on the back end of their respective albums and are less upbeat, lacking a booming chorus or true energy.  They have their place in U2 shows, but you also need to include songs like Beautiful Day, Elevation, Mysterious Ways, COBL, etc.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »
I think Acrobat is a tremendous song..but both songs are on the back end of their respective albums and are less upbeat, lacking a booming chorus or true energy. 

acrobat..lacking energy? have you taken leave of your senses?

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 07:38:40 PM »
I think Acrobat is a tremendous song..but both songs are on the back end of their respective albums and are less upbeat, lacking a booming chorus or true energy. 

If U2 ever does play Acrobat, let's see if the crowd goes off like they do with Elevation, Vertigo, Beautiful Day, Streets, NLOTH, Boots, I Will Follow, All Because of You, Crazy Remix...I could continue.  But I doubt the crowd would be going crazy during Acrobat.  Acrobat is slower, angrier, darker (just like Velvet Dress and Two Shots).  It's not an uplifting energetic song that make U2 concerts amazing.  Like I said before, Acrobat would fit beautifully into a more balanced setlist.  But to have a setlist filled with Velvet Dress and Acrobat, and to forget songs like Crazy and Boots would make U2 become very dull and boring.

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 07:45:33 PM »
A U2 concert is about peaks and valleys.  It's not all peaks and it's not all valleys.  I would hate a setlist with just Vertigo, Elevation, Beautiful Day, Streets, Pride, etc.  I would also hate a setlist with Velvet Dress, Acrobat, Running to Stand Still, Bad etc.  But I would love a setlist with COBL, Bad, Streets, Acrobat, Vertigo.  The point is that U2 can't just abandon the highs of an album like Boots and Crazy.  They need to incorporate both sides into an album/concert to make it complete.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 08:26:07 PM »
I think Exile is making a valid point.  i would love to see what U2 will be like as older men.  i think there is real potential, not for a snoozefest, but to explore some musical facets that they haven't yet.  Of course we all want to see Bono get a crowd pumped up.   But having seen some of his quieter, sexier aspects come out in a few songs, I would love to see how that plays in concert.  What they can do with that as they age.  His lower register is extremely sexy.  Ask any of the ladies about 'Velvet Dress' and I think they will all agree. 

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 08:28:11 PM »
I think Exile is making a valid point.  i would love to see what U2 will be like as older men.  i think there is real potential, not for a snoozefest, but to explore some musical facets that they haven't yet.  Of course we all want to see Bono get a crowd pumped up.   But having seen some of his quieter, sexier aspects come out in a few songs, I would love to see how that plays in concert.  What they can do with that as they age.  His lower register is extremely sexy.  Ask any of the ladies about 'Velvet Dress' and I think they will all agree. 

Velvet dress is in my head right now.... Its a private show, no one else gonna know..... LOVE IT.

Do you think they are staying away from sexy? I mean, they have taken out the line "sexy boots" from GOYB live.....

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »
The lyrics in the last three albums have been very centered on (what I feel is) Bono's "extra-curricular" activities. It seems his writing has been more influenced by world politics and the human condition than personal relationships or internal feelings.

Offline JSab

• Staring at the Sun
  • No, no line
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 11:45:58 PM »
Its all personal opinion - I did say lower register songs would be nicer, but I still enjoy the energy of the upbeat songs. Its for the people who dont know all of their songs, just the hits, so they haveto cater for everyone - I'm sure it's quite difficult.

Haha lets just say I'd pay good money to see a more up close and personal side show in a smaller venue, just for something different, as well as the big arena shows - for me its U2 but also the epic stages that amaze me. I didnt really like The Craw (get smart reference XD) at first cause it didnt have a huge ass screen, but I've come to love its rediculous grandeur :)

Offline Stateless_Passenger

• Stateless
  • "Don't want to change the frame..."
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 04:51:06 AM »
I saw the performance. Bono nailed it.

In regards to the topic point; I somewhat agree. I think it would intersting to see U2 except thier age but also see it as an artistic gain rather than loss y'know? That doesn't mean boring ballads etc but more atmospheric & moody pieces.

I love stuff like Cedars of Lebanon where Bono comes across as a man who's seen it all yet finds solace in his own voice. The attitude in that tune could be a real starting point for the band as a whole...

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 10:45:14 AM »

If U2 ever does play Acrobat, let's see if the crowd goes off like they do with Elevation, Vertigo, Beautiful Day, Streets, NLOTH, Boots, I Will Follow, All Because of You, Crazy Remix...I could continue.  But I doubt the crowd would be going crazy during Acrobat.  Acrobat is slower, angrier, darker (just like Velvet Dress and Two Shots).  It's not an uplifting energetic song that make U2 concerts amazing.  Like I said before, Acrobat would fit beautifully into a more balanced setlist.  But to have a setlist filled with Velvet Dress and Acrobat, and to forget songs like Crazy and Boots would make U2 become very dull and boring.

OK, let's take your example of Crazy Tonight. That chorus, especially the "not a HIIILL, it's a MOUNTain..." line, is sung so high that Bono barely hit it on the album, fared much worse during the promo appearances before the tour started, and now sings the remix which doesn't demand he hit those notes (and I'm partially convinced that the bit at the end of the remix version when the music slows and he does sing the chorus is pre-recorded). My point is that if U2 played the NLOTH version of Crazy Tonight on leg 3, they'll need to drop it after four shows because Bono can't sing that high anymore. It's not 1985.

So the issue isn't really about jettisoning happy songs to play sad ones, but about adjusting all their songs to suit Bono's voice (which could result in songs being (re)introduced that otherwise are impossible for him to perform). And the next logical step in my thinking simply says that if certain songs like Crazy Tonight or Bad need to be toned down and played in a lower key, then it may also be time to start playing venues in which that style can actually work (read: Let the music drive the tour, not vice versa).

In other words, stadiums and arenas = higher registers vocally which = increasingly poorer performances due to Bono's age and thinness of voice.

But smaller venues would = the option of singing in a lower key similar to the video of TSOH that I posted, which could = a whole new repertoire of material that would suddenly become viable setlist options.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 12:27:27 PM »
What good would a U2 concert be without Bono jumping around and screaming?  To me, the one thing that makes U2 stand out from every other group is their ability to play all types of music.  One hour into the concert you have Bono and the crowd jumping to Elevation, Until the End of the World, and NLOTH.  Two hours into the concert, you have a complete reversal in energy and emotion when they play One, Ultraviolet, Moment of Surrender, and With or Without You. 

Maybe it's just me, but I would hate to go to an arena and watch a snoozefest filled with Acrobat, a watered down Bad, Velvet Dress, Running to Stand Still, and In a Little While.  When Bono stops jumping around and they re-work songs, they are no longer the true U2 that we all love.  I was at 3 shows this summer, and not one time did I cringe and think "wow, they really can't play this anymore"

Yeah the show I was at, I thought Bono really did sound great. Better than the majority of the last 2/3 tours anyway. It does make sense for Bono to take care of his voice; but there's no way at this stage that he needs to forget about performing Bad, Streets, Crazy Tonight etc. I mean listen to Ultraviolet on this tour. Or Moment of Surrender. Or Sunday Bloody Sunday. On almost every occasion he's sounded amazing on those songs and my concert experience would have been seriously hampered without them. So I get what Exile is saying, but I don't think those measures are required quite yet at this stage in Bono's career.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »
even in the early days edge tuned his guitar down half a step to help bono wit the high notes. not sure if they stopped doig it. wouldnt have thought half a step woulda made that much  difference either.