Author Topic: Two Shots of Acrobat, One Shot of Velvet Dress  (Read 7587 times)

Offline JSab

• Staring at the Sun
  • No, no line
Re: Two Shots of Acrobat, One Shot of Velvet Dress
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 09:27:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What good would a U2 concert be without Bono jumping around and screaming?  To me, the one thing that makes U2 stand out from every other group is their ability to play all types of music.  One hour into the concert you have Bono and the crowd jumping to Elevation, Until the End of the World, and NLOTH.  Two hours into the concert, you have a complete reversal in energy and emotion when they play One, Ultraviolet, Moment of Surrender, and With or Without You. 

Maybe it's just me, but I would hate to go to an arena and watch a snoozefest filled with Acrobat, a watered down Bad, Velvet Dress, Running to Stand Still, and In a Little While.  When Bono stops jumping around and they re-work songs, they are no longer the true U2 that we all love.  I was at 3 shows this summer, and not one time did I cringe and think "wow, they really can't play this anymore"

Yeah the show I was at, I thought Bono really did sound great. Better than the majority of the last 2/3 tours anyway. It does make sense for Bono to take care of his voice; but there's no way at this stage that he needs to forget about performing Bad, Streets, Crazy Tonight etc. I mean listen to Ultraviolet on this tour. Or Moment of Surrender. Or Sunday Bloody Sunday. On almost every occasion he's sounded amazing on those songs and my concert experience would have been seriously hampered without them. So I get what Exile is saying, but I don't think those measures are required quite yet at this stage in Bono's career.

:P Personally I would prefer him to sing UV the same as the recording, somehow I dont like his higher singing in that song as much - but oh well, its one of my favourite songs, I'm still extremely happy that they've put it in the permanent setlist - also I WANT HIS LED SUIT!

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »
Here's a link to Bono performing "Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad" on Spectacle last week:

Before I watched I thought to myself cynically, "Oh great, he's going to butcher a song I have loved since the mid-nineties, I can't bear to watch." But as you can hear (and as I was shocked to hear), his vocal performance is absolutely stunning, just spot on and perfect (though I wish he'd sung the final note properly, but I'm not one to nitpick [yes, that was a joke]).

This reminded me of what I've been thinking since 360 started about where U2 need to go from here. I think they need to begin to allow their age and sophistication to show (it's OK lads, it happens to everyone. And yes, that's a bald spot...). You see, when U2 play stadiums it has certain effects on the band's (especially Bono's) performance: He jumps around wildly with this angry look on his face, huffing, puffing, and shouting at no one in particular. Now, I realize he is desperately trying to connect with the back row, and I respect that. But let's be honest, it is a tad pathetic and embarrassing sometimes, innit?

Another effect of a stadium show is that Bono naturally wants to sing in a high register in order to project his voice. Problem is, he just can't pull it off anymore. Time would fail me to list all the songs that either have been or need to be retired due to Bono's voice being incapable of reaching those high notes (Bad is one example). But as you can see from this performance of "Two Shots of Happy," Bono's voice is still absolutely amazing, but only when he sings in his proper range, which is NOT what it once was.

So here's what I'm saying: U2 need to rethink everything about their approach, one being the relationship of the tour to the album (the latter should drive the former, not the other way around). If U2 planned to play small venues, they wouldn't feel the pressure to put stadium rockers on their albums, and neither would they feel this desperate need to connect with the kids whose iPods are filled with Gnarls Barkley and Lady Gaga. Sure, they can still write songs like Magnificent (which I love), but there needs to be a whole lot more Stateless and a whole lot less Boots or Crazy.

There's just a slinkiness and sexiness that the band tapped into in the '90s that they are now at a perfect place to begin to recapture. Take that Velvet Dress-y vibe and couple it with the sick-yet-singable filthiness of a song like Acrobat, and they just may begin a whole new era of brilliance, albeit not with the kids, but with grown-ups (you know, like them).

Thoughts?

This is a VERY old topic, but I think it's relevant today - these guys really need to consider their next steps VERY carefully, especially after the "Nostalgia Tour" ends, because today they're more closer to 70 than they were at the time of this topic.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2017, 09:51:57 PM »
in their defense they do the "over thinking" thing plenty, they just have their eyes set on the wrong audience. they need to make music for themselves. they got lucky pandering to johnny q. public with BDay and Vertigo, but clearly that time has long passed.

Spacejunk69

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »
I think Acrobat is a tremendous song..but both songs are on the back end of their respective albums and are less upbeat, lacking a booming chorus or true energy. 

acrobat..lacking energy? have you taken leave of your senses?

If U2 ever does play Acrobat, let's see if the crowd goes off like they do with Elevation, Vertigo, Beautiful Day, Streets, NLOTH, Boots, I Will Follow, All Because of You, Crazy Remix...I could continue.  But I doubt the crowd would be going crazy during Acrobat.  Acrobat is slower, angrier, darker (just like Velvet Dress and Two Shots).  It's not an uplifting energetic song that make U2 concerts amazing.  Like I said before, Acrobat would fit beautifully into a more balanced setlist.  But to have a setlist filled with Velvet Dress and Acrobat, and to forget songs like Crazy and Boots would make U2 become very dull and boring.

The songs Ive bolded should NEVER even be played live again they are so bad. Its cringe-worthy watching Bono try and perform those songs now, and some of them are just terrible anyway.

I get what you are saying - about playing more upbeat songs, b ut they have to be good ones. Not sure why you think Acrobat falls into that category.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »
I have long held the view that the very thing that 'made' u2 namely their desire to reach out and touch as wide an audience as possible/their hunger to connect/their widescreen ambition has in an ironic twist become in a lot of ways their biggest 'problem'....

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »
I have long held the view that the very thing that 'made' u2 namely their desire to reach out and touch as wide an audience as possible/their hunger to connect/their widescreen ambition has in an ironic twist become in a lot of ways their biggest 'problem'....
Yes, they are trying to please everybody...and we all know that just can't be done.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 02:00:24 PM »
It would be great if they allowed their age and sophistication to show.  Remember that phase they were in around the Pavarotti benefit concert and, I think, Million Dollar Hotel when Bono and the Edge were on talk shows singing Ground Beneath Her Feet and wearing stylish duds?  Cool phase.

Wow, a bump on a thread of mine from 8 years ago. I'm flattered (bowing low).

If I had my 'druthers, U2 would write an album with songs like Stateless, Being Born, and GBHF and tour it in theaters with zero bells and whistles, all while sporting their greying hair and zero leather.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2017, 02:01:54 PM »
It would be great if they allowed their age and sophistication to show.  Remember that phase they were in around the Pavarotti benefit concert and, I think, Million Dollar Hotel when Bono and the Edge were on talk shows singing Ground Beneath Her Feet and wearing stylish duds?  Cool phase.

If I had my 'druthers, U2 would write an album with songs like Stateless, Being Born, and GBHF and tour it in theaters with zero bells and whistles, all while sporting their greying hair and zero leather.
HEY, old people can wear leather!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 02:05:23 PM »

Haha, well then let's just apply the prohibition to Bono. He needs to be wearing more dapper and age-appropriate clothes (especially if he packing 50 extra pounds!). Throw away the Terminator costume and put on normal pants with a shirt and waistcoat or something.

And croon more, shriek less....

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2017, 02:06:06 PM »

Leather on top of leather is not a good look...

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »

Speak for yourself...

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 02:12:26 PM »

Speak for yourself...

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Can't see that pic...?

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2017, 02:27:33 PM »
I repeat, old people CAN wear leather! Sheesh...

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 02:34:01 PM »

Speak for yourself...

Can't see that pic...?
Damn, well I've lost it now...  :-\ it was a very unflattering picture of Bono clad in double leather.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2017, 02:35:42 PM »
I repeat, old people CAN wear leather! Sheesh...

Right. And when they do we go, "Oh look, it's an old person wearing leather."

But when a person dresses more age-appropriately we go, "Oh look, it's a person."

;)