Author Topic: Did U2 rip off "pump it up"?  (Read 6140 times)

Offline u2009

• Wanderer
Re: Did U2 rip off "pump it up"?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 09:00:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you're talking about the 22-second high-quality clip on YouTube, yeah I would agree that there's a bit that sounds almost exactly the same. I think if you listen to that U2 clip, you hear two couplets that both have the same basic melody, but the notes have different "timing" or something (I know nothing about music theory or terminology). The second one (heard @ 0:07) sounds almost exactly like this bit of Pump It Up (@ 0:58):

I don't know how it will sound in the context of the full song. I mean, when you add in the chorus & bridge and all that, and the rest of the verses, which may or may not be sung like that, is it really going to matter? Hard to tell until we hear the full song.

I think this is a better version:

It does sound similar in a couple of ways, but I dont believe they ripped off Elvis.

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 09:15:32 PM »
The songs sound vaguely reminiscent of each other but I don't think U2 are in rip-off territory here. Pump It Up IS awesome, I've played that video many times today! I love Elvis' footwork! Just a great, rockin little number.

From what I've been able to tell from the clips of GOYB (sorry, I peaked), it's gonna be a fantastic song, the "change we've been looking for," to RIP OFF a certain presidential candidate.  :D

Offline malcolm-edge

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 11:47:46 PM »
Joe Satriani will sue!

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 02:41:24 AM »
Elvis Costello is a U2 fan so i think, if anything, he'll be flattered.